• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quest Exclamation + Question Mark & Variations

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is Blizzard's exclamation and question mark with variations:
------------World of Warcraft based-----------------------
Yellow = Unrepeatable quest
Blue = repeatable/Daily quest
Grey = unavailable quest
Green = undiscovered flight path
Orange = legendary quest/Class-only quest/war campaign
-----------------------------------------------------------
Faint Yellow = Low Unrepeatable Quest
Faint Blue = Low Repeatable Quest
----------Other--------------------------------------------
* Red = Emergency Task
* Team colored version

Update 1: added low level unrepeatable
Update 2: added low level repeatable
Update 3: Added a team colored version
Update 4: Added Red-only Exc Mark for emergency stuff
Update 5 and 6: fixed all exclamation marks and added question marks.
UPDATE 7:
1. Removed invalid global sequence from all exclamation models.
2. All models have portrait camera now.
Contents

Completed Quest Low (Model)

Emergency Task/Danger Exclamation Mark (Model)

Flight Path New (Model)

Legendary Quest/Class-only quest (Model)

Low Repeatbale Quest (Model)

Low Unrepeatbale Quest (Model)

Quest Completed Daily (Model)

Quest Completed Daily Low (Model)

Quest Completed Emergency (Model)

Quest Completed Regular (Model)

Quest Completed Special (Model)

Quest Completed Team-Color (Model)

Quest Exclamation Mark Team Colored (Model)

Quest Not Completed (Model)

Repeatable/Daily Quest (Model)

Unavailable Quest (Model)

Unrepeatable Quest (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Useful edits of the regular model. Nothign too fancy, but some people might need it.
Level 7
- The team colored exclamation mark is causing a crash when created for me. I'm using Classic Graphics.

- It seems like the exclamation mark animations are a lot slower than the question marks. I think the question mark idle animations are great, and would love it if the exclamation marks get the same ones! I think they flow a bit nicer bobbing up and down & grab your attention better than the slow movement does.

- I think the exclamation mark death animation having some fadeout similar to the vanilla TalkToMe.mdx would also look nicer. Right now they grow very big & then suddenly disappear, compared to growing big while fading out.

- The coloration of some of the models is very monochrome and bright:
1709939128127.png

I noticed the vanilla TalkToMe.mdx uses a different color for the outer layer instead of the same one (yellow inner, orange outer), maybe that might distinguish the inner core from the outer core better and give it some more texture? Although WoW seems to have done away with two layers for some of their quest marker models, they do always have some gradient or texture:
1709937421377.png
1709937632999.png

Might have to do with them not responding to lighting:
1709938849654.png

- The normal completed quest model switches between its two different idle animations at random, causing it to jump around. Might also happen with other question marks, haven't tried. (ignore the random pausing, first timer screen capturer)
1709937158333.gif

- 50KB per question mark is quite big for such a simple model. Could probably be reduced down from 600 vertices, compared to the exclamation marks that only have 80 and are 8 KB each.

- The blue and green ones are transparent:
1709939256982.png
1709939389340.png

- Some of them don't seem to be occluded by terrain or other objects:
1709939433361.png
1709939465176.png

Attachments

• 1709936577316.png
    1709936577316.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
- The team colored exclamation mark is causing a crash when created for me. I'm using Classic Graphics.

- It seems like the exclamation mark animations are a lot slower than the question marks. I think the question mark idle animations are great, and would love it if the exclamation marks get the same ones! I think they flow a bit nicer bobbing up and down & grab your attention better than the slow movement does.

- I think the exclamation mark death animation having some fadeout similar to the vanilla TalkToMe.mdx would also look nicer. Right now they grow very big & then suddenly disappear, compared to growing big while fading out.

- The coloration of some of the models is very monochrome and bright:
View attachment 464856

I noticed the vanilla TalkToMe.mdx uses a different color for the outer layer instead of the same one (yellow inner, orange outer), maybe that might distinguish the inner core from the outer core better and give it some more texture? Although WoW seems to have done away with two layers for some of their quest marker models, they do always have some gradient or texture:
View attachment 464853View attachment 464854

Might have to do with them not responding to lighting:
View attachment 464855

- The normal completed quest model switches between its two different idle animations at random, causing it to jump around. Might also happen with other question marks, haven't tried. (ignore the random pausing, first timer screen capturer)
View attachment 464852

- 50KB per question mark is quite big for such a simple model. Could probably be reduced down from 600 vertices, compared to the exclamation marks that only have 80 and are 8 KB each.

- The blue and green ones are transparent:
View attachment 464857View attachment 464858

- Some of them don't seem to be occluded by terrain or other objects:
View attachment 464859View attachment 464860
good observations