• šŸ† Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. šŸ”—Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Review of one of my missions that will be used in my campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
4/10 - sorry :/

I'm not campaign editor myself, so don't let me judge you solely.

I like the idea, and the main character is fine enough. The mission is a little bit dull though, and the map seems rough and unpolished. Here is a list of a few things I noticed that might help a little bit:

- A lot of gramma mistakes in the text (it's fair if you're not good at this. Instead ask someone to help you)
- Hero Icon is an autocast icon, and it has no grayed out version (when you enter menu i.e.)
- Ability buttons are misaligned in the selection (empty spot in upper left corner)
- The terrain seem a little bit dull - could use some more love
- Try changing the perspective of the camera in the dialogue witht he captain, instead of just swaying back and forth

That's a few things, which may improve it a bit - hope I'm not too harsh ;) I like the idea tho, and this is of course just a single map taken out of context I suppose, so I may be missing some things.

Level 3
4/10 - sorry :/

I'm not campaign editor myself, so don't let me judge you solely.

I like the idea, and the main character is fine enough. The mission is a little bit dull though, and the map seems rough and unpolished. Here is a list of a few things I noticed that might help a little bit:

- A lot of gramma mistakes in the text (it's fair if you're not good at this. Instead ask someone to help you)
- Hero Icon is an autocast icon, and it has no grayed out version (when you enter menu i.e.)
- Ability buttons are misaligned in the selection (empty spot in upper left corner)
- The terrain seem a little bit dull - could use some more love
- Try changing the perspective of the camera in the dialogue witht he captain, instead of just swaying back and forth

That's a few things, which may improve it a bit - hope I'm not too harsh ;) I like the idea tho, and this is of course just a single map taken out of context I suppose, so I may be missing some things.
Thanks for the review. Any tips for making map less dull

Level 21
5/10

Let's start on a positive note first
I like the main character and his personality,and after playing this,I would be willing to play the full campaign.I do actually want to see where this goes
I noticed that near the guards that tell you there was a murder there is a gravestone.I think this is a very nice touch
I also am fond of the fact that there is a secret bandit camp near the start.Things like that add more depth and replayability

Some stuff i noted,which will make the map much better if improved

1.Lots of icon issues.Hero's icon is a autocast icon,ability icon alignment in level up screen is not correct,leaving the top left slot empty and non of the icons have their DISBTN version right,and as such turns green when the game is paused
2.Grammar is pretty bad in some places,but decent overall
3.Quest details are a bit short,they do tell you what to do but i feel like there could be some info added.
4.The Darkforce ability's name has a error,looks like something went wrong when you tried to assign the hotkey
5. After my talk with the bandit mage,my camera was stuck in cinematic mode
6.Some cutscenes took a while to start,such as final one with captain
7.The first cutscene with captain is long and can be quite dull.Add a option to skip it,or play some music from the game while giving different views of the captain and town stuff near him

Hope this has been of help,and good luck with your project!

Level 3
5/10

Let's start on a positive note first
I like the main character and his personality,and after playing this,I would be willing to play the full campaign.I do actually want to see where this goes
I noticed that near the guards that tell you there was a murder there is a gravestone.I think this is a very nice touch
I also am fond of the fact that there is a secret bandit camp near the start.Things like that add more depth and replayability

Some stuff i noted,which will make the map much better if improved

1.Lots of icon issues.Hero's icon is a autocast icon,ability icon alignment in level up screen is not correct,leaving the top left slot empty and non of the icons have their DISBTN version right,and as such turns green when the game is paused
2.Grammar is pretty bad in some places,but decent overall
3.Quest details are a bit short,they do tell you what to do but i feel like there could be some info added.
4.The Darkforce ability's name has a error,looks like something went wrong when you tried to assign the hotkey
5. After my talk with the bandit mage,my camera was stuck in cinematic mode
6.Some cutscenes took a while to start,such as final one with captain
7.The first cutscene with captain is long and can be quite dull.Add a option to skip it,or play some music from the game while giving different views of the captain and town stuff near him

Hope this has been of help,and good luck with your project!
thanks for the reply, this is alpha version and i will try to make it more interesting and fix the issues mentioned above.

