• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rat Maze V.3.0 Omega

269412-dea578915641a7bb4f63bc5454921c23.png

RAT MAZE V.3.0 Omega
Project made by MrFrichyBoy

Escape/Survival Map
1-6 Players
Large Map

Goal: To survive and navigate your way through a labyrinth. Be wary of foes who are trying to kill you. From Panthers to PacMen, and even a Hunter who is tracking you down, along with many more enemies. The Maze is a dangerous place for a rodent. Be sure to bring a friend or two (or even five) to better your odds of survival and to increase your enjoyment! There are seven hidden minigames to be discovered! If you are looking for a challenging, fun, and new Warcraft experience be sure to download Rat Maze!
*This game is designed for Reforged, but it can be played on Classic Warcraft*

Lore: The Great Horned One puts every Rat through the ultimate challenge to see who is worthy of ascending into a Skaven! The Great Horned One is a wicked and foul deity, that only receives pleasure from pain and despair. To please this Demonic God, we must survive and escape his hellish labyrinth. This will not be an easy task, do YOU have what it takes to beat his "Rat Maze" and ascend into Rathood!?

Pacmen: Big greenish-yellow blobs who love to eat Rats and buildings! These are the most plentiful of the different enemy types, they kill all who get too close to them. They do have one weakness, they are the slowest antagonist of the rodent.
213937-3aae794d3597a7c148e43d7ceab81ba5.png

BIGMEN: Bigmen are purple Pacmen who are larger, faster, and more dangerous!
216918-c11a817f73f66e4ad49f19fa87cd8829.png

Panthers: Large black felines who are looking for a tasty rat snack! These foes are fast and attack for a moderate amount of damage. They are semi-common so always keep an eye out for them!
216919-f13e002684fdc5b5437cf7d279c6272b.png

Owl Predators: No matter where you hide, they will find you! They are fast moving flyers, whose attacks slow their enemy and deals low damage. Always have an escape plan ready when these predators are out and about!
216924-2a4859147e11f1f0570ec66e5bbc5c42.png

SNAKE: Smallest predator of the humble Rat. They move at a moderate speed, deal low-moderate damage, their attacks have venom, and they have weak ranged attacks. They use invisibility to sneak up on their prey!
222560-5a41598c42536992a35b1073664a7101.png

BullFrog: These semi-heavy hitters, make base building a whole lot harder to do! They can hop over the labyrinth walls or over your defenses. They move at a slow//moderate speed, they are sturdy, and deal a healthy amount of damage!

230213-dd838771182dae75527dd9d59dcbb78d.png

DOOMSDAY/S: Don't be fooled by their smaller stature, these are the deadliest of all the different types of Pacmen! They are moderately fast, but they have ranged attacks where they sling blood at there targets. They directly target Rats and don't die as easily. Caution is highly recommended!
216922-408e136bae56c6de7f3910af8d74a344.png

The Hunter: The scariest and most menacing creature to the humble Rat is of course the Hunter! They slowly move across the map always on the tail of a Rat, setting traps here and there. They can one shot any Rat no matter the size from a crazy distance. To survive against the Hunter, you will need to be able to out smart him.

216925-aef16948dc1341808b62708357d98a9b.png

MINIGAMES

Maze: Navigate your way through a narrow path while a Rat Basher Orge tries to smash you. Watch out for the mortars that will be launched at you!

Collapsing Tunnel: Enter a tunnel where the walls are crumbling every second. Try to find the valuable loot inside before you get buried alive!

Mating Game: Everyone knows a Rats ultimate purpose is to repopulate. Keep your genetics alive and find the elusive female rat in a swarm of male rats.

Infestation: Create a Rat Nest and infest the house of an Exterminator.

Gladiator: Defend your Castle, while endless swarms of Skaven attack!
216926-2d8a22c93826c784c336f1caaceba21e.png

Puzzle: A mysterious puzzle where the instructions are hidden and can only be cracked by the smartest of Rats!
215479-a24d322cb47d50cea976f13bed8e65ce.png
SnakePit: Take part in a suicide mission conducted by the Skaven Army. Your mission is to collect Warpstone infused mushrooms and to escape the hole infested with snakes!

