Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Race/Hero Ideas

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Whitewolf8, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We'll have to see if I can do something with them! Still not entirely sure yet, haha.

Since I'm a bit of a crazy idiot I'm working on 4 races at once-- at least the units that should appear in them. Right now they're only units themselves and stats and 'some' general role idea, no buildings or upgrades or even much in terms of spells. And for some reason the one I wanted to do next (Corrupted Night Elves) is the one with least stuff. welp. Need to get distracted by less stuff.
    [​IMG]
    If they're directly next to eachother they're an upgrade or transformation.

So, let's name 'em all shall we!

Kul'tiras~
    Cataphract, Gryphon Archer/Gryphon Ranger
    Cannoneers, Galleon, Dreadnaught
    Storm Sorceror, Ship's Doctor, Druid of the Branch, Kul'tiran Druid
    Admiralty Marine/Admiralty Royal Guard, Navy Sniper/Flibustier, Guardsman
    Sailor

Stormwind Humans (Warcraft 1/2 Humans)~
    Mage, Conjurer, Half-Elf Kelpie
    Cleric, Prior, Chevalier/Justiciar
    Armsman, Half-Elf Archer/Half-Elf Ranger, Bricole
    Bucolic

Dwarves~
    Mountaineer, Fusilier
    Miner

Corrupted Night Elves~
    Satyr Helot/Vile Soul

And for some spell/upgrade possibilities...
    Kul'tiras~
    Flibustier:
    Saber Slash upgrade - When attacked by a Melee enemy the Flibustier has a 33% chance to counter slash the enemy for 40% of the damage taken.

Cataphract:
    Heavy Armour upgrade - Increases defense by 3, reduces damage taken by 10 (Hardened Skin) and reduces damage taken from Piercing attacks by a further 25% (Elune's Grace) at the cost of reducing movement speed by 20.

Stormwind Humans~
    Quite a few spells are a bit boring right now, huh.

Armsman:
    Sunder Armour - Either chance on hit (Orb ability+Faerie Fire), or on attack (Orb of Corruption). Reduces armour of affected enemy unit by 2 for 10 seconds. (This hopefully keeps some incentive to have one or two of these guys around)

Magic (Adept/Master) upgrades also up damage a bit, but up HP a little less.

Justiciar Spells:
    Holy Strike - An autocast attack, adding 8 damage to attacks, costs 4 mana each attack.
    Healing Discharge - Discharges the life from an Unholy Being to heal allied units around it. Deals 100 damage to a target enemy while healing allied units around it in a range of 300 for 35 HP.
    Exorcism - Exorcises Unholy units in an area, dealing ... (Base off of Death Knight's Mortal Coil, no projectile though and Unholy units only.)

Prior Spells:
    Holy Vision - As the spirit of mankind is everywhere, so the Holy Vision of the Prior extends to all corners of the land. The area unveiled by this incantation grants the Prior knowledge of the terrain and of all those who may dwell there. When this spell dims, the Prior maintains knowledge of the lands she has seen, although she loses sight of the denizens in these lands.
    Holy Light - Heals for 150 or damages for half that, usual Holy Light.
    Redemption - Raises a non-hero fallen unit from the dead. (NEEDS 250 mana, but will use up all of it)

Cleric Spells:
    Healing - Heals units for...
    Slow - Does Slow things
    Invisibility - Does invisibility things. Lasts less time than the Sorceress one.

Mage Spells:
    Lightning - Basically Lightning Attack with an active Chain Lightning (Hits 2 extra, 100 damage, 30% damage decay)
    Polymorph - Does Polymorph things.
    Flame Shield - Does Lightning Shield things.
    Blizzard - (Basically the Chaos Orc Death Knight's Death and Decay.)

Conjurer Spells:
    Elemental Blast - Basically Frost Attack.
    Summon Scorpion - Summons a Scorpion to attack your enemies. Scorpion has 200 HP, deals 4-7 damage with a Poison attack.
    Summon Water Elemental - Summons a powerful Water Elemental. Water Elemental has 400 HP and deals 13-16 damage.

Half-Elf Kelpie Spells:
    The Immaterial - Something to do with being Ethereal, like Spirit Walkers or Faerie Dragons.
    Tidal Wave - Attacks have a chance to cause a tidal wave, causing something extra damage as well as water-logging the building, making them unable to do things for something seconds. (Base off of Farstrider's Holy Arrow)
    ????? - Basically Sundering Blades for +30% Fortified Armour damage so they utterly tear apart buildings.

2. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So, if anyone was curious enough about these new monstrosities, have a beta thing!

Attached Files:

3. Lon-ami

Lon-ami

Resources:
    Resources:
    Glad you liked it, I really like game design and I'm always thinking and writing ideas for all kind of stuff. And yeah, you found out the reason why it works so well :D.

Most people focus on "what they want" or "the cool stuff" instead of the bigger picture. Farms in particular are such an important element, maybe the most important unit of a race, since they define early gameplay as well as racial themes and feeling.

Speaking of farms, recently I thought about remaking the human and orc farms with far more elaborate mechanics:
    • Humans got a Windmill (2x2 size, using the doodad model), with an ability to freely place crops near itself (up to 4, 3x3 size, they had to make contact with the building). The mill itself was pretty sturdy, but the crops were kinda easy to destroy. If the windmill was destroyed, crops would be useless until a new mill was built near them. You could research an upgrade to give the fields fences and make them sturdier. Mill also had an ability to "overload" giving a temporary food boost in exchange of a loss in capacity later. Windmills replaced scout towers too, and were upgradeable to the various combat towers (losing their farm role).
    • Orcs got a Pig Farm (3x3, inspired by the already existing model), with an ability to freely spawn pigs. These pigs were actual units with critter behaviour, and you had to be careful and watch over them. Pigs provided a passive food buff, but could also be used as a consumable resource for either temporary food boosts or various ritual sacrifices. Burrows were a separate building, where you could safely store the pigs.
    Unfortunately, Warcraft III is far too simple regarding building gameplay, and these kind of mechanics wouldn't work that well, so I just moved along. For undead, I was planning on using corpses as both food and a consumable resource (spend them for temporary units, such as skeletons), and for night elves, something about wisps possessing trees and being able to turn into treants and then back into trees again, the ancients being able to eat trees for repairs, buffs, and special abilities.

Back to simple mechanics that fit W3's gameplay, aside from naga I'm pretty sure I had a pretty advanced silithid/aqir/qiraji take, but it's been so long lol. Here's some details I remember:
    • The town hall was a Forgotten One. You had no workers, and instead you used tentacles, which worked as buildings that could burrow to teleport around your base. For wood, the tentacles worked kinda like wisps. For gold, like acolytes (fixed spot, killable one by one) after claiming the mine (like night elves).
    • Farms were obelisks, used to spread your influence (stone obelisk with an eye and insect legs). Instead of using a worker unit to spawn buildings, this race used the farm and the town hall. Unlike forgotten ones, obelisks could move around (like night elf ancients).
    • Buildings weren't built in the open, being trained like units and upgrades instead. Once finished, they were stored, ready for quick deployment. The town hall could store up to 4, and farms up to 1. The other buildings were pretty standard, training units in the normal way.
    • Buildings were classified in two: fleshy and stone. Fleshy buildings (including the town hall) were able to burrow, disabling their abilities in exchange of a defensive buff. Stone buildings had nothing special going on.
    • The tower was similar to the obelisk, or maybe they were just a single building/unit, being able to be upgraded to tiers 2 and 3 later. Maybe obelisks were able to summon defensive tentacles as well. No idea.
    • As for the units, they were a mix of WoW creatures related to the Old Gods, specially Ahn'Qiraj stuff and elementals. I think the "train, save, then deploy" idea worked here too, and units didn't consume food until deployed, so you could have your replacement army ready for deployment even before the battle began. The drawback here is that buildings could be destroyed with all their trained stuff inside, so it's a kind of risk/reward situation.
    And I don't remember much more. Some of the details above are probably wrong, since I'm mixing different versions of it, but whatever, might serve as inspiration, so there it is. I think there was some transforming with the obelisks too (the blocks of stone changing shapes to become different buildings), but that clashes with the summoning aspect so no idea.

The overall theme was swapping unit and building roles (since the buildings are actual living creatures) and separating construction/training from deployment (you keep a stock of battle-ready units instead of training constantly).

I had more ideas for other TFT races but I don't remember them anymore.

4. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lots of those Silithid ideas sound rather awesome. ...i don't think i'm actually skilled enough to be able to do anything with it though.

5. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very good.

6. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is next race The Black Empire?

7. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yep! Next I'll be working on are Black Empire and Shadow Elves. Not sure when I'll be able to get back to it yet-- been working on other backlogs I have, maybe next month.

8. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very good.