Level 5
Thanks for the review. Any tips for making map less dull

Okay, so I played through it again, and I gotta say, that I really like the storyline so far. I want to change my statement of the "mission" being dull, to the map terrain being a bit dull. Because you put a lot of small elements and scenes into the mission, which makes the storyline and the mission itself quite fun to play through - keep up the good work there! :D

In second playthrough I found a few more things, and I'll try to give you some more tips on how to improve it. Sorry if the volume of it seem a bit overwhelming (don't let that put you down). Again, make us of what you want to - I don't expect you to listen to all of it (and probably don't even advice you to) ;)

Gameplay
- You have some areas where you can walk between the tree without anything to find in there. Perhaps put some stuff there, i.e. some barrels with small potions inside or something like that.
- Consider changing either dodge or crit out for another active spell (or perhaps combine them). If you're playing as a single hero throughout the campaign the gameplay can quickly seem a bit dull with only 1 active spell

Cinematic
- In general, the technical part of the cinematics could use some work: Make sure the intro starts in cinematic mode, fix camera after talking to the medivh guy, and you're sending a transmission from the first orcs which is not playing.
- Not sure I'm too fond of all the capslock - fine with some of it, but you're using it a lot :D It feels a bit out of place. might just be me though

Sounds
- Add a sound to the gate opening/close
- Quest Sound: you're using the "quest complete" sound when you recieve your first quest.
- Perhaps consider changing the sound of the hero to something different - he keeps saying that "Frostmourne" hungers :D

Terrain
- Consider to use the Village Fall tileset rather than the lordaeron fall tileset, so you'll get more textures for the village.
- Add some more details to the environment with doodads and the like. To me it helped a lot to play through the original campaigns and see how they designed those in terms of terrain.
- Put some grass beneath the large tree areas in the forest.
- Perhaps consider to smooth out the terrain a bit (it's very bumpy at the moment.
- The mountain thing (where the bandits are) feels a bit weird and out of place. Try add some details there (like rocks, or the like), perhaps make it a bit less linear, and in more terrain levels. And add some trees around it - right now it's just bare.

Anyway, hope you can use some of it ;) Keep up the good work buddy!

Level 3
Okay, so I played through it again, and I gotta say, that I really like the storyline so far. I want to change my statement of the "mission" being dull, to the map terrain being a bit dull. Because you put a lot of small elements and scenes into the mission, which makes the storyline and the mission itself quite fun to play through - keep up the good work there! :D

In second playthrough I found a few more things, and I'll try to give you some more tips on how to improve it. Sorry if the volume of it seem a bit overwhelming (don't let that put you down). Again, make us of what you want to - I don't expect you to listen to all of it (and probably don't even advice you to) ;)

Gameplay
- You have some areas where you can walk between the tree without anything to find in there. Perhaps put some stuff there, i.e. some barrels with small potions inside or something like that.
- Consider changing either dodge or crit out for another active spell (or perhaps combine them). If you're playing as a single hero throughout the campaign the gameplay can quickly seem a bit dull with only 1 active spell

Cinematic
- In general, the technical part of the cinematics could use some work: Make sure the intro starts in cinematic mode, fix camera after talking to the medivh guy, and you're sending a transmission from the first orcs which is not playing.
- Not sure I'm too fond of all the capslock - fine with some of it, but you're using it a lot :D It feels a bit out of place. might just be me though

Sounds
- Add a sound to the gate opening/close
- Quest Sound: you're using the "quest complete" sound when you recieve your first quest.
- Perhaps consider changing the sound of the hero to something different - he keeps saying that "Frostmourne" hungers :D

Terrain
- Consider to use the Village Fall tileset rather than the lordaeron fall tileset, so you'll get more textures for the village.
- Add some more details to the environment with doodads and the like. To me it helped a lot to play through the original campaigns and see how they designed those in terms of terrain.
- Put some grass beneath the large tree areas in the forest.
- Perhaps consider to smooth out the terrain a bit (it's very bumpy at the moment.
- The mountain thing (where the bandits are) feels a bit weird and out of place. Try add some details there (like rocks, or the like), perhaps make it a bit less linear, and in more terrain levels. And add some trees around it - right now it's just bare.

Anyway, hope you can use some of it ;) Keep up the good work buddy!
Thanks for pointing out what should i do...i will upgrade it as much as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.