1. The poll for our 11th Music Contest is up! Help us choose the most awesome cinematic tracks by casting a vote!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice

questioning the need for 'substandard' model status

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Misha, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I have always been for quality, and will probably continue to create quality stuff, i'm just against having a scratch-made model, with all required animations, just placed out of people's view just because its a little too simple.
    perhaps a simple rename of the section to 'useful' would be neater? along with a little different description of the status, that does not force an assumption that every model is flawed or not working..?

2. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To me it doesn't sound like a issue with the structure of the website at all, but just a issue with moderation..
    A example of a simple model like you explained that was Approved and not set to substandard: Simple Sword
    It even says "Simple" in the name, and that's how I found it.. Searched for simple in models section..

3. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    X'D that was before the bundle option was implemented :c, the knife, and the simple club, were meant as attachments for -Supa's goblin model :p

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, sadly, icons from other Blizzard games are approved and the effort on them is not even as much as those simple geomerges.
    What's not working should be in Awaiting Update or Rejected anyway, don't you agree?
    Sure... but most weapons are pretty much simple compared to whole body models (which also might include a weapon or more).

5. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can find models just like it that are substandard, here's a example: VileBlade
    Somehow this one isn't gonna be useful and there wasn't enough effort for it while the other one is.. I see why because of @stein123's reply, but can't all of these be used as attachments for the Goblin?

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well i have just a few things that i don't like about substandard section;

its name, the status description, the way it shows as something vague instead of another thumbs up, and the way it doesn't auto-appear while browsing resources

so.. here are my suggestions @Ralle

section name: 'Useful'
    description: 'This model might not be to hive's standards, but its working and useful.' (do expand it if it needs more)
    used icon: (for both user resource page and status) a lightly greener or more orange thumbs-up.
    browse and search: well.. i don't know how auto-including the useful section needs to work, but having a checkbox to untick to exclude the useful section would be cool.. Ouo

Is any of this possible?

7. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with Misha. The word 'substandard' may be misleading in some cases. The descriptions says: 'This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.'.
    But there is no way to distinguish a model that is too simple and a model that is half-broken. In my opinion, the term 'substandard' should apply to models that are not original enough, too simple, while bugged models should be labelled as 'Awaiting update'. In that case, it would be nice no have those substandard bundles displayed when browsing resources (with a checkbox to deactivate that feature, to give users the option - I know it's already possible, but one must use the advanced search page).
    That way, browsing resources would be easier and users wouldn't miss useful however low quality models, as long as the distinction is still clear.

8. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But useful overlaps with approved. And stuff can be substandard without being useable.

9. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is precisely the point. Useful and useless stuff may be found in substandard category, which is confusing. There should be a clear distinction between usable substandard resources and broken substandard resources, imho. :)

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    shouldn't broken stuff go back to the 'needs fix' section anyway?

11. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think a solution to the problem of borderline approvable resources and rewarding the artists for quality work would be by adding Featured tag and possibly spotlight for such creations.

Like mentioned previously by Chaosy, there are some gems in substandard section that are currently "hidden" from modders, which should instead be proudly presented by the website like all the rest since they are both creative and useful creations. Some scratch made models that are good quality but just too simple (ie. attachments) do deserve to be displayed since they can be useful for certain modders.

Also like deepstrasz mentioned blizzard icons from other games being approved while simple geomerges aren't, I think some of the simple geomerges even though can be whipped out quickly can be really useful and creative as can be seen in most Ujimasa Hojo's work, and I don't think it's a good idea to have them hidden in substandard since just by looking at the amount of downloads they have you can tell how useful they are as resources.
    Besides simple geomerges are the most fitting resources when you're looking to create a blizz-like map and trying to follow the exact style of the original game (which to me seems like a goal of a lot of modders) in this case seeking the most useful resources this website has to offer for their projects would somehow be in the substandard section..

I would add Featured tag and spotlight for featured models to reward the artists quality work and give them something to aim for better than just approval, featuring their works would be a nice way to give exposure to talented artists and their creations. This would also separate the top notch quality work and simple geomerges or simply made scratch models while having both approved as useful resources.

Here's a mockup of the idea I have in mind:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  12. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    hm.. now you make me conflicted.. I want a permanent change to the 'substandard' section and its properties, in a way that Ralle doesn't have to mess with the issue for too long.. but on the other side.. a return of featured models? maybe even director's cut?