GLOBAL EVENTS

Every 5 Minutes of gameplay a random global event takes place. You can receive a speed boost from the God of all Rats (Blessing from the Great Horned One). While the other events help the opposite team.
Clear Weather: Nothing Happens.
Blood Moon: The three types of Pacmen get a temporary speed boost.
Rainy Weather: The Owls receive a speed boost as well.
Hunters Bloodlust: The Hunter or Hunters receive a hyper speed boost, and place 7 random Rat traps across the map that stuns the Rats.

Changelog:
Omega:
-Fixed Cheese-Factory glitches/bugs
-Added an upgrade to the Attack Towers
-Made a short tutorial for the game
-Fixed the wander mechanic for all the enemy unit types
-Fixed the Second Chance power
-Fixed torches, they now increase how far you can see
-Remade the Loading Screen again and fixed the QR discord invite link
-Added a new power for the Rats "Luck of the Rat"
-Made the Collapsing Tunnel minigame have semi-random loot and random loot placement
-Updated Misc. Text throughout the game
-Added a Pet Mouse (Carries items and is invulnerable)
-Fixed Cheese-Mines (barricades are the return point for gold collection)
-Added mana regeneration power to Rat Souls
-Added new item called "Rodent Friendly Remote (RFR)" that allows players to use the type-able commands by simply clicking
-Fixed random cinematic bugs throughout the map
-Removed 155 triggers!!!!
-Made a lot of little changes between the different game modes
-Fix MANY... MANY leaks throughout the entire game
-Not to mention, way too many things to list (More things that were completed are listed on my discord :grin:)

Tips

I have two super important tips for you before you attempt the treacherous Rat Maze.

1) Team work is critical for a high success rate. Be sure to revive your fellow Rats before they are permanently dead (you have 35 seconds to do so).
2) This game is designed differently than almost every Warcraft game.
Be sure to try different
strategies and keep an open mind!

Discord
269411-21670fa4d51c85fada3872eef66f07ba.png
https://discord.gg/VFnF7FkUFy

Credit
*Thank you to everyone who made this game possible, from those who made the models to those who play tested the beta versions. This game wouldn't be here without the awesome community built around Warcraft!*[/CENTER]

Special Thanks: To All_Time_Pro//Wisetroll for being a mentor and being key to the history of Rat Maze :)!
To Sjfrich & Frichinator for testing the beta versions!
Music Credit:
All of these songs come from Bensound (https://www.bensound.com/)
Tracklist:
Clearday, funnysong, allthat, sexy, sunny, energy, epic, and evolution.
The other songs:
Rat in a Maze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTLh3U_VbI
The Disappeared: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juke8UrosNA&list=PLbjzkeC2Dc3cN8zb3qJjAfvrGhu7yDarP&index=8
Horned Rat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhsOA7BJTT0&list=PLbjzkeC2Dc3cN8zb3qJjAfvrGhu7yDarP&index=7

Skins/models Credit:
RFR(staff looking item): 8512590215848
Bullfrog: Freddyk
Secret Shop: Grendel
Panther: Dan van Ohllus (aka Kuhneghetz)
Skaven Clanrat: Gluma
Skaven Machinegun: Gluma
Owl Predator: grunt
Sniper: purparisien
Torch: Xardian
DeathPalace: Vinz
Tiger Icon: Kuhneghetz
Ratbasher: Mister_Haudrauf
Pirate-ship: Dreacon
DemonPrince: Villagerino
Bear Trap: General Frank
Pacman: I don't have any username or name to give credit to this person. Feel free to reach out to me, if you are the person who made it or if you know the person who made it.
Cave-Claw: HerrDave
Helghast Shock Trooper: Fingolfin
Assault Gun: Fingolfin
Nest: Ujimasa Hojo
Cheese: D.O.G.
warpstone mushrooms: Jhonny Janbo
Crystal: eubz
Wood: Draknyte1
snake model: eubz
If I forgot anyone from this list please hmu, and I will be sure to correct that :)!
Fan-Made Poem (@inmymind//inmybrain)
In a pixelated world, a maze unfurls,
A game called "Rat Maze," where courage swirls.
With whiskers twitching, a rodent's quest,
Through labyrinthine paths, it's put to the test.

In a cheese-lined labyrinth, our hero's plight,
A rodent's adventure, a daring flight.
Avoiding the jaws of voracious Pacmen's chase,
Our rat dashes through, quickening its pace.

Panthers prowl with eyes aglow,
In the shadows, they seek to throw,
A furry target off its course,
But the rat persists, showing no remorse.

Owls with feathers, silent flight,
Swoop down from above, a fearsome sight.
Their talons sharp, their beaks so keen,
But the rat's determination remains unseen.

