• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reviving an old map/campaign made in patch 1.26, is it feasible in 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi Hiveworkshop, long time no see

* This is post about reviving a campaign I made in patch 1.26, in current times. I want to take your opinion about the feasibility and what options I have.

* Please take your time to read and help me in my dilemma. English is not my native language and I take longer sentences to explain, so kindly bear with me.

I used to be an active member here almost a decade ago with a different username. Then lost interest in wc3 map making and quit this hobby with the intention of moving on to other stuff. Back then I had an active project here, which had managed to generate a fair amount interest in the community and hence my enthusiam to keep coming back and continue working on it. So when I had decided to quit I had saved the project files externally just because I did not have the heart to simply press delete on all the hard work. So during the extended lockdown out of sheer boredom and nostalgia I rediscovered my love for wc3 map making and decided to work on the project and finish what I had left incomplete. But as expected due to not being active I had no knowledge of the recent developments in the wc3 modding scene, the latest patch changes, reforged and all.

So here is the problem, back then I had designed my project around patch 1.26 and used Jass with JNGP for the scripting. It was a single player rpg campaign with several maps and lots of custom resources. Now I am in a dilemma whether I should continue with the project or just quit as upgrading the patch will certainly break most of the scripting and I will have to manually rewrite thousands of lines of triggers and scripted events. But good thing is I dont have to worry about multiplayer or online. Secondly I wonder if there are people interested in even playing a single player wc3 campaign anymore because I see signs of decline in interest in wc3 in general.

So what should be my course of action, is upgrading to a higher patch and working on the project with new features worth it? Or should I continue with the current patch? Are there people who would even play a single player wc3 campaign in 2021? Or just quit the idea, because I am basically trying to resurrect a dinosaur now (takling about my project).

Help me make a decision please and thanks if you read all this.

P.S: much love and respect here for all the people who contribute to the site by adding resources and posting and I love all the new changes I see here.:peasant-thumbs-up:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Currently the latest patch doesn't support custom campaigns.
If it's fun for you to work on 1.26 or pre-1.32 patches, that's what matters. If you're looking for fans, you might get some but not a whole stadium.

Level 1
Hi thanks for replying deepstrasz
You are right, ultimately it should be about having fun in the process and must not feel like a job. Even ten years back there were not many takers for single player maps but the community was bursting with activity and one could always rely on valubale feedback and insight from experienced modders and map makers. It was a good learning experiece for a novice map-maker. I dont know if something made in 'old-tech' so to speak, will receive the same interest and support now. It is just that I feel after spending so much time and effort on something it is dissapointing to see it go all in vain.
Also, if I am not wrong latest patches dont support Jass?

Also, if I am not wrong latest patches dont support Jass?
Jass is still supported. LUA is optional (but have some serious advantages).

Even ten years back there were not many takers for single player maps but the community was bursting with activity and one could always rely on valubale feedback and insight from experienced modders and map makers
The World Editor Help Zone sub-forum is still pretty good at answering questions, and see a few new people :)

Secondly I wonder if there are people interested in even playing a single player wc3 campaign anymore because I see signs of decline in interest in wc3 in general
I find that campains are fairly popular still. For example: The Invasion of Kalimdor Enhanced was uploaded 11 days ago and has over 1000 downloads and 5 pages of comments, so I'd say that people still care!
This example have a note saying: Patch: 1.27.1 or higher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.