1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Pirate Tag