Hunters lurk with cunning snare,
Traps and tricks, a deadly affair.
Yet, the rat's instincts, sharp and keen,
Guide it through danger, remain unseen.

In this digital world of peril and chase,
"Rat Maze" unfolds, an exciting race.
With each twist and turn, a new surprise,
As our nimble rat eludes all eyes.

A game of strategy, courage, and grace,
In the heart of the maze, our hero finds its place.
Through challenges aplenty, it weaves and darts,
In the world of "Rat Maze," where adventure starts.
Contents

Rat Maze V.3.0 Omega (Map)

Reviews
Wazzz
Review time. Rat Maze is a relatively simple concept, where players will need to work together to navigate the labyrinth and survive the oncoming waves of enemies. Truly, you are a rat in a maze trying to find enough cheese to make ends meet, and...
Re-review. I asked the author to stream it via Discord. Chatted with him during the tests and play through. The game itself is quite fun and offers a big variety of interesting mechanics and entertainment. The mini game in which you have to build...
Level 35
Review time.

Rat Maze is a relatively simple concept, where players will need to work together to navigate the labyrinth and survive the oncoming waves of enemies. Truly, you are a rat in a maze trying to find enough cheese to make ends meet, and there are minigames as well.

The playstyle is very simple, although with the scarcity of resources most of what you will likely be doing will be running around and running away. There are plenty of items to pickup, making some of the potential early purchases worthless when you can pick up these non-stacking items for free. For some reason, these non-stackable items are also able to be purchased multiple times to no benefit, which is a big detriment in my eyes.

The Cheese stacks are impractical at present. Picking these up can stack up to 20 times before occupying another space, and there does not appear to be a way to drop these items, so you can very easily end up losing inventory space for something that isn't worth anything after picking it up for the 15 gold.

There is a good variety of enemies with different behaviors, some just behaving like bigger versions of the original Pacmen that will spawn in, others moving faster but not being an instant-kill scenario, one hunting you down any time the AI has vision of you. The minigames add a bit of variety to what could otherwise become a stagnant playstyle, too, although they don't seem particularly well designed. The Gladiator minigame, for instance, has you use a Daemon Prince hero to fight off hordes of Skaven who are zeroing in on trying to destroy your castle. One of the skills you can choose is Thorns Aura, which does absolutely nothing since the Skaven don't ever attack you. When you lose (and this is a very strong possibility), a message is sent to everybody informing them that you do not know how to play Warcraft. Generally, it's not a good idea to insult players after they inevitably fail a mini-game that isn't that well designed to begin with, but also has quite a high level of difficulty and, not to mention, doesn't have that much to do with Warcraft's playstyle at all.

The map's alright, it's nothing too inspired but it's serviceable enough. There's the occasional typo ("Accquired" instead of "Acquired", for example), but those sorts of things are easily forgiven and easy enough to fix. For the above mentioned reasons, I will be rating this a Simple resource, and hopefully people have fun with it :)

Level 7
Review time.

Rat Maze is a relatively simple concept, where players will need to work together to navigate the labyrinth and survive the oncoming waves of enemies. Truly, you are a rat in a maze trying to find enough cheese to make ends meet, and there are minigames as well.

The playstyle is very simple, although with the scarcity of resources most of what you will likely be doing will be running around and running away. There are plenty of items to pickup, making some of the potential early purchases worthless when you can pick up these non-stacking items for free. For some reason, these non-stackable items are also able to be purchased multiple times to no benefit, which is a big detriment in my eyes.

The Cheese stacks are impractical at present. Picking these up can stack up to 20 times before occupying another space, and there does not appear to be a way to drop these items, so you can very easily end up losing inventory space for something that isn't worth anything after picking it up for the 15 gold.

There is a good variety of enemies with different behaviors, some just behaving like bigger versions of the original Pacmen that will spawn in, others moving faster but not being an instant-kill scenario, one hunting you down any time the AI has vision of you. The minigames add a bit of variety to what could otherwise become a stagnant playstyle, too, although they don't seem particularly well designed. The Gladiator minigame, for instance, has you use a Daemon Prince hero to fight off hordes of Skaven who are zeroing in on trying to destroy your castle. One of the skills you can choose is Thorns Aura, which does absolutely nothing since the Skaven don't ever attack you. When you lose (and this is a very strong possibility), a message is sent to everybody informing them that you do not know how to play Warcraft. Generally, it's not a good idea to insult players after they inevitably fail a mini-game that isn't that well designed to begin with, but also has quite a high level of difficulty and, not to mention, doesn't have that much to do with Warcraft's playstyle at all.

