• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PLEASE HELP! how do I get my map size bigger than 256x256?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Ok well I'm running a bit out of room on my map you see and when I went to Scenario-Map Size and Camera bounds and clicked on the arrows surrounded the map till the size was 360x360 I clicked on ok. But then this message came up saying that
"The full map area (some number cells) exceeds the limit of 65536 cells"

And its driving me nuts :twisted:

How can I make my map size bigger than 256x256?

If someone would be kind enough to give me an answer to this issue, I'd really appreciate it :wink:

k thx

Seacrest out!

Level 8
Yeah, WEU (World Editor Unliomited) allows for a map size of up to 440 x 440 spaces.\
But for me, I don't use it that much because it puts in alot of stuff that I don't use. Spontaniously.

Level 5
i recently expanded my own RPG from 192 to 256 (as in beta to v1.0), a 78% increase, and after 9 days of editing (as in, 9 *hardcore* days of editing) i've only filled in half the extra space.

i know this is simply my own personal opinion and isn't what you asked for, but i wouldn't recommend going bigger than 256. players get annoyed when they have to trek across huge maps over and over. i believe instead in packing a smaller map with more content.

that being said...i'm not saying my own map won't be bigger than 256 someday, but that's when every little nook and cranny is full to bursting with happy fun content.

cheers

Level 4
Preskooldude said:
Yeah, WEU (World Editor Unliomited) allows for a map size of up to 440 x 440 spaces.\
But for me, I don't use it that much because it puts in alot of stuff that I don't use. Spontaniously.

I've been using WEU on my map for a while! But I only know how to make a NEW map with that size, and I don't know how to make it go to 440x440 with an already opened map you know what I mean?

Also jruland I know what your saying but you see I'm portraying an entire WORLD based off the DBZ anime series. And a world like that needs to have a big size in order to portray the world correctly y' know?

Level 24
OR you could just expand your map. but hey, expanding the borders of your map is SOOOO hard compared to copying and pasting terrain, triggers, units, imported objects, object settings, etc.... ALL individually. i mean, checking a box and clicking a few arrows is SO hard compared to all that CnP, you know?

Level 5
Re: PLEASE HELP! how do I get my map size bigger than 256x25

6Ghostface_Kilah9 said:
Ok well I'm running a bit out of room on my map you see and when I went to Scenario-Map Size and Camera bounds and clicked on the arrows surrounded the map till the size was 360x360 I clicked on ok. But then this message came up saying that
"The full map area (some number cells) exceeds the limit of 65536 cells"

Teh_Ephy said:
OR you could just expand your map. but hey, expanding the borders of your map is SOOOO hard compared to copying and pasting terrain, triggers, units, imported objects, object settings, etc.... ALL individually. i mean, checking a box and clicking a few arrows is SO hard compared to all that CnP, you know?

someone here's a moron, and it isn't ghostface. if you're going to flame please read the entire thread to avoid looking like a jackass.

Level 24
oh haha :?

yeah u can flame me for missing that if u want... i really hate my incredibly short attention/memory spans... not sure how i missed it, but yeah okay i'm a retard and/or whatever else you feel like adding for missing that... yeah i guess u'll have to use CnP then... unless there's some thing that u need to check to allow it to expand farther. since i'm going to sound stupid for saying that without explaining it, maybe it's auto-checked when u go for something bigger.
about the flaming, i wasn't trying to, was just being (overly i suppose) sarcastic. which is something i should probably fix about myself, but won't get around to since i procrastinate so much. :|

as an afterthought, what's in your map that makes it so big? 256x256 is huge, and i would assume that it's really hard to fill. maybe you could compensate by scaling down the model scale and collision size on the units in your map? would make it look cooler to some ppl, as long as they're big enough to click on easily. 8) okay so i skim too much, but i may have made up for my retarded post earlier with this, right?

Level 8
Thats true, many people are unwilling to...
I'ma give you a medal and some ice cream.
medal.jpg

ice_cream_sundae_catering.jpg

Level 5
Wtf? Who's the nubcake who said 256x256 is huge? 256x256 is tiny as hell man. No free will at all in that, I almost always do 480x480 on my maps aside from the fact that anything beyond 256x256 disables Loading Screens from working (a blank one with just the preview image of you're map) and no fixed sky or time of day IN THE EDITOR. So there's a few minuses, maybe a tad bit o lag but 256x256 just doesn't allow large maps to fit in it. It's tiny I tried a 256x256 map I was struggling with the size I had to remake it and do 480x480. Well Ghost I suppose CnPing your terrain wouldn't be a good idea, cuz you can't paste any land variation or ramps that you've made. You should have made the mao 480x480 from the start. But if you struggle with size, I think it's too late now. Sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.