• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hey everyone. I'm designing a multiplayer Pokemon RPG game. At this point in time, I intend to create a loose adaptation off Pokemon Fire-Red version. I wanted some feedback on how everyone feels about different battle systems. Whichever system I design, I intend to make abilities scale off Pokemon stats like the actual Pokemon game (not agility, strength and intelligence). Players will enter a "battle arena" of sorts when they encounter a wild Pokemon in the grass, giving players their own space to deal with Pokemon battles.

Turn Based
Pokemon fight in turns. Players have time to choose which move they want to use.

- Harder to implement
- More natural to Pokemon
- Battles are time consuming
- Max teams of 2. I don't intend to experiment with triple battles or greater.

Real Time Battle
Pokemon fight in real time and abilities have cooldowns similar to other Warcraft 3 games. Pokemon's attack damage is negligible, highlighting the importance of the Pokemon's abilities.

- Easier to implement
- Faster paced Battle
- Introduces new mechanics like moving, dodging, etc.
- More natural to Warcraft 3
- Max teams of 3 or 4

What Battle System would you hope to see in a Warcraft 3 Pokemon game? Would you be open to the opposing system? What would this system look like to you?

pokemon-battle-jpg.310284

I not ready to discuss other components of my map. This is very early days and I have a roadmap to work on.

Level 7
Thats a tough question...i kinda like both approaches. It depens what you want to achieve. For a competetive focus and big player groups i would pick the action version, for more rpg feeling and smaller groups i would pcik the round based system.

Level 9
Turns. Because it will please nostalgic players. I think there will be less chance for players to abuse errors of the second option, such as always being able to avoid enemy attacks. I watched a little the anime, I think up to 3 league. And the Pokemon do not get moving around much without fighting.

I wish that put up the classic game music, but as an option to turn them on (as default off)

Level 10
I think that if you go for a real time based approach, i would step back from the pokemon theme altogether and go for the adaptation of the games base principle (catch and train monster, let them engage in fights with each other). It gives you more freedom, since else you try to adapt sonething that was build for tzrn based gameplay into a real time based one. Going woth your own approach gives you more freedom.to approach mechanics differently. The biggest reason to go with pokemon as main theme is nostalgia, and since most of the well done games are round based, i would stick to that. Even more if you make an adaption of fire-red.

So overall, i would agree with the aformentioned people here.

Level 9
Pokemons alone attacked, but when captured by humans. Most of the time, it is the human who initiates the action of the attack by speaking by name, such as Pikachu's thundershock.
If you want you could leave random option for action that pokemon will do on the battlefield. 1 turn?

And do not even make mistakes I think, that in the red, blue, yellow, etc. That Pokemon can only have a maximum of 4 skills, if not, have to substitute one skill for another.
Mew and Mewtwo that I remember have all the skills of other Pokemon, but in these classics they have a skill that uses a random skill of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.