1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Polishing Your Game

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by N1ghthawk, May 24, 2010.

1. mikeisman2

mikeisman2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Be sure to note that the log should also include the current version and the number of previous versions made and that they are dated.
    Also that they should try to make as few custom units in the editor as possible and just modify existing units in the editor as much to reduce file size and game speeds. This is due to the fact that any new unit (custom unit) created in the editor is a new object instantiated in the game along with the current preexisting units in the game. When a game loads it loads the whole list of objects preexisting and custom made into the game file. When a preexisting unit is changed its just numbers in the game that are modified and in coding terms i guess numbers are very small and do not take up a lot of space which for a game that may have a lot of custom units will slow down load time and game speeds. yes this can get confusing though because of the the directory navigation for the objects but i would suggest strongly using the editor suffixes to help you identify each object created or modified as to build a level of organization for the map.
    Now when it comes to modeling yes using as few high file sized models is recommended but you should also look to exporting your imported data and using conversion tools to minimize their file size so basically using a tool to take a 400kb model file and converting it down to for examples sake 100kb this yes will reduce quality of the model but with the graphical limitations of wc3 editor i do not think it would make much of a difference.
    The same goes for the object data of your units in the object manager i believe there are tools for doing so but i could be wrong. trying to minimize your object data as much as possible is very important. This can be done with your icons, textures, models, and custom music and sounds imported into the game.
    Now to further optimize in-game speed and reduce crash possibilities you should look to putting a recycler into the game because as far as i know i believe when an object in-game is destroyed or removed or killed its as though it is put into for examples sake a dump imagine filling a land fill eventually that land fill will be full so in terms of your game when that land fill is full the game "crashes" to try to evade this almost inevitable situation form occurring a recycler should basically take destroyed objects store them into an array most likely a limited array so say 12 spots every time an object is destroyed it will be placed in this array this storage bin so to say. now yes that storage bin will fill up but what it will do is look to the first position of that storage bin and say hey why dont i just place this newly destroyed unit were that one is what the program will do is take the data the code associated with that object and rewrite it over the existing objects data in that position. by doing this you are reducing the amount of object data building up in your landfill so to speak. imagine taking all that trash and compressing it continuously. This is the same concept that goes along with ghost code ghost code is the remains of a file when you for example delete it . when you delete a file what happens is it is told hey here is a file this is the bits that make it up let me write something like a 0000 at the end the file become unreadable to the computer and has no verification associated to it and is recognized as "deleted" when is reality there is bits of the original file remaining that is why say you have a usb and it starts with 10 gbs and after a couple years if you delete everything off of it it has for example 9.5 gb. this is the reason.
    That was a lot but i hope you understand what im saying though when it comes to optimizing your game and reducing its file size!

2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    @N1ghthawk seems like the images in your album have been removed (or maybe got lost at some point?). Do you happen to have any backups? :(

I think the tutorial can stand on its own, but I did enjoy the examples the images provided.