Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

POLL: How did you discover the Hive?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Sep 19, 2016.

?

How did you find Hive?

1. Searching for map making help / tutorials

2. Searching for maps / campaigns

3. Recommended by a friend

4. Hive affiliate / partner

5. Searching for custom models / skins / spells etc

6. Facebook / Twitter / YouTube / Discord

7. Map you played linked to Hive / hosted project

8. Other - Explain in post!

9. wc3sear.ch member

10. Mentioned online in WC3 (Clan, Lobby, Loading Screen, In-game, etc)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dr. Benevolent Guy

Dr. Benevolent Guy

Resources:
    Resources:
    World of Warcraft led me here finding WOW Lore Campaigns and happy to found Lord of Clans, The Last Guardian and The Day of the Dragon. Thanks Guys.

2. UndeadMartyr

UndeadMartyr

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just looking for an active wc community, and here it is!

3. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is and always will be, for sure. :smile: Welcome to a great community.

4. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hi, I found Hive Workshop through google when I search for some custom models and spell triggers for Warcraft 3. Because I wanted to try on developing my own map for fun and to try out how to program a map and spells in Warcraft 3 as I had boring coding for business application.

5. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A mighty boast. I was on Hive before it even migrated to the server that would *eventually* merge with Wc3sear.ch (yes, there was a Hive forum before this one). I found it through Warhammer 40K TD back in 2004, which is incidentally how this whole thing got started.

Respect yr elders RDZ.

6. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hehe, yea - A true elder has spoken :grin: (Everytime someone brings up wc3sear.ch I find myself looking back, makes one feel both older and younger at the same time, its a strange feeling).

7. BolvarFordring

BolvarFordring

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I guess HiveWorkshop is kind of the universal place to find anything related to Warcraft. So people talk about it in-game and then people eventually get here. :) That was my case, at least.

8. ArthasAzeroth

ArthasAzeroth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, I came here, because I've browsed through the Google search results of "Warcraft III Reforged" as I am actively searching for everything around that topic. :)

9. Verticor

Verticor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was just fiddling about on Google, looking for some new RPG maps. Then I came here. The place looked nice, and the owner is apparently also from Denmark, so naturally that's an automatic seal of approval right there.

10. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was a kid with big dreams of making a video game. The editor was the closest thing I got to making one which led to me scouring the internet for models, guides, etc. and now here I am.

11. Juno Slade

Juno Slade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Happened to be looking for something so I made an account and checked here, haven't found it yet so far.

12. Prince Aero

Prince Aero

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was looking for a particular wc3 campaign, and I managed to find it here

13. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was a VERY longtime lurker since the days of wc3sear.ch, not exactly a member at all, but I put that down for the poll anyways. So I just came when wc3sear.ch died.

14. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I thought I'd use this thread to write the story of how I remember stumbling upon this place.

A bit of backstory: As a kid (late 90s to early 00s) I liked playing all sorts of RTS games and especially liked ones where there was a map editor included. I dabbled with the BW editor, Wc2 editor, AoE editor etc. Because of this when Wc3 came out and I had already played a bit of the campaigns (I sucked too much to beat most of the missions) and a bit of melee (where I sucked even more and had like 15% win rate) it was natural to try out the included World Editor...

My mind was blown wide open; the possibilities seemed endless, I got to feel like a real game developer working in a 3D engine and could do anything within only the boundaries that were my creativity. This was before finding such fancy things as the object and trigger editors, mind. For me being able to place multiple copies of the pre-defined Thrall unit (in colors other than Red!) was more than enough to satisfy my map-making cravings at the time.
    Oh the joy of being 10 again.

My memory fails me and I sadly don't recall many details from the next next years, one thing I do remember was when TFT shipped with the improved object editor capabilities I was once again blown away and remember making a customer necromancer unit with a custom raise dead that spawned a shit load of skeletons. I also remember it was very difficult to figure out how to make a hero unit out of a normal unit, but after 1-2 years me and my brother realized we could just change the model and icon of an already existing hero unit (intelligence 100) - I could finally have my Kel'thuzad necromancer hero unit. Another shit load of skeletons raised.

Mind, what I was doing was not modding or even map-making. At best I was messing with a tool, at worst playing with a digital toy. Going through the historical archives, I have learned that I was the Wc3-modding equivalent of a primitive half-man while others were already writing scripts in Jass and working on maps that are legendary to this day.

Sorry, I am not a writer, I lose track of where I am and ramble. I write like I think (and it's a whole lot of mess that only makes sense if you're me). Let's get back to the point.

So I have been tinkering with the World Editor on and off for a few years, but I knew nothing of modding communities, mpq files or anything of the sort. The demo campaign that shipped with TFT was my only source of how to properly make maps and through tons of copying and pasting I managed to make some sort of cinematics and triggers to go with my epic maps. For one reason or another (I don't quite remember) I was looking for a tutorial online how to do something specific. I don't recall if I ever found what I was looking for but I remember finding the below tutorial from thehelper that I will never forget:
    Attachments and Special Effects

Needless to say, I was blown away another time. You can attach one model to another? Wait. I don't care about that. But I Read further. "Importing and Using Custom Models". Custom. Models. I read how to import models, because everybody likes custom models, right? Problem is... I don't have any models and I don't know how to make any. Shame.

By now I realized there was an ocean of information out there and people just like me who liked to use the world editor as well. If only I could 'em I would also find 'em models.

Eventually I stumbled upon a website called wc3sear.ch (maybe this was in 2005-2006?) which had. So. Many. Models. I felt like a fisherman in a sea where nobody had ever fished before me.
    Download. Import. Restart WE. Repeat.

I didn't ever register at wc3sear.ch. I don't remember doing so anyway (unless that was needed to download resources, someone else can surely fill that part in). However in february 2007 I finally found my way to THW (possibly through a redirect from wc3sear.ch, alternatively a google search) and registered an account.

It would take another couple of days before my first post, but I actually remember that day. It was just before heading to school. It was finally time to become a part of this community and start contributing to Wc3 modding... Behold my first post:
    upload_2020-8-17_12-47-7.png

Needless to say... I Still don't have that really cool ogre skin or model 13 years later. Damn.

Why you read to this point beats me. But thanks for your patience in reading the ramblings of an old man, I suppose.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Damn, now after reading that post it makes me want to try and remember a bit more on specifics, haha.

Let's see... I think I initially found wc3sear.ch initially by a Google search, something to do with models I think? Maybe I was looking for more maps? Campaigns? I stumbled on a site that mentioned potion item models (The ones by Xazuki probably, these~ PotionOfGreaterHealing ) but it's been far too long for me to actually be certain... Anyways, somewhere on that page it had a link to wc3sear.ch, this would have been 2004 I think? (lines up with when linked model was upped anyway) At the time Day of the Fish was being worked on I think.

Maybe I'm cheating, but I had to use the Wayback Machine to check a few things, and what I remember does seem to line up.

After that I may've encountered Hive before the merging happened? Recall something to do with some Draenei unit models like something related to a Grunt so that would have been 2006/2007 probably.

Aaaand that's all I got so far. Ah well, was fun to reminisce anyway.