The map's alright, it's nothing too inspired but it's serviceable enough. There's the occasional typo ("Accquired" instead of "Acquired", for example), but those sorts of things are easily forgiven and easy enough to fix. For the above mentioned reasons, I will be rating this a Simple resource, and hopefully people have fun with it :)
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to review my map. I appreciate the feedback! First thing I fixed was making it so the CHEESE can stack up to 100 instead of 20. I also fixed the Acquired typo, and I removed the thorns aura replacing it with a defense aura. I am keeping the roast in the Gladiator minigame, since it's a joke not a serious critique :)! If you could elaborate on how the minigames are poorly designed and how I could fix them, that would be great! Just so you know the Skaven won't directly attack your castle if you bait them, know how to properly time your attacks, and know when to run. Thanks again!

Level 6
I enjoy the addition of minigames because it adds casual fun to the game with an added bonus. I think it makes the game more relaxed along with the music choice, and that's what matters to me. Some games are hardcore and others are more relaxed, and in my opinion, we don't have enough relaxed games to play. On the other hand, I don't like the Pacman textures very much, as they're very simplistic compared to the panther, rat, hunter, and ship textures. Also, at this time, barricades aren't very good for much other than attracting enemies. In time though, we'll see. I still think this can be a hard game though. We've wiped out more times than completing the game, and I've yet to see anyone complain about the difficulty. That's good. It's a bit unbalanced in skills, as windwalk seems like the best option compared to entangling roots, net, mirror image, stomp, etc. There's nothing better than unable to be hit by all than targeting one unit or having to manage two.

It's a good game in the works. I hope it gets more love by people.

Level 7
I enjoy the addition of minigames because it adds casual fun to the game with an added bonus. I think it makes the game more relaxed along with the music choice, and that's what matters to me. Some games are hardcore and others are more relaxed, and in my opinion, we don't have enough relaxed games to play. On the other hand, I don't like the Pacman textures very much, as they're very simplistic compared to the panther, rat, hunter, and ship textures. Also, at this time, barricades aren't very good for much other than attracting enemies. In time though, we'll see. I still think this can be a hard game though. We've wiped out more times than completing the game, and I've yet to see anyone complain about the difficulty. That's good. It's a bit unbalanced in skills, as windwalk seems like the best option compared to entangling roots, net, mirror image, stomp, etc. There's nothing better than unable to be hit by all than targeting one unit or having to manage two.

It's a good game in the works. I hope it gets more love by people.
Thank you very very much! I appreciate the feedback a ton! I have slightly increased the cooldown on Windwalk to make it more balanced with the other powers! Im in the middle of a huge update to the game (hopefully the last one), where I add one new minigame, two new buildings, and a few smaller changes. I will be deleting this map submission and reuploading it as a new map so keep your eyes peeled for that. Should be out in a week (depends on how long it takes for my game to get approved).
Btw I agree the texture for the Pacmen sucks lol, there aren't many to choose from. Feel free to add me on Battlenet as a friend SneakyTurtle#1557344.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Re-review. I asked the author to stream it via Discord. Chatted with him during the tests and play through. The game itself is quite fun and offers a big variety of interesting mechanics and entertainment. The mini game in which you have to build nests should be improved a bit, as in hasting the building speed. Other than that, Ratmaze is approved with a 4/5 rating! Congrats!

Level 5
Hey!

I tried out your map with a couple of friends the other day and i quite like the idea of a chase map with different mini-games and a tiny bit of building. The map is quite simple in it's gameplay which i think works well for this type of map and i like that it is more about running than base building (i tried to built a base for a final stand but a couple of frogs found me and ruined my brilliant plan xD).

Some things are not that intuitive or require you to go to the quest log to find out which is fine but i had no idea the cheese factory existed before i died and got the time to read the quest log. Furthermore the camera could maybe pan to the skill selection building during the tutorial as i found out way to late that i could pick skills.

The mini games are a very fun addition to keep this type of map fun but again they are a bit unintuitive to find as i thought the different buildings were just doodads. But when i found out it was quite fun searching the map for mini-games while trying to stay alive.

All in all it is a very fun map but a bit rough around the edges. Looking forward to the next update!

Last edited: