• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Producer Update: 24 Team Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ever said to keep white and black, and having a colour pallete is not thinking twice. First of all, implementing black colour is just being reckless because it will be confused with black masked terrain on mini map and with the colour brown. Secondly, the white colour will be a shiny one that will highlight in the minimap, but in some units and buildings it will look like they have no colour at all (imagine footmen or barracks), so it is out of question. Same as pallete since if people choose the same colour with slightly different chromatic or achromatic colour it will be confusing to distinguish for every player. So as several people have suggested earlier, have the 12 original colours with 12 new ones, but these news ones must be taken carefully and taken account for the reasons I've stated. And colourblind people should have some options, but general options, not subjective ones.

Black was already in the game, but used by Neutral, Hostile units. White was in Warcraft 2, along with black. I see no reason why shouldn't have these colors. As someone suggested we could have colored minimap display, each player would have his own color rather than white. Secondly, players can toggle player colors; there's a button near the minimap to do this. It was made specifically to help people distinguish teams - enemies - red, allies - blue.

Level 7
Neither Black nor White should be a default color. If it's possible to have them as a modding only color (black already is, kinda), by any means, but for any realistic gameplay they're just both super disruptive for the reasons said.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Black was already in the game, but used by Neutral, Hostile units.
One more reason for not putting black in a player...just reinforcing what i've said.
White was in Warcraft 2, along with black. I see no reason why shouldn't have these colors.
Maybe because Warcraft 3 isn't Warcraft 2? Oh man you didn't see this one coming, along with what I've stated before that white colour not only will be very highlighted on mini map with colour mode 1 and be confusing if another player is white (and you are obviously white because colour mode 1 works like that) but also several units will look like they have no colour tag at all...
As someone suggested we could have colored minimap display, each player would have his own color rather than white. Secondly, players can toggle player colors; there's a button near the minimap to do this. It was made specifically to help people distinguish teams - enemies - red, allies - blue.
No, just let it be like it always was, yes players can toggle player colours but I was playing about in colour mode 1. What I really don't like is that when some developers tries to "fix" things that don't need to be fixed, these new colours should be implemented with care.

One more reason for not putting black in a player...just reinforcing what i've said.

Maybe because Warcraft 3 isn't Warcraft 2? Oh man you didn't see this one coming, along with what I've stated before that white colour not only will be very highlighted on mini map with colour mode 1 and be confusing if another player is white (and you are obviously white because colour mode 1 works like that) but also several units will look like they have no colour tag at all...

No, just let it be like it always was, yes players can toggle player colours but I was playing about in colour mode 1. What I really don't like is that when some developers tries to "fix" things that don't need to be fixed, these new colours should be implemented with care.

Just agree to disagree.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Read it carefully: player colours might change for when you play to your actual colour on the minimap. Example: you choose red but on the minimap instead of seeing your stuff white, you'll see them red.
What I really don't like is that when some developers tries to "fix" things that don't need to be fixed, these new colours should be implemented with care.
Actually, some colours really need a tweak for the minimap as stated here. For example dark green is almost invisible on some grass tiles.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
As you can see, one issue concerning differentiating units on the map is with the Wisps but I don't think they can do much about it as it's something related to the model:
NewColours01.jpg

I love you for adding the classic Warcraft II ones and Brood War green!

EDIT:
As you can see there is some strangeness regarding the red hue glows. I'm particularly referring to brown's that really looks red for some reason and as opposed to how the blues look from each other, the two red hero glow types are too similar.
HeroGlowColours.jpg

Last edited:
Level 7
As you can see, one issue concerning differentiating units on the map is with the Wisps but I don't think they can do much about it as it's something related to the model:

I love you for adding the classic Warcraft II ones and Brood War green!

EDIT:
As you can see there is some strangeness regarding the red hue glows. I'm particularly referring to brown's that really looks red for some reason and as opposed to how the blues look from each other, the two red hero glow types are too similar.

If I'm not mistaken, each team's color has two textures inside the mpq file. Replaceable ID1 for the flat color and Replaceable ID2 for the glow. Those issues come from the ID2 texture as the whisp team color is just a glow. They could make the glows textures slightly different/darker in order to make them stand out more if needed. As for the brown color, it's just a bug. They replaced the old brown glow with the new dark red one by mistake.

whisp color.jpg

Level 14
That may sound lil nitpicky, but i cannot really let the matter of Brown's glow rest till it's fixed to how it was xD Sorry if i may get too repetitive but it still not like it was, it's too orange....here is direct coparison between old and new glow agaisnt darker tiles and when game is paused:
unknown.png

unknown.png

As you can see there is clear difference, new one is.....literally orange now, old one is uniform with the team colour. I know that it's texture may look dim in editors and stuff but it works properly ingame. I dont mean to mock or anger anyone with this little nitpicky 'bug' report but it's just for the better if it gets restored to original team glow texture xD
I attach orignal glow pre 1.29 PTR glow texture so everyone can compare in case you dont have several back ups like i do :v

Attachments

• TeamGlow11old.blp
    2.8 KB · Views: 66
Level 11
Having been confused several times already, can we please get something other than white for player 22? Alternatively change the minimap to display your own units clearly using something other than color.

