• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Questionable thoughts about Game Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Now, I understand that map protection should not be discussed in the forums. But I raise another question here:
An RPG style map for Warcraft 3 can rarely go about without some kind of save/load trigger. To save the integrity of the game itself (not the map) and for the people that play this map, would it be un-ethical to attempt to "hide" the save/load triggers so that people could not blatantly abuse easy "experience" and such?

I have been thinking about this for a while, (I don't know if what I just said actually makes much sense, since I am trying to think of a good way to say it as I am typing it.) I have basically come to several ends, and just wanted to see what others thought about this:
  1. Leave them open in the map, in custom script or not. (depending on which method one used to make them, GUI or by hand)
    This obviously allows others to learn how to save and load, but then leaves the vulnerability of people cheating in the map (read later for some more of my own thoughts).
  2. Hide them possibly in another .j file or just slide functions inside other triggers that would run whenever the saving and loading was called.
Now, I have always been curious how various maps worked through my wc3 gaming-life (so to say) but everything was protectied. I understand why some people want to protect their maps, just simply that they are angry that others will and have stolen their work before, and that others might discredit the original creators. Of course this is more of a personal vendetta than anything else.
But I had to learn how to unprotect maps to learn from them, and after that, I had to learn JASS in order to understand what was going on in the maps. Basically map protection lead me to the future I am likely to have in my life (some programming anyways). So in that sense, map protection was a -good- thing for me :roll:

But in the end, one must decide whether to protect their map for various reasons.
In this "special" case I also ended up thinking that:
People should just not play with others who have cheated (if they can find them); so leaving the map unprotected will help others to learn, which is hopefully a good thing.

But we all know that the B.Net community is rarely this forgiving, and instead hate everyone for anything that they can, or cannot but do just because they want to anyways. So then it could potentially destroy an entire community who might be dedicated to the game currently (assuming a version is already out) because they do not want to worry about the hassel of determining if someone is a cheater or not.

What are most of your opinions on this?

Level 7
mh
one more possibility would be protecting the map and hosting the unprotected map with your specific saving encryption removed
If people are interested in learning they could dl your "open source" and cheating is prevented because you removed the "key"
In my opinion cheating players in rpg maps on bnet are worse then protected maps!
A cheating player may cause others to not play your map again

Status
Not open for further replies.