1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Proposal for More Responsible Staff Members

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ~Void~, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    ITT: kids getting trolled and anarchianbedlam trolling

OT: Yes. Video interview is a nice idea.

2. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds like you had your way of dealing with such. When I was Staff Member with the ability to ban people and moderate even outside my section (higher than moderator and close to admin as a rank), I think I made the place better. I was in charge for the entire War3 section of Battleforums that had also CS, SCBW, D2 and now SC2 places (now the place is a graveyard with spambots and empty - the future of THW seen there?) - the forum supported Hacks but when I took the position - I DELETED the Hacks section of War3, I organized tournaments where we gather to play together, I dealt with bad members by warning them then Temp Ban, if they continued - perma ban. Now most of the problems I had were spammers and some who wanted hacks - I IP banned such directly, almost never had to deal with behavior.

The ideas about dealing with behavior came as a result of my little stay at TeamLiquid:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    FORMULA
    You know how good that works? People don't dare if they care to use the forums. So the formula of warnings and bans remains the same, the question is when to give warnings? Well, in cases such as:

- Offending a member or trolling - you get 1 warning
    - Threads such as 'Your MAMA SO FAT jokes', 'Dolan thread' 'Spam thread' 'Silly word games thread' 'Silly MEME thread', 'Troll science' thread, Completely Pointless thread, - LOCKED - you get a warning for not thinking twice before making so stupid threads
    - any other rules such as stealing models, not giving credit, spamming and such dealt with a warning or temp ban as you decide

Allowed: Favorite Song/Movie, Anime thread, Pony thread, a single TV show thread - why not?

Now it sounds like as if you're in military right? It's called learning discipline. Fun? It's a myth, not in this retarded way at least.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Just my defnition of making a place better, anywhere

3. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Guys, let me tell you the most important thing about arguing: aggression and anger will do little to help you. The second most important thing is that people will try to defend their stances even if they realize they're wrong. We're all pretty weak. If you truly want to understand each other while sharing stances, you need to talk without pride and arrogance. Any arrogant/prideful/aggressive poster after this will be punished, consider this a kind and a well-meaning warning.

4. Crayons

Crayons

Resources:
    Resources:
    maybe we should let the staff choose who they want and how they want him/her.

we keep giving opinions that the staff wouldn't even heed most of the time.

5. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    That used to be one of my roles (Among other things)

Keeping the fear of a higher power in people keeps them in line, even if they are moderators

6. Verhalthur

Verhalthur

Resources:
    Tools:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I would recommend posting this video a lot more to encourage people to calm down, regardless of moderator status or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfwwHa-7Ux8

As this site is a sort of government, too, it seems like most of the recommendations here are like a single person supreme court. I dunno about that idea. A multiple person supreme court just sounds like a more balanced idea all around.

7. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't give a shit who you are or what you've done, or even how sound your points may have been; you made a post in my thread that is not relevant to the topic at hand. I understand that I'm coming off harshly here, but nothing else works.

8. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    He's already been banned for this, there is no need to beat the dead horse.

~Asomath

9. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't want any dead horses in my thread.
    :ogre_icwydt:

10. FockeWulf

FockeWulf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem we had in the DotA league (again an extreme case) was that there were simply too many troublemakers in a single day for moderators to want to bother with posting logs of their bans etc.

Also didn't help that the banned person would simply log onto ventrilo and the leader of the whole project would unban them if they whined a little bit about it without even bothering to consult the moderator.

11. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In such a large community a much better way to handle it rather than banning people is to restrict posting in certain forums (perhaps based on levels of "seriousness") until a member has devoted some time and effort to the community (post count, time active, etc), thus making it much more difficult to spam and troll on throw-away accounts.

12. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes, I know this may be beside the point, but I had a thought. Perhaps when this period of zero tolerance is done with, TDW could be this "Mod Moderator" that Asomath mentioned.

If I'm right, and he performs well in this position, I doubt we'll have any problems with staff members actively trolling and harassing regular members. We won't have anymore Mini-Me's or Bedlams.

13. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A bit offtopic:
    Isn't TDW the reason most of this drama happened in the first place tho?

ontopic:
    If that sort of thing (moderator of moderators) was going to be put into use, i would rather see a person who was actually here for a decent amount of time in that position. I know this come of a bit of a biased opinion and people are going maybe to jump on all that "we need a change" crap, but change doesn't mean a good thing every single time.

The reasoning behind such a statement would be:
    - A person who has been here longer has a bigger chance of talking/socializing with the community.
    - The members have a bigger chance of knowing who actually the person they are talking is like, what are his opinions on certain matters.
    - Longer stay would yield in a kind of experience. Knowing how others handled certain situations in the proper way and knowing how to avoid certain statements that could be interpreted wrongly.
    - A proper sense of boundaries and rules. Due to the length of one's stay he should get to know the rules and boundaries of behaviour through his mistakes and mistakes of others. And while some might argue this, i do think this does play a factor in the moderator fairly giving out punishment/rewards.

Those are my opinions, yes having a new person in charge/staff opens up the perspective and makes him unbiased (god I hope so) but doesn't guarantee it.
    To me the pros of a familiar face are bigger than the cons when it comes to having a familiar face on the staff.

You are free to debate this, but it is my opinion, you don't have to accept it or debate it but being a public forum i am free to express it (it doesn't violate any rules, i assure you).

A bit offtopic again:
    For someone who literally just came into that place of power so quickly, i find it unsettling a lot of people blindly trust TDW. Curiosity and caution should be a natural reaction on that event.

Sorry for derailing the topic a bit, i will try to keep more ontopic.

14. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Kingz

Absolutely. We do need change, but change doesn't mean bringing in somebody completely new who doesn't know the lay of the land and letting them run the show. I've heard of many companies in the real world going to shit when venture capitalists appoint a new CEO who isn't on the same wavelength. We need veteran members with up-to-date approaches.

15. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A lot of them have conveniently disappeared or left.

16. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, we only need a couple though. S'all good.

17. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @~Void~, Kingz

If I understand correctly, you are looking for someone who has been here a long time but hasn’t become jaded. Someone who has good social skills and possesses self-confidence while still knowing humility. Someone who is polite, attentive, and respectful (equally) while still being able to take a firm hand and run the show.

That’s no small order guys. Even in a site that has thousands of members, the possibility of actually finding someone like that is really slim. As Kingz has said, quite a few people and many of the people who even remember WC3Sear have left.

However, Mecheon's advice on the matter might be appreciated, because as he stated, he is probably the closest person to hold that position. The "Rule Enforcer" as it was.

@Vermillion,

TDW's first and primary function as a moderator has been completed at put to rest. The role that we seek is not his to fulfill. He was brought in to make radical changes that would cause quite a bit of negativity, and then take the brunt of the ill-will. His promotion to Administrator from "Community Moderator" is not an act of increasing his power of this site (as he likely possessed much of that power already) but rather, a distancing of himself from the Hive's community, and with him, a lot of the recent events. He is being removed from the stages spotlight so-to-speak.

Which is precisely why reform the site should be pushed for now.

~Asomath

18. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The internet is serious business lol. That's all I could think of when reading this.

19. Asomath

Asomath

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Haha, sorry if I came off too analytical. There's a lot of mixed feelings towards TDW, and I was simply trying to explain why he is not a suitable candidate for what we are looking for in the most objective way possible.

~Asomath

20. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think TDW is an unsuitable candidate for Admin due to the heightened expression of the Nietzschean will to power in his modus operandum as an authoritative figure.

To quote Machiavelli: "above all things, a prince ought to live amongst his people in such a way that no unexpected circumstances, whether of good or evil, shall make him change; because if the necessity for this comes in troubled times, you are too late for harsh measures; and mild ones will not help you, for they will be considered as forced from you, and no one will be under any obligation to you for them."

:ogre_hurrhurr:

In all seriousness, however, you should pay attention to that quote. It's a good one.