Level 14
They should show us as our own color on the minimap.
I mean, if you are blue, you are blue, not white on it.
it's more important to still have specific player colour on the minimap no matter what. We have tousands of people used to original setup with white colour always indicating your units. If you are confused in competitive setup use alternative colours....it's meant for this very purpose, teal for allies and red for enemies on minimap only or both that and ingame units in these. That's what these are for....
This^ and while we're at it, make the click effect not be green but the player's colour.
Unit selection ring? Why? It's fine being as it is....green for own, yellow for neutral/allied and red for hostile.... why would you change that?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
There's a reason we have three different settings for coloring in minimap and game :v
One of them is to see white properly :v
t's more important to still have specific player colour on the minimap no matter what. We have tousands of people used to original setup with white colour always indicating your units. If you are confused in competitive setup use alternative colours....it's meant for this very purpose, teal for allies and red for enemies on minimap only or both that and ingame units in these. That's what these are for....
Yeah, but that ruins the fact that you don't know what's on the map (how many enemies/players, what factions) unless you take a look.
Unit selection ring? Why? It's fine being as it is....green for own, yellow for neutral/allied and red for hostile.... why would you change that?
No, I meant when you click move on the ground, there's some arrows pointing on the place you click. But that's just fantasy. It's obviously not necessary.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Having been confused several times already, can we please get something other than white for player 22? Alternatively change the minimap to display your own units clearly using something other than color.
Yes I agree, get rid of white colour, the worst colour ever possible to be added...But certainly shouldn't change the minimap to display our own units with our own colour.
They should show us as our own color on the minimap.
I mean, if you are blue, you are blue, not white on it.
No they shouldn't, because:
1. it's been white since wc3 was created and everyone is used to it
2. you can see your own colour when you chat or check your units in screen
3. white is the brightest colour so we can really distinguish ourselves from others in any colour mode
Said it once, saying it again:
White is a great player color ,but the minimap should use the lemon green color for the player that is also used in StarCraft II
And I say it for the 100th time, no for the stated reasons. So now all people that have been playing this game for a long time have to get used to a lemon green colour for the player? There are colour modes to match your preference. Warcraft 3 is NOT Starcraft II, I mean, if you don't like how Warcraft's options works/are, then don't play it, just don't try to make the game look like another and so everyone has to adapt to something that never needed to be fixed. The white colour should just be gone for good.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
And I say it for the 100th time, no for the stated reasons. So now all people that have been playing this game for a long time have to get used to a lemon green colour for the player? There are colour modes to match your preference. Warcraft 3 is NOT Starcraft II, I mean, if you don't like how Warcraft's options works/are, then don't play it, just don't try to make the game look like another and so everyone has to adapt to something that never needed to be fixed. The white colour should just be gone for good.
Yeah, a single color will turn WarCraft III into StarCraft II and totally ruin it...

Level 11
White is awesome. We should all rejoice that the game is evolving this much after all these years, don't be so conservative guys :) Things should not be left the way they are though. Like it was said before, something should be done to avoid confusion. The best way would be to allow several different options, so players can choose whatever they prefer.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
I don't know how this is difficult to understand, but no one will adapt something that breaks the logic of colour mode because it was created like that, worked well, and has stayed like that until now, for no reason it gets changed and shouldn't, because it's the NEW elements which should be changed or fixed. (white player colour removed! Replace with another...:mad: )
Else following your statement "you adapt it", would you adapt a new order of colours and numbers like brown (1), grey (2), orange (3), yellow (4), green (5), teal (6), lightblue (7), darkgreen (8), blue (9), purple (10), pink (11), red (12)??? Of course not, now you would have to be going through memorizing the matching of colours with numbers for no reason...

