1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Psychology

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rex., Mar 14, 2015.

1. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    my friends sister is studying physiology. she has to learn a lot about the Bain and which part does what, why and can it be removed.

I've only helped her study once, so I inlet know that much.

what else is important to know besides human studies

2. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I got a message from someone asking about depression. Obviously the person will go unnamed, but the question they asked was an extremely good one that is worth repeating here:

Hi Anon,

Firstly I don't know if you're suffering from depression or not, but if you are then it's important that you realise that there is a lot of help out there for you. Help that will be a million times better than anything I can give you, too, and it's equally important that you know this. The kind of psychology I do is not related, whatsoever, to mental health. If you are feeling low, sad or any other way negatively impacted, you can and should seek help from a qualified professional.

With that said, I can offer you this: depression can be reactionary, this is to say that something might happen in your life that causes you to feel that way. It is a perfectly normal reaction, too, not at all something you should be ashamed about. In some people, depression can arise without a real reason or cause, and is linked to chemical imbalances occurring in the brain. We're not really quite sure which chemicals are key in regulating clinical wellbeing, but one often cited is serotonin.

I also feel the need to say this: there are a few people that will try to tell you depression isn't real, and this simply isn't true. It is a real illness, with real effects, and absolutely isn't a sign that you are weak or a failure. In fact, many famous leaders have suffered with depression like Gandhi, Lincoln and Churchill. Einstein suffered long periods of depression, and it has also affected many in the arts. Depression occurs in people of any age, and is actually quite a common mental health issue. About 15% of people will have a bout of depression during their lives that is severe enough to warrant a clinical intervention. I would argue this number is actually much higher, but unfortunately confounded because many people that suffer from the illness don't get help or aren't formally diagnosed.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that we honestly aren't certain what causes depression, but what we are certain about is that it can be normal and, in some cases, a healthy response to factors in our lives. Sometimes this isn't the case, or sometimes we become overwhelmed by the factors, and if this is what's worrying you then there is help available, you aren't alone and there is always someone willing to listen.

I hope you're well.

3. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    is it possible to meet your future self or am I nuts for meeting him? he told me to basically give up on my dreams.

"you must sometimes evaluate what you can and can not do, otherwise you might hurt yourself"

I believe those were his words. I just came back from a drive where I met him. to be honest, he didn't look much older then I am now.

ergh....

the more I try and remember what happened today, the more the memory fades and contradicts.

hmm...

4. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hope you're joking.

But yes, you should always evaluate what you can and cannot do, and what the consequences of success or failure will be. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try what you don't think you can achieve, but simply that you should weigh your chance of success and compare it to your risks and rewards to decide if it's worth trying. For example, if the task is jumping fifteen feet from one cliff to the next, with the reward for success being a piece of paper, the reward for failure being death, and your usual jump distance being eight feet, then it'd probably be a good idea to train yourself until you can reliably jump fifteen feet before trying, if you really want that piece of paper.

5. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    how does one prove they are male or female over the net? without pictures or any private information of cause

I'm talking about how psychologically can you prove it?

perhaps telling something only that sex would know.... but that requires the other sex being your sex.

what would you say for both sexes

I know as a male what I could say... but you guys first.

6. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    What kind of work are you currently doing?
    What kind of work are you hoping to do?

I'm fascinated by the human mind and why we do what we do. I've always looked at philosophy and our motivations, but I am always curious to hear more about the bio end of our brains.

7. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    One of the things I actually like about the 'net is that you can't really tell that kinda thing.

8. hiphop4eva

hiphop4eva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okaay, I took a 16 personality test and I'm INFP-T.

9. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry Gilles, I totally didn't see this post.

My PhD centres around the ways attention and vision impact upon our embodied experience of the environment, and to examine this I look into words, numbers and object affordances. This is to say that there is an attentional mediation between our cognitions (thoughts). So far, my research has discovered a role for fast, automatic, bottom-up processes which spread across your brain and activate related concepts, and also a role for slower processes which seem to bottleneck our thoughts. I would be happy to talk about any part of this further, if you are interested.

I would almost go as far to argue that the "bio end of our brains", or at least the study thereof, could fundamentally not exist were it not for the philosophical - but that's another conversation entirely.

I hope to continue in this stream of research for a while, at least for the next three years, and I have strong interests in VR too, amongst many other things. Cogsci is like the bastard child of psychology, linguistics, compsci and neuroscience.

10. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you mean by that? Our thoughts are mediated by where our attention is?

ELI5? :p

I understand this to be that our brains are constantly processing the information it receives, and linking it to anything that relates to that information; while a slower process is bottlenecking our thoughts in order to analyse the related information and provide them to our conciseness without overloading it.

11. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry about the delay in replying! Things are extremely hectic here, having just moved house, working my PhD, and trying to fit in deliveries of furniture, white goods, and everything else in between. I still don't have internet at home (which is where I am now) so I'm writing this on my PC in emacs before transferring it onto my mobile and finally committing the post. WEOW. So without further ado:

Traditionally we would think of our brains acting like a computer, taking a number of inputs, processing them and then outputting in the form of a behaviour. This we know as the perception --> representation --> action loop. Fodor, and other lackies from the Fodorian era, maintain that representations are divorced from the perceptions and actions they represent. So instead of encoding a perceptual trace of a glass or the motor experience of drinking from it, our minds would encode a string of symbols totally removed from the context at hand.

My research, and others from the embodiment crowd, show this not to be the case. Representation cannot be totally removed from the sensorimotor information it maintains, as without context our words and actions are meaningless. Take the word bat. Am I referring to a flying mammal or the action of striking and hitting something? It is only when I give you a context that you actually come to know: "do you think a bat could bat a mosquito while flying".

If we take this from a conceptual level to a neuroanatomical level, the argument becomes that we should see similar patterns of activation in the brain when we talk about concepts as when we experience them. Another good example: a hunter that has a nasty experience with a bear should show similar patterns of activation when subsequently talking about or thinking about the bear. This happens, and is more commonly known as PTSD. Research by Niedenthal (2007) demonstrates this especially nicely, and classically Pullvermüller (2003 I believe) shows a similar trend in the data, too.

I gave a Pecha Kucha presentation on this not so long ago, I will try to cast it and upload the slides when I have interwebs again. I also maintain a few websites which could elucidate further, and am happy to PM them your way.

I hope this makes a little more sense!

12. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    It certainly does, and it's really interesting stuff. Feel free to PM me.

While not exactly the same, I had been studying Wittgenstein. While I really enjoyed it, I have found it difficult to continue to read him without both the aid and demands of a professor.