• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Preskooldude / donut3.5

Which is the best RPG battle system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
...Due date's today, I need to put some... finishing touches... on before I submit it.

[Edit by Wolve]
Wolverabid said:
donut3.5 said:
Hey Wolve,
Preskool and I have been working hard on our systems, and are very close to finishing.
All we both have left is implementing AI and documentation. These are both small things, but wouldn't mind having an extra day to do them, as Preskool unexpectedly got bombarded with random tasks.
We understand your decision both ways, as we have already gotten many extensions.
Thanks for your time,
--donut3.5--
Let's make it three, just to be sure.
The challenge has begin and will conclude on

[EDIT] 30 October, 2007 23:59 PM, GMT

Oh, Praise Be! Thank you, Wolvy!

Last edited:
Level 8
As for mine, there's a huge bug in the AI which I am trying my best to fix -.-
(WHY ARE THE UNITS RUNNING BACK AND FORTH! STOP THATTT -.-)

EDIT: Alright, here we go.

CONTROLS:

A -"ASpell", which could be set to anything. For testing purposes, it does "War Stomp"
S -"SSpell", which could be set to anything. For testing purposes, it is set to "Cluster Missiles"
D&F- Same as A and S, but I ha ven't set anything for these two buttons

Z - Slash. Enables your character to attack once
C - X-Defend. Enables your character to be safe from magic.

Note about "SSpell". Cluster missiles has a casting time. To cast this spell, simply press the arrows as shown in the Command Card. After this, a gold circle will appear. Pressing
will enable you to switch between targets in the battlefield. Pressing [A] will accept this target and launch the spell.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• RPGSystemContest.w3x
    98.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Level 8
The RPG System works a lot better imo. It was quite fun to use. The combat system left me confused. I worked it out and it still didn't seem that good. I would offer constructive criticism but I don't know how to make it better (just shows that I couldn't make anything better)

Level 11
As i have no experience in these matters, i can't give much criticism.

Donut- When i retreated from battle, the comp still had the "In Combat buff" =P Also if i mashed the attack button(s) i could keep hitting him before he had a chance to attack me back.

preskewl- I was confused, the comps kept stun locking me from across the grid arena, though your system seemed good,if not better then donuts, it was obviously buggy and thus hard to test.

Cool systems guys! v.v

Level 27
So if I want to challenge someone, can I propose something smaller than a whole damn system?
You could propose a belching contest if you should so wish, however I doubt it would be approved due to it not being realted to WC3 in any way shape or form. But yes, you can do smaller things, like a simple model or terrain, etc.

Anyways, I wanted to add some instructions to mine since I forgot to:
Use Acquire target, or A to choose a target. Then assemble a queue using SEF for attacks, D for defend, or R to retreat. If you have retreated, then the opponent will not be able to hit you for a distance.
Known bugs:
Undo last action doesn't really work, I'm not sure why.
I forgot to make it so the AI would stop slashing at the air upon your retreat.

And a review on Pawekoo's:
I really liked the grid with the movement system, and the arrow key combination move for the rockets was a really cool idea. The AI was a little weird, and hard to defeat without spamming the Stomp button. Whenever I approched one they permastunned me and my slash didn't stun them :p It showed the buff but didn't prevent them from devouring me alive x.x
Good job!
--donut3.5--

Level 34
I agree with purplepoot. You need to speed the time between attacks more donut.

Preskool's system just crashed on me. I was playing around with the S spell and all of a sudden I heard fighting and then I died. The footman never moved around.

Level 32
The voters have spoken!

donut3.5 - combatsystem.w3x 7 58.33%
Preskooldude - RPGSystemContest.w3x 5 41.67%
  • donut3.5 is awarded 20 reputation points.

• Preskooldude is awarded
    • a pat on the back;
    • a lump of coal;
    • a fair amount of razzing from donut3.5.
This challenge is now complete and will soon [EDIT] (after a few days have elapsed) be moved to the Challenge Archive.

Last edited:
Level 8
I'm so glad I didn't get any neg rep :D Thanks Wolvy!

And yay! Coal! I'll have to put that somewhere in one of my maps...

EDIT: Ehhh... still not moved...

Status
Not open for further replies.