We should all rejoice that the game is evolving this much after all these years, don't be so conservative guys :)
Well I think everyone is excited in seeing that the game is being upgraded and has some major fixes. That doesn't mean they should change the fundamentals of the game who were actually fine, but change it because the they are dependent on "new elements", should be the reverse.
And i don't call a game "evolving this much" when the 1.27 patch basically screwed up a lot of people with the migration folder, lost a lot of friends probably because they thought wc3 died, I guess the player database also fell.
Things should not be left the way they are though. Like it was said before, something should be done to avoid confusion. The best way would be to allow several different options, so players can choose whatever they prefer.
Yes they should stay the way they are if they have logic, years of consistence and players used to it. Currently it has not that much consistence and I can't play focused if everytime a patch comes something that was fine is just changed drastically 10 times (didn't happen yet). We already 3 options for colour mode, thats enough...
I just hope they ponder their decisions and think that all our comments here reflect all people who play wc3. 1 thing i'm sure: I've seen quite a lot of people upset with that white colour...:D haha

Level 11
I don't know how this is difficult to understand, but no one will adapt something that breaks the logic of colour mode because it was created like that, worked well, and has stayed like that until now, for no reason it gets changed and shouldn't, because it's the NEW elements which should be changed or fixed.
It is not for no reason. We get a fantastic white colour, which many of us love. Especially old Warcraft 2 fans, I guess :) If find it a good reason.
Just because it was created like that does not mean it has to stay this way at all costs.

Well I think everyone is excited in seeing that the game is being upgraded and has some major fixes. That doesn't mean they should change the fundamentals of the game who were actually fine, but change it because the they are dependent on "new elements", should be the reverse.
As important as they can be, I wouldn't call the minimap colours fundamentals.
First time I played this game, I adapted to the stuff I wasn't used to (and still do). I guess we can do it too for this slight change. Like, when I was a Warcraft 2 player, I was used to have my units in lime green in the minimap. When I switched to Warcraft 3, it was white. There is no big deal. I would be happy if lime green replaced white in Warcraft 3, for instance.
If Blizzard offers options to display the minimap colours differently, I'm sure everyone will get used to the new changes after a few games.

It would be a great loss if white was removed. Please don't demand white to be taken away from us just because you don't want to spend a couple of days to get used to the minimap colour options :/

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Else following your statement "you adapt it", would you adapt a new order of colours and numbers like brown (1), grey (2), orange (3), yellow (4), green (5), teal (6), lightblue (7), darkgreen (8), blue (9), purple (10), pink (11), red (12)??? Of course not, now you would have to be going through memorizing the matching of colours with numbers for no reason..
That's totally different. I'm sorry. That's not an argument at all.
First time I played this game, I adapted to the stuff I wasn't used to (and still do). I guess we can do it too for this slight change. Like, when I was a Warcraft 2 player, I was used to have my units in lime green in the minimap. When I switched to Warcraft 3, it was white. There is no big deal. I would be happy if lime green replaced white in Warcraft 3, for instance.
Exactly, plus now all can be much better with everyone having their own colour on the minimap.
It would be a great loss if white was removed.
Definitely. Keep it. Don't make Warcraft II fans angry :p
Please don't demand white to be taken away from us just because you don't want to spend a couple of days to get used to the minimap colour options :
Days, it's too much said. A few matches, maybe even two, maybe one :D?

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
It is not for no reason. We get a fantastic white colour, which many of us love. Especially old Warcraft 2 fans, I guess :) If find it a good reason.
Sorry but just because Warcraft 2 has those elements doesn't mean Warcraft 3 now should have stuff like W2, since they are different games. And...why not W2 have the colour system like W3 instead?

Just because it was created like that does not mean it has to stay this way at all costs.
It should stay because it was implemented before these new changes, new changes shouldn't force the other stuff (that were fine) to get modified too, if they do, that's just blindness... the new changes should be dependent on the stuff the game already had.
If Blizzard offers options to display the minimap colours differently, I'm sure everyone will get used to the new changes after a few games.
Hence the options they have for minimap colours, I don't understand why you say "if they offer options" when they just actually do.
It would be a great loss if white was removed. Please don't demand white to be taken away from us just because you don't want to spend a couple of days to get used to the minimap colour options :/
Sounds like that was directed to yourself...you're the one who doesn't want to get used how it normally is...
But even so I don't even speak for myself, I speak for everyone who complained about this in the Warcraft chat and games, not 1, not 2, not 10, not 20... rather a lot
Exactly, plus now all can be much better with everyone having their own colour on the minimap.
Why do you even need to know your own colour? Either you chat, check your screen with your units or check their portrait.
Definitely. Keep it. Don't make Warcraft II fans angry :p
Except that Warcraft II has a different layout than Warcraft III, thats what distinguish one game from the other:cool:

Or....simply make that a toggle option in Game settings.....(Classic - white)-(Same as player's)-(lime green cuz wc2/sc2)....problem solved?
This seems like a good solution indeed, yet weird for having such an option from other games.

