Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Discussion in 'Warcraft Editing Tools' started by Retera, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Retera Any updates on how to fix the player color issue on converted HD models for SD yet? Still showing white...

2. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wouldn't you need to create a new diffuse texture, with its alpha taken from the ORM alpha, and prepend a team colored layer for this to work?
    Then again, maybe the model editor is supposed to support that and I don't know.

3. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    That's probably something you're always going to have to fix by hand since you have to 'bake' a new texture file for it, and doing it 'automatically' could run into its own issues (Reforged models freely will use the Alpha layer for transparency effects which doesn't work too well with the SD team color Blending method so you can't 'universally' change them all like that)

4. Mechanic

Mechanic

Resources:
    Resources:
    I fixed the player color issue. I will have to color the whole players in one team to be red, and same thing for other team to be blue, though. Anyway. How do you spin a lot faster in one of nodes? Like, if you scale the footer from 60,000 to 1,000... it would be spin a lot faster, but still... the main node is 60,000... and there's other node that linked to this main node that need to be spin a lot faster, but it's in 60,000 and it's going so slow spinning...

EDIT: Nevermind. I found out. Thanks, though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  5. Hjorleif

Hjorleif

Resources:
    Resources:
    This issue seems to still persist, just thought you should know @Retera

This happens when opening the Keeper of the Grove or Cenarius models in your editor.

Attached Files:

6. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    I've occasionally used the Animation Transfer module and sometimes it won't remove the old animation data when replacing all animations. Sometimes it does work, but sometimes it doesn't; doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I only noticed this recently when some of the transferred animations would occasionally have properties of a 'ghost' animation that used to be on the model.

If I transfer over the animations a second time that usually clears out the old ones completely.

7. SayazEmil

SayazEmil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks it seems i had a february version, in both of the march versions i got reforged names in my versions language but, some units are shown with a wrong model kinda, for example elven swordsman is shown a captain, void walker versions are the void walker and forest trolls are confused. Do you also have an intruction for adding animations and changing colors?

8. Xardian

Xardian

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Got a bit of an issue, maybe someone can help... maybe its just a lack of knowledge, but well... its a hacky workflow... soooo
    Anyways
    So I was trying to convert one of my old models to Reforged. So I learned how to create Normal maps, how to create ORM files, and then tried to hack it together in the tools I have.

So first things first, I created my Diffuse, Normal, and ORM map in GIMP. I did not add an alpha layer to the normal or ORM texture.
    Then, to actually implement the textures, I went to Margos, where I loaded the Normal and ORM texture into the material hierarchy. Diffuse -> Normal -> ORM So that ORM was rendered above everything else.
    I did that for the skin maps of my model, I am still using blp textures for the eyes and hair.

Then I loaded up the model into Reteras, where it wouldnt display right. So I changed the format from 800 -> 1000
    Then, I saved the file as mdl to edit the material and textures, I checked how it was done on the NE Archer model, added a few lines, namely "static emmissive 1" to each material layer and the "shader "Unit_HD_Default" " line to the overall material.

After I did that, I loaded it up in Reteras, where it works normally, and shows correctly.
    However, when I imported the model into the world editor, I got a CTD as soon as I tried to select the model for a unit.

I originally created the model using mdlvis and Margos. (Mdlvis for modelling, rigging, and animating, Margos to calculate extents and import new textures.)

So yea, absolutely any help would be massively appreciated. As it stands, I have no access to actually good tools, aside Blender (with which I have no expirience) where I dont have any working conversion tools.
    I cant even convert and load the model into any other platform to test the material files.

9. SebioL

SebioL

Resources:
    Resources:
    Definitely ... If Retera's corrects some of its most common mistakes, getting a three-dimensional rotation browser for the vertices, improving the ability to manage texture materials by each Geoset and with a good UV map editor.
    Rest assured that we will have a War3Magos and MdlVis in your pocket, being able to extinguish all these archaic tools from our machines!
    In this way, Retera's will then become more practical and updated, it will be the biggest and best editor that can exist.
    Disregarding the 3DSMax modders class, of course, disputing quality with them is even a joke!

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I really hope our collective love for his tool will encourage him to improve it further. Because it is more or less the only option for Reforged modelling at this point.

11. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    someone says Halakh is buggy

context: he needs his eyepatch to put on Rend Blackhand

12. Thuj

Thuj

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey! Yeah, it feels like a problem with my directory. I go into my programs and choose the the right warcraft folder. But I only end up with access to like 90% of the models. I feel think it could be something I'm doing, but I'm not sure.

13. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Use the data browser instead it has all of them :)

14. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, not sure if I posted it here or not, but just as a heads up to try to add to the transparency of the development of this tool and also make a general space where it's even easier for people to bother me, I created a discord server called Retera Model Studio Users Group.

Obviously some people have criticized that this is not necessary and I should just read this forum, and there's quite a bit of merit to that argument, but I've been a bit of a discord addict and so I wanted this to be an option for people who need a way to bother me to get updates, at least for as long as until I start ignoring discord like how I was accidentally ignoring this thread.

Join the Retera Model Studio Users Group Discord Server!

Maybe I'll also put this in my hive signature.

As always, I can't guarantee any particular feature getting implemented because I am just a hobbyist but I will try to make what I can. As some of you may know, I basically abandoned this project for most of the last several months while I was trying to rewrite the entire game of Warcraft III so that I would have an option to keep using the Retera Model Studio tool with the old format of models and not feel obligated to use the new format. However, the Starcraft 2 patches got me concerned that Blizzard is just going to push Warcraft 3 players to Starcraft 2 so for me at least until I would go dust off the abandoned code repo of the project tentatively titled "m3trix eater" it is currently the case that the path of least resistance for me is to try to support my tool as much as possible for Patch 1.32 users rather than being an anti establishment guy that I was trying to be.

The "Retera Model Studio" tool is still meant to eventually just be one of the possible windows in the Warsmash World Editor, though. But we can't talk about that, because I didn't do any of it yet.

Edit: I also updated the front page with the 08.03 nightly build, there were a bunch of builds between 03.03 and 08.03 but I just sent them to specific people and was lazy about it because I still feel like the tool is not done.

Also, I reached out to a Blizzard employee regarding the SNEM and SNDS chunks that were missing in Magos and Mdlvis, but (I think) may have existed in the game for the past 15 years and simply never (or almost never) been used. I'm hoping that I can get support for that so that a model made with Retera Model Studio would be able to play arbitrary sound files given a file path, instead of an EventObject with an in-game sound key. It's small, but it could be fun.

The guy I happened to be talking to didn't tell me much more than what BlinkBoy and Ghostwolf and written about in the past, but I think we're getting a little bit closer.

My MDL format specifications are getting closer to the one mentioned earlier in this thread, but it is still true even with the latest version of my code that an MDL text format file saved with my tool from an HD model is not going to work when imported into the World Editor in most cases. I'm just not done yet, that's all.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey Retera, I'm considering learning some Java so I can help contribute to RMS (no promises though, I'll probably be too lazy). What IDE would you recommend (preferably not VS, rather use something open source)?

16. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    It actually has a pretty substantial problem that my code only works for sure on Eclipse 2018-09. I know that's really stupid and I actually did get the code to open on IntelliJ in the past and I was able to use that as well, but not without a few configuration tweaks.

From the building from src thing on that discord (i really need to add this to the github readme):

17. watterboy

watterboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweet tool - trying to mess around with it right now.

I'm getting lots of errors though it seems. For instance, when I try Add->Animation->Single, I keep getting this error

Unable to parse PopcornFxEmitter: Missing or unrecognized open statement.

Unknown error occurred:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.MDL.deepClone(MDL.java:196)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.MDL.addAnimationsFrom(MDL.java:836)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.addSingleAnimation(MainPanel.java:4947)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.actionPerformed(MainPanel.java:4547)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Also - is there a way to add an additional animation, rather than replace? I.E, give a unit an Attack - Slam animation who doesn't have one already?
    Scripts->Edit/Delete model components gives me an error right away to when I try to use it.

Edit: one other thing - it would be great if there was a SaveAs -> .M3 format. I know thats probably asking a lot and maybe not feasible, but it would be awesome to use these in the updated SC2 editor!

Thanks!

18. watterboy

watterboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I downloaded the 2020/03/03 version and it doesn't look like I'm getting that popcornemitter error - it seems like it is specifically related to Hero model animations and trying to apply them to other Heroes or regular units - but in the 2020/03/03 version it works just fine. Still can't get the "Edit/Delete model components" to work though.

19. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Try opening the mdl file in notepad and replacing PopcornFxEmitter with ParticleEmitterPopcorn.

Edit: alternatively, convert the model back to mdx with the older version of RMS and open the mdx file in the newer version.

20. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    There is a typo in the latest build that causes the Popcorn Particle Emitters to be unable to parse in newly saved MDL files. The issue is with the parser, not with the code that saves the file. I will most likely publish a fixed version in a few hours. I have the fix working locally but might make a few other changes tonight.