• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ranger.blp

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
  • Haha
Reactions: deepstrasz
A Demon Ranger. My first seriuous skin. Tried to make proper shading and highlights. Hope you like it

Keywords:
Demon, Archer , Ranger
Contents

Ranger.blp (Texture)

Reviews
08:30, 23rd Jun 2010 Dentothor: Its ok for a first try, but you have to realize that you need much more detail in a skin for it to look good. You also need to add more depth to it to make it look more 3D rather than looking cartoony and flat. Thick...

M

08:30, 23rd Jun 2010
Dentothor: Its ok for a first try, but you have to realize that you need much more detail in a skin for it to look good. You also need to add more depth to it to make it look more 3D rather than looking cartoony and flat. Thick Black outlines can also make it look flat. Try to stay away from those.

You also need to add texture and design to skins to make them look more realistic and look like what they are supposed to be. (e.g. Skin looks like skin, metal looks like metal) because the only texture i can see in the skin is, blob. there is no special texture to it at all, and no one can tell what is skin and what is clothing or armour.

Try looking at a lot of tutorials that we have here on the site to help improve your skills and get much better at skinning. But good luck! and keep trying :)

Level 12
Remove the black lines between armor parts and her red skin, to make it less cartoonish.

Make your metal look like real metal with Mr Goblin's tutorial here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2d-art-tutorials-281/mr-goblins-tutorial-110127/

When adding shading/highlights, put a TON of it. From what you can see in the skins section, i don't think i ever saw a comment like "needs less shading/highlights", you see.
And remember that the light comes from above the model, to add it it the proper direction.

Also give her a demon bow for more style, and add small details like artistic patterns, logos, armor reinforcements, clothing gadgets or whatever, everywhere. So that it doesn't look so plain.

That was my opinion ^^

What tool do you use btw?