Level 11
Sorry but just because Warcraft 2 has those elements doesn't mean Warcraft 3 now should have stuff like W2, since they are different games. And...why not W2 have the colour system like W3 instead?
There is a slight connection between Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 though: they share the same universe... So, adding white doesn't come out of the blue (er, sorry about that one).
About minimap colours, it doesn't have to be like Warcraft 2. Warcraft 2 was mentioned because this game has a system that works fine and that could be implemented to Warcraft 3, as an option to solve our colours problem.

It should stay because it was implemented before these new changes, new changes shouldn't force the other stuff (that were fine) to get modified too, if they do, that's just blindness... the new changes should be dependent on the stuff the game already had.
To be honest, I don't see why you are so impervious to changes. This change, at least. If, for example, Blizzard keeps white colour and use lime green for the minimap, what harm would that do to you? Apart from taking time to get used to that new colour for a couple of games, if you need to? White new colour is not just nice: it is an awesome addition to the game, especially for map makers, and not just Warcraft 2 aficionados. It brings a lot of new possibilities, and that's why we are quite a bunch of people who want to keep it.

Hence the options they have for minimap colours, I don't understand why you say "if they offer options" when they just actually do.
Some options already exist indeed, but some more could be implemented. It would give players choice, and that's always a good thing, imho.
Anyway, if there is already a solution to your problem, why are you mad at the white colour?

Sounds like that was directed to yourself...you're the one who doesn't want to get used how it normally is...
To be honest I don't care about what I'm used to and about how things normally are. I am happy about new changes, I am ready to change my habits-and seriously, it's not like we're asking to remove a major feature of the game like the hero system or the day/night cycle, it's just the minimap colours for crying out loud :p

But even so I don't even speak for myself, I speak for everyone who complained about this in the Warcraft chat and games, not 1, not 2, not 10, not 20... rather a lot
This is true that some people complain about that minimap colours issue. Some other people are happy with the white colour though.
But what we are proposing is to keep the white colour and solve the minimap issues, several propositions were made in that way. I don't see what would be wrong with that :p

Or....simply make that a toggle option in Game settings.....(Classic - white)-(Same as player's)-(lime green cuz wc2/sc2)....problem solved?
This seems like a good solution indeed, yet weird for having such an option from other games.
Well, it seems like we share the same opinion, actually! We were proposing nothing but to add a toggle option, to let players choose depending on their personal preferences and the type of game they're playing. And to keep the white colour of course :) Problem solved indeed!

Sorry, I'm not fond of those quote joustings, but it was the easier way to answer.

Last edited:
Is nobody here bothered by the RGB 0 new neutral hostile color? Because RGB 0 was commonly layered over team color with an alpha channel to create shadows/shading, the original Blizzard art team in 2002 only ever used very dark gray for Neutral players. Changing that now is damaging to the art quality of the game. The sense of shading and detailed area is lost on team color portions of creep models. Does nobody else see this issue? I'm away from home, but I may update this post with an example picture in a day or so, and how RGB 0 neutral black causes models to effectively have less visual quality.

Is nobody here bothered by the RGB 0 new neutral hostile color? Because RGB 0 was commonly layered over team color with an alpha channel to create shadows/shading, the original Blizzard art team in 2002 only ever used very dark gray for Neutral players. Changing that now is damaging to the art quality of the game. The sense of shading and detailed area is lost on team color portions of creep models. Does nobody else see this issue? I'm away from home, but I may update this post with an example picture in a day or so, and how RGB 0 neutral black causes models to effectively have less visual quality.

Yes. But I didn't notice it, neutral colors are now black? In general, team color should never be 100% black because the art style of Warcraft 3- particularly the shading should be distinguished. You should contact Kam about this, I think that black should definitely be changed, increased brightness.

Level 14
I agree, there are some semi transparent bits on the team coloured areas that are now just pitch black. Tho i think its done to make it differ from player's black i think. But it probably should be still dark gray for mode with all team colour displayed on minimap

Level 21
I completely agree; the new pitch-black TC looks awful. I understand why they changed it for neutral units, but they could've left the dark gray TC on doodads at least.
Look at the roof of the Watch Tower and the throne's banner.

tower1-png.302966

tower2-png.302967

throne1-png.302968

throne2-png.302969

Attachments

• Tower1.png
    Tower1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 670
  • Tower2.png
    Tower2.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 677
  • Throne1.png