• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Religion is BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
addiscartoon.jpg

Level 40
Ah, the days when people forget what a comic is. However, it's hardly stereotypical if it's a population-based decision and the majority of religious people whine about due to being "persecuted for their religious beliefs" whenever they're told anything to the contrary, and then go out and proselytize or otherwise tell people that they are the One True Faith[size=-1]TM[/size].

Level 34
Ah, the days when people forget what a comic is.
I totally agree.
It's funny because it's true. xD

[1]However, it's hardly stereotypical if it's a population-based decision[1] and the [2]majority of religious people whine about due to being "persecuted for their religious beliefs" whenever they're told anything to the contrary,[2] and then go out and proselytize or otherwise tell people that they are the [3]One True Faith[size=-1]TM[/size].[3]
[1] What decision?
[2] What whining? I see people defending their faith when they are told it's "bullshit".
[3] Do you not believe that whatever it is you believe in, is true? Do you not disagree with what we believe in?

Level 40
[1] What decision?
I'm referring to the US of A primarily.

[2] What whining? I see people defending their faith when they are told it's "bullshit".
Comics of Mohammed, atheists simply existing (least trusted group in the US), have to be Christian to be president, blatantly wrong pro-religion ads but protests when others put up ones that contradict them, etc, etc, etc.

[3] Do you not believe that whatever it is you believe in, is true? Do you not disagree with what we believe in?
Yeah, but I don't try to censor them, nor do I try to control their lives, and nor do I pick my relationships based on whether they conform to my belief system.

As I said, not all religious people do this, but it isn't exactly a small fraction who do.

Level 35
Surely, I agree with your arguments, Poot. But as I said before, people tend to over-react things on both sides. I mean, I often got disrespected for being religious, without an apparent reason (more commonly irl). No supporting arguments or a valid reason besides them not being religious. Sure, I respect they're atheists and all, but I just don't understand why I shouldn't be offended if they go like "Is that a cross? Fuck you, you're religious". This case is way more common in real life than supplying anything with valid arguments. I don't know how this goes in the States, I live in a whole different atmosphere.

About the Mohammed comics, according to Islamic beliefs, none can portrait Mohammed in any way and simply drawing him is offensive to their religion, not to mention the way he was drawn.

About the "Ah, the days when people forget what a comic is" part, I don't believe you can simply draw anything with the excuse of being a comic. I'm not talking about this case in particular. But you can offend anyone with a comic, just like with jokes or words.

Level 34
I'm referring to the US of A primarily.
I'm still not following, sorry.

Comics of Mohammed, atheists simply existing (least trusted group in the US), have to be Christian to be president, blatantly wrong pro-religion ads but protests when others put up ones that contradict them, etc, etc, etc.
Yeah, people get upset at all kinds of things, and I would argue that religious people are no more "whinny" than anyone else. Atheists may not whine about religion, but they whine about plenty of other things, like religious people. :p

As well, it seems obvious that a Christian would vote for a Christian, they're generally going to have similar beliefs. I would say that a pro-choice will vote for a pro-choice president, and a gay will vote for someone that supports gay marriage. It's not just religious.

Yeah, but I don't try to censor them, nor do I try to control their lives, and nor do I pick my relationships based on whether they conform to my belief system.
Neither do I.

As I said, not all religious people do this, but it isn't exactly a small fraction who do.
Of course, and it goes both ways. That's why rather than complaining about people, look at what the belief/religion actually teaches. That's one reason I'm Catholic, it's got strong leadership, and clearly defined beliefs. If a Catholic ever tries to force their belief, they aren't practicing their faith properly. The Church teaches you to propose, not impose. Unfortunately a lot of people forget that.

Level 15
I spell God in capital letters but I am an agnostic. I seriously dislike many forms of religion, but none suck as bad as satanism. I mean really, thanks for using THE BIBLE for demon reference... thanks for coming. Well many cults died out, it just needs mention.

Level 40
UI

Surely, I agree with your arguments, Poot. But as I said before, people tend to over-react things on both sides. I mean, I often got disrespected for being religious, without an apparent reason (more commonly irl). No supporting arguments or a valid reason besides them not being religious. Sure, I respect they're atheists and all, but I just don't understand why I shouldn't be offended if they go like "Is that a cross? Fuck you, you're religious". This case is way more common in real life than supplying anything with valid arguments. I don't know how this goes in the States, I live in a whole different atmosphere.
I don't know of many people, online or irl, who pull that sort of thing. Also, you have to keep in mind that both sides do it, it just isn't obvious when your side does because it seems normal.

Also, religious people avoid logic, so having logical discussions with them is pointless (though it can be entertaining) - that's what faith is, after all; believing in something when there is no evidence for it and often a lot of evidence against it.

About the Mohammed comics, according to Islamic beliefs, none can portrait Mohammed in any way and simply drawing him is offensive to their religion, not to mention the way he was drawn.
But that doesn't mean it should be taken down.

About the "Ah, the days when people forget what a comic is" part, I don't believe you can simply draw anything with the excuse of being a comic. I'm not talking about this case in particular. But you can offend anyone with a comic, just like with jokes or words.
Yeah, but people often mix satire and reality when it's obvious satire. And then there is Poe's law.

As well, it seems obvious that a Christian would vote for a Christian, they're generally going to have similar beliefs. I would say that a pro-choice will vote for a pro-choice president, and a gay will vote for someone that supports gay marriage. It's not just religious.
It doesn't have to do with all those things. It has to do with them being or not being a Christian.

Notice how in the last election the republicans did not say "OBAMA HAS BAD POLICIES!". They said "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM!" (which he isn't).

You obviously totally misunderstood something. I was merely stating that according to Islamic beliefs, noone can draw Mohammed. Breaking that and slapping it with an offensive way those pics were drawn is a total disrespect to their beliefs.
Fuck their beliefs. Just because you believe something doesn't mean everyone should bend to it.

Level 34
I don't know of many people, online or irl, who pull that sort of thing. Also, you have to keep in mind that both sides do it, it just isn't obvious when your side does because it seems normal.
I've had plenty of people instantly dislike me for my faith, perhaps your last line explains why you would think it doesn't happen.

Also, religious people avoid logic, so having logical discussions with them is pointless (though it can be entertaining) - that's what faith is, after all; believing in something when there is no evidence for it and often a lot of evidence against it.
Not this again. No evidence? Did you mean to say no proof? There's a huge difference, and you seem to mix them up a lot. I also fail to see how I've avoided logic.

It doesn't have to do with all those things. It has to do with them being or not being a Christian.
As well, it seems obvious that a Christian would vote for a Christian, they're generally going to have similar beliefs.

I really think you presume too much. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling you just say Christians are "this or that", without really knowing. Being Christian, I naturally get to know a lot of other Christians, especially Catholics, and we aren't the dumb, illogical people you make us out to be.

Level 40
Not this again. No evidence? Did you mean to say no proof? There's a huge difference, and you seem to mix them up a lot. I also fail to see how I've avoided logic.
Do you or do you not adhere to faith and dogma?

As well, it seems obvious that a Christian would vote for a Christian, they're generally going to have similar beliefs.
Not true. Baptists, for example, are far different from, say, Catholics.

I really think you presume too much. I could be wrong, but I get the feeling you just say Christians are "this or that", without really knowing. Being Christian, I naturally get to know a lot of other Christians, especially Catholics, and we aren't the dumb, illogical people you make us out to be.
Dumb? I did not say that. Illogical? The nature of faith is illogical. I say what I see Christians doing on the grand scale with experience of Christians doing these things on the grand scale.

I seriously dislike many forms of religion, but none suck as bad as satanism. I mean really, thanks for using THE BIBLE for demon reference... thanks for coming. Well many cults died out, it just needs mention.

Funnily enough, satanism is closer to free will than many of the religions present in this side of the world. We can do as we please, everyone seems to think Satanists are goat-killing psychopaths. Actual satanists have free will, no shit rules telling us 'no' to good things like sex. Speaking of which, I'm fairly sure Christianity was founded by jealous, lonely virgins.

Level 20
God. Nobody have never-ever-never-ever-never-ever seen him/it and people still believe on something that was told two thousand years ago. On the beginning of the times church was just used to make money and so they could say "dont do that or god kills you" blabla.

Level 35
God. Nobody have never-ever-never-ever-never-ever seen him/it and people still believe on something that was told two thousand years ago. On the beginning of the times church was just used to make money and so they could say "dont do that or god kills you" blabla.

I just love how everyone uses this argument and completely ignores everything good that Christianity ever did...like...I donno, the billions of faithful people throughout history who have done good things in Christ's name even though history never recorded them.

Level 27
Personally I just think the bible's a work of fiction and christianity, judaism, and islam are its fanclubs :D

Be happy, smile :D

I just love how everyone uses this argument and completely ignores everything good that Christianity ever did...like...I donno, the billions of faithful people throughout history who have done good things in Christ's name even though history never recorded them.

The bible... was written like centuries ago right? Well, i don't believe they were really smart back then were they?

And, the bible was rewritten or edited a lot of times right?... bit suspicious if you ask me =/

I tend to believe that these kind of religions only survived because they were unlike Paganism, they have a solution for the creation of everything while paganism had gods like Thor etc. who were supposed to cause lightning... well you would pretty much of a fool to believe in those kind of things at this time don't you. Simply because we know how everything works up there, we know the world is not flat etc.

The only thing we didn't fix yet is the source of all creation and death. We are in the middle, like the number 1 is in the middle of 0 and 2. 0 is the beginning (big bang/god?) and 2 is the end (death).

And then again, a very childish question but then again true you could always ask;

If god created all this who created god? or...
If the big bang caused all this to be created than what caused the big bang?

So... euhm... infinity anyone? =p

(Btw is this thread going to end up like all the other religion threads? and did i fuck it up just by saying that, we will see ^^)

Level 7
It already got fucked up by Super-Sheep and his kin, posting one sentence, idiotic shouts. Purple and Gilles seem to be the only ones really discussing. But, well, this all started with some video I didn't even watch, it's not like it's a discussion in that Medivh's Tower (which I've never visited).

Level 4
Personally, I feel religions was created(and still exists) because the humans back then did not have the explanation to everything(we can't explain everything yet either..?).

Example: Christian religion has its base in Jesus. Jesus was sent to earth so he could die and secure all humans a place in heaven.
Now, this basically is a "ensurance" that when you die, things does not just turn black.
And to add some sparks to the stories, it was added some miracles, and a virgin-birth.
Who, knows. Maybe he was the son of God. Maybe he was just some kind of wierdo.( I mean no offense to anyone)
Tho the essence of this is that, it worked. Millions of people around the world are still talking about this guy. 2.000 years later and many still follows his guidelines.

Later on I think the religions kinda converted, and started focusing more on human relationships. And the small societies in the religions became more important also.
Why? Well, I would believe it was because the science were catching up on them. Lots of things that the religion explained was been proven wrong by science. So they turned to one of the things science yet had not touched.
The mind of a human being.
The mind, or soul(?), of a human being was yet unexplained. Therefore the religions sought to be spiritual guides more than explanations.

Anyway, who knows at all? It might just be a greater being playing "sandbox" with us, and soon his/her mom calls him/her to dinner and the creature decides to destroy us.
:pal:
[/walloftext]

btw. Great video ^^

Level 19
Atheists may not whine about religion, but they whine about plenty of other things, like religious people. :p

...like you complain about nonreligious people and religion?

Yeah, people get upset at all kinds of things, and I would argue that religious people are no more "whinny" than anyone else.

No, they just do it in the form of a prayer or a religious plea, rather than rationalizing.
"Why god? Why?!"

Come on, we both know that's not true. It's pretty much all about religion, that's why we've never had an [openly] atheist president.

Of course, and it goes both ways. That's why rather than complaining about people, look at what the belief/religion actually teaches. That's one reason I'm Catholic, it's got strong leadership, and clearly defined beliefs. If a Catholic ever tries to force their belief, they aren't practicing their faith properly. The Church teaches you to propose, not impose. Unfortunately a lot of people forget that.

Sure, that's what they want you to get out of church; but I hate the church itself. It is a terribly murderous historical institution. You're imposing on your own faith if you think that leadership and teachings of life is all that Catholicism is, and was.

Level 12
Atheists are annoying because they are always trying to prove God doesn't exist with BS like this, and Christians are all annoying because they try to convince you that God does exist.

Everybody wants to force their beliefs on everybody else. Atheists belief just happens to be nothing, and they want everyone to believe in nothing. Christians belief just happens to be in a divine being, and they want everyone to believe in a divine being.

Do I make my point? Seriously I think atheists are JUST AS BAD as Christians when it comes to forcing their beliefs down others throats. Even if they don't try to convince you there isn't a God, they make fun of you. So which is worse, making fun of somebody for their beliefs, or telling other people what they should believe in?

Pro-death (You probably know it as pro-choice) people should all burn in hell by the way. There I said my belief, and now what are you going to do, tell me there is no hell? Doesn't matter because I still think you should burn in the "imaginary" place.

To be honest, Christianity and all of those similar religions are an insult, to me and my race, what with all of the schools, the ethnic cleansing and loss of culture brought over from Europe to early Canada and the U.S.

Add that to the Crusades and plenty of other things, then look at what it's promoting, good will, loving everyone, pretty much just acceptance and respect, and what do you come out with? Lies. During the Crusades, Jews could be imprisoned on a whim, during the Colonization of North America, an entire race lost their land, their language and their culture, in many cases because of Euro-centric trash that would call the native people 'abominations' or an 'affront to god'. I'm also fairly sure that the same thing happened to the Aztecs, Mayans or whichever of them was wiped out around that same point in time.

...How could a religion that lies through its teeth be able to get as many followers?

Level 4
But isnt it great that we have the possibility to believe whatever we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.