• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Rise of Deathsong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
This is a campaign that I'm making, with a "non-warcraft" lore, but with a warcrafty style :grin:

Storyline
Sylvia Anor is the leader of the Tharaenor Realm, and is faced with several problems:

The Swamp Lords, who rule the Deathsong swamps, have mysteriously disappeared, and Sylvia believes it to be work of Lady Deathsong, an evil witch who needs Sylvia's blood to bring the Void Gods (the source of all the dark magic) into this world. If so, then the Realm faces an extreme danger. This will be the main setting of the campaign, with Sylvia seeing her suspitions (is this how you say it ?!:eekani:) come true, going to the Swamps, fighting Deathsong,
winning...
, etc...

She'll also see her alliances threatened and her victory against Deathsong compromised, as her allies, the Plain Kingdoms, get involved in a war with their ancient enemy, the Mohr Empire.

In the middle of all these happenings, a new faction arises in the Ayurin Forests (Northern Mohr Empire) fighting the Empire, calling themselves The Valyr. Yet, they show imense power, and neither The Realm nor The Kingdoms find it wise to trust them yet...

Characters

The main character.

Born in Deeptree, with royal blood, daughter of Ganthos Anor, Leader of the Tharaenor at the time, and of Mara Anor, of house Oran, Sylvia and her sister, Lysira, were the only survivors of their house, when the Conquering* began, besides their Grandmother, who was Arch Druid at the time, and so could not be killed, as that would be a sacrilege.
As the Evergreen House slaughtered the palace, the guards managed to get the girls in a merchant caravan that was going to the Dragon Islands. Lysira was the eldest, and took care of her sister for their first year as refugees, until a slave dealer bought Sylvia from the merchants. The sisters got separated, and Sylvia now belonged to a rich man who resided in Embertown.
For years, she was underfed, badly treated and whipped for several times, until she managed to escape and go on a boat to Dorean, a small town in the shores of the nation of Doros. Eventually, she came across the merchants that held Lysira, and helped her get away. Together, the sisters ran away once more. Sylvia was now 20 years and Lysira, 31.

For three years they wandered through the Low Continent**, stealing, living on the worst conditions one could imagine, but, at the same time, learning how to survive, how to fight. Meanwhile, Lysira had given birth to a son, result of a raping. The boy was now 6 years old. A month after his 6th birthday, the three were in Red Town, Inner Doros, where they’d made a friend, a smith called Dalbor, a generous old man, when word came that Sarae Anor was leaving her position as Arch Druid. That would mean her death, as the Evergreens, who had ruled the Realm for that time, a time of tyranny, would not allow her to live, now that she wasn’t in the duty of the Thar. The sisters left Thoros, the boy, with the smith and immediately went to Dorean, where they set sail to Silver Corn, in the Plain Lands, the neighbour kingdom of the Realm, at the cost of all their possessions, where their father’s allies would provide them help.
When they arrived to Silver Corn, Lord Ramos didn’t hesitate in providing them with a ship and money, but said that he could give no more, as the Mohr Empire had recently been beaten, and he had no soldiers available for them. The sisters then went to Wood Harbor.

With their arrival to Wood Harbor, the people’s heart opened for them, as they did not know that the heirs to Deeptree were alive. The girls travelled quietly through the Realm, raising the tumults, starting a rebellion. When they had enough supporters, the Rebels marched upon Deeptree, and reconquered it, killing the tyrannical traitor Slyntos Evergreen and imprisoning all his soldiers and family. A new ruler was sent to the Evergreen Islands and the last survivors of House Anor were proclaimed as the one true royal family by the Tharaeni. Lysira was the heir, but she abdicated and passed the right to Sylvia, who accepted it. Her sister was sent to the Dragon Islands as a special envoy, with the mission to abolish slavery in the Islands. Thoros remained in Deeptree and was raised by Sylvia. Lady Sarae nominated her granddaughter as her successor as an Arch Druid, after a few years of learning and training.
Ten years have passed. Lysira is now 41 years old, Sylvia 30 and her nephew 16. The world is getting quaked: the Swamp Lords have disappeared and no scouts return from the Deathsong Swamps; the Mohr Empire is expanding once more. Lysira’s mission is nearly over, but there are still many slave dealers to be stopped. Furthermore, Sylvia needs an heir of her own, as her nephew, even though an Anor, is still a bastard, and the tharaeni wouldn’t like to see a bastard sitting in the throne. Yet, having a son would mean quitting on her druidic powers, and she cannot afford to lose her abilities in a time of such confusions. Sylvia must quit the throne, due to her duties as an Arch Druid, which is the reason why she needs a rightful heir. Even though, she considers her nephew ready for the crown, and is likely to pass it to him, even if that means displeasing the people.

*The Conquering is how the rebellion of Slyntos would later be called.
**There are two known continents in "our" world: The High Continent (Tharaenor Realm, Plain Kingdoms, Mohr Empire, Great Hills, Dragon Islands and Twisted Islands) and the Low Continent (Siren Islands, Nahat Desert and surrounding countries, Hawk Islands, Sky Islands, and the two nations of Ebora and Naldir)

Thara Vhorn is a druid that lives somewhere near Moonswood, in the Tharaenor Realm. As she hears the moons calling her, telling her about the events that are taking place, and that can shake the very foundations of the world, if not stopped in time, she rides for Deeptree, to warn Lady Anor, only to confirm her suspitions. Thara offers to help Sylvia in the war against darkness, who accepts it.

Once a good creature, she was cheated to learn the dark arts. Thinking she was saving her father from death, she ended up losing herself to the Void Lords, who channeled their power through her, in order to get to this world. For opening the portal that would allow such thing, the blood of the Archdruid was required. Deathsong's first attempt to kill the Archdruid, who was Sarae, at the time, ended up with the destruction of the witch... or so everyone was led to believe. Lady Deathsong is back, and she now seeks Sylvia's blood. Her minions now crawl all over the Deathsong swamps (which were named after her, in order to remember the horrors she had committed in there before), and a dark voice fills the air: her voice, whispering poisonous words that can drive anyone who enters there mad.
Features

• A Complete New Lore
  • New Icons, Models, Skins AND, POSSIBLY, Custom Music
  • QWER ability system
  • No More Boring Cinematics where you just read the subtitles! This is Rise of Deathsong! [rainbow]You've got real voices in here![/rainbow]

General Progress

• Main characters' voice actors selected (thanks to my school mates)
  • Most of the lore, even if not written down, has been imagined/pictured
  • Maps drawn
  • Class nerd selected to make the recordings, the modelling (if he can) and basically any computer stuff that I don't know how to work with...
Map Progress

• Prologue - "Future Storm" - 0%
  • Chapter 1 - "The Dead Marshes" - 80%
  • Chapter 2 - "Unstable Positions" - 3%
  • Interlude - "Bitter Victory" - 0%
  • Chapter 3 - "The Great Escape" - 0%
  • Chapter 4 - "The Golden Alliance" - 2%
  • There will be other chapters, but I haven't settled what will specificaly happen in each of them, nor how many chapters will the campaign have.

Screenshots

• Chapter 1

Screenshot%20-%20A%20Harsh%20situation%20needs%20to%20be%20faced.jpg

Fighting%20the%20Minions.jpg

Fighting%20the%20Voidwalkers.jpg

A%20Wrecked%20Village.jpg
  • Other Maps
    tharaenorforest_fountain-jpg.246587
Techtrees

TharaenorValyrVoid ServantsMen
Tharaenor%20Techtree.jpg
to be added
to be added
to be added

Chapter 1 is live for testing, feel free to play it and give me your feedback:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/rise-of-deathsong-w3n.241875/

Also, thanks a lot to Sclammerz for making the Sylvia Anor and the worker textures for me!

I'll be needing testers for the campaign as well, if anyone's interested just tell me.
So, what do you guys think? Is it worth my time? :ogre_haosis:

Last edited:
Level 30
I like the twists and turns in the story so it would be like that Lady Deathsong is not only the enemy but the Mohr Empire as well and a new neutral force called as Valyr?

Through this story, there are lots of possible happenings to expect here, an interesting story for me to start off this campaign.

As for the features, not that unique but I really like it that there'll be voices now and you are not to only read the dialogues and etc.

Overall, surely it's worth your time, keep going, good luck and happy mapmaking.

Level 6
I like the twists and turns in the story so it would be like that Lady Deathsong is not only the enemy but the Mohr Empire as well and a new neutral force called as Valyr?

That's right, it's known that they opose to the Mohr Empire, but nothing else. They can both ally or fight the Plain Kingdoms and the Tharaenor Realm.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I really like that you've put a lot of story into this. Seems pretty promising from a story perspective since you've written quite a lot. I will make sure to read it and post my opinion.. soon TM.

edit: I like the somewhat brutal story.

However I want to complain about a few logical flaws.

1. Why do the people praise the sisters at the Wood Docks? Anyone can point at a dressed lady surrounded by guards and notice her rank. However, these persons have lived in the wilderness for years and survived by stealing and only god knows what. They don't look like they're whom they claim to be, so how did they prove it? anyone can claim to be of that house.
It could've been because of the Duke, but then again how did HE know that they were the proper heirs? and how did they even gain an audience with him?

2. The sisters run around and start a rebellion by using themselves as figures for the whole campaign. Doesn't the ruling house send assassins after them? I mean you basically make the revolution end in 3 lines. The end battle is not mention either.

Even though I whine about details, I really like the story and the effort you've put into it. If this is explained properly in game it'll be really good I'm telling ya. Unless the gameplay ruins it, this will be an easy 5/5 from me in terms of story. This is truly an under rated project.

Last edited:
Level 6
Well, that's actually a simple (wich might not be so simple) detail I forgot to point out: The Tharaenor race is a bit diferente from regular humans: they're a bit taller, their hair is Brown, as in Brown like the furniture in a house (if it's woden furniture of course :grin: ), their eyes tend to be purple-ish and they also live longer than men. Besides physical traits, the members of this race are known for keeping inside their forests; they rarely have contact with other races and civillizations (except, of course, for the members of royalty, dued to diplomatic issues, and some merchants). The sisters had been known to be missing for many years and when the Lord Ramos sees two Tharaenor girls outside their forests (coming from the Low Continent), with the exactly right age, claiming to be the heirs, he did not exitate in providing them with help (even if they weren't really the heirs, he was aware of the tyrany in the Realm, so he had to put someone else in the throne, for the sake of his own domains and those of the Plains Kingdom); after that, their grandmother could confirm that they were who they claimed to be, by asking the spirits and using her druidic powers and all; the guards that saved them could still be alive - they were the only ones who knew they had gone to the Dragon Isles - and the sisters had but to tell their story for the remaining guards to confirm it.

As for the revolution, well surely he would have sent assassins before, if he knew where the girls were. When they got ashore in Wood Harbor, the Lord's men could confirm who they were and they hid while spreading the word of their return... After that, well, you know how popular revolutions are (it would have been a rebelion similar to that of the 25th of April in 1974, in Portugal, when it comes to speed and bloodshed)

Level 3
Nice storyline, It is refreshing how you picking a fresh new story with no indication to Warcraft universe, I approve of such story. I like how you use a diffrent model for the footman and archers ( love archers, really.) and I would like to see the other two heroes aside the Arch druid.

so far I will look forward for such campaign.

Level 21
This looks great,i just love how each main character has a biography.I'm really fond of maps with a good story and background.I'm looking forward to this.
Good luck and have fun!

P.S.You shall not MIAU!

Level 6
@Archimonde Supreme

I have already miaued!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!

@Sylvie

You know, originaly, I was going to call her Sylvia Blindeye, and she was meant to be a rebel leader in a world of tyrany rulled by goblins, but it didn't turn out very well... (I was actually going to use Daenar7's Blind Witch skin, one of his greatest achievements)

Anyway, I always liked the sound of it, so that's what I called her

@Sclammerz ; @Windrunner29

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Level 6
Hey, is there anyone out there with nice drawing skills who wishes to make some concept art for the Loading Screens? I can't find proper images for some of the chapters, so I'm kinda needing help...

Even if you don't have drawing skills, Uncle Iamxaxas still has some use for you :grin:

if you find a good image to fit the second chapter, please send it to me.

Here's what happens, so you can know what to draw/search for (SPOILERS!):

Sylvia is in the Deathsong Swamps and has resqued Commander Joron from the hands of Deathsong's minions, but Lord Jaedor is late with the reinforcements she asked, so she'll have to hold her position until his arrival. So, basically it's a defense chapter, followed by some base wrecking, when you get the reinforcements. Anyway, she's in the Swamps, so a castle siege won't do for loading screen, what I was looking for was a few warriors holding their shields against their charging enemies OR some ghosts surrounding na army, or anything of that style.

Also, please help spreading the word about this project.

Thank yall for the attention.

Screenies! Forsaken's helping me with the thread, so I'll post them in the main page when it's renewed.

These are from second chapter:

Base.jpg

Yet%20another%20village.jpg

what do you guys think of the druids? (1st screenie, the two fellows with staff, can be trained at that building with the tree, the Norobhel)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
I didn't use the matching icon at the time cause I didn't like (at least I think that was why, it was some time ago), and this skin is only temporary, when I get more advanced with the campaign I'll start searching for a better skin. This one's really great, I mean, Daenar7 is the best skinner/drawer I've ever had the pleasure to find here on Hive, but I don't think this skin fits Sylvia very well, I need something more like the archers' skin, or something that's more forest-with-civilization-like.

Level 6
I've seen them both, but she's a queen, so I can't use the second. And the first one... I don't know, I just don't like it very much...

The Tharaenor style is something between Night Elves and Gilneas

thanks for searching anyway :p

Level 6
After putting some thought into it, I've decided I'll only follow Sylvia's storyline, which means the whole campaign will be around the war in the Deathsong swamps (and who knows where else...). Originaly, I was going to feature both Valyr and Human races, and chapters about the war against the Mohr Empire. However, the campaign would look too confusing, I think, and too big. For such reasons, the Human race is the only one that will appear, and shortly, probably only in one chapter. I'll instead develop a little more the Swamp Dwellers, a race which is kinda like the warcraft trolls, in style (when I say races, I'm talking about different techtrees, not actual "species"; in this world, you only have humans and dwarves, the Tharaenor are a human subspecies). The Dwellers focus on ambushes, poisons and powerful voodoos to defeat their foes.

what do you guys think?

Level 6
Summer Hollidays have started!! I'm back, baby!

Alright, there's a question I have for you guys:

What should a late game upgrade that would give magic imunity to all units cost?
I was thinking 1500G, 450L, 120 seconds to research, and the requirement of the tier 3 main hall, the Forge, and two other upgrades. Is it too expensive/too cheap?

Also, I've decided to add the QWER ability system, so it's easier to cast the abilities.

Besides that, I still need another opinion:

I have been thinking about the development of the chapters, and I've come to the conclusion that, to feature both storylines (Tharaenor vs Deathsong and Plains Kingdom vs Mohr), I would have to make a huge campaign, possibly confusing, because I want them to be very complete. So, I thought that perhaps I should focus only on the Tharaenor part, and leave the other one for, perhaps, a next campaign. (Also, I'm having trouble finding voice actors for all the Plains Kingdom male characters)

Should I do this? What do you all think?

Level 20
Summer Hollidays have started!! I'm back, baby!

Alright, there's a question I have for you guys:

What should a late game upgrade that would give magic imunity to all units cost?
I was thinking 1500G, 450L, 120 seconds to research, and the requirement of the tier 3 main hall, the Forge, and two other upgrades. Is it too expensive/too cheap?

A passive magice immunity would be way to overpowered.Maybe make it into an active that would last for 10-15 seconds M.I that way woulden't be that OP and it would require a good knowledge of the game in order to use it to its full potential.

ALSO

Decreas the gold cost from 1500-->1200 and increase the research time from 120s-->180s

My opinion on this matter

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Too cheap. That should be a end game upgrade. Like 5k gold. Because giving magic immunity to all units is absurd, you're basically disabling half of the mechanics ingame with that. I can actually agree to make it free since it actually blocks your own spells as well. But if it should be cheap you need to have a lot of spells that target allies to make it balanced.

I think it's better to keep it small but good. The chance of finishing the project is much higher then too.

Level 6
Too cheap. That should be a end game upgrade. Like 5k gold. Because giving magic immunity to all units is absurd, you're basically disabling half of the mechanics ingame with that. I can actually agree to make it free since it actually blocks your own spells as well. But if it should be cheap you need to have a lot of spells that target allies to make it balanced.

Noteworthy is the fact that every race will have these "ultimate" upgrades. Still, thanks for the help. Since I'm not very experienced in making techtrees, I thought I should ask.

A passive magice immunity would be way to overpowered.Maybe make it into an active that would last for 10-15 seconds M.I that way woulden't be that OP and it would require a good knowledge of the game in order to use it to its full potential.

I also thought about that, but I'm not very sure. This research would be availuable in a building that's supposed to give late game bonuses, like an ultimate armory, to all units. So perhaps what i'll end up doing will be a building that can both use abilities AND make researches. Thanks for your comment.

Level 6
I'd love to be a tester. You can sign me up.
Btw this looks decent! can't wait to hear the voice acting.

Level 6
Yup, still in progress, but I haven't developped much, right now. First I want to polish the first chapter, but i'm pretty much doing the hardest year at portuguese school, so it'll take a while until I do some advances... but the 1st chapter is playable, for who wants to try it.

Silva, I'll contact you about the testing.

Level 6
What up, fellows?

Started messing around with the second map. After all this time, I finally decided what I'd do with the second chapter, because since I decided to remove the Valyr storyline from the campaign I had to rethink some parts of the first chapters and pretty much everything from the 4th chapter on... Anyway, I should get a screenie soon! :grin:

Here it is:

The%20Bridge%20from%20Chapter%202.jpg

Just a little sneak peak into the map, featuring a bridge with a destroyed fishing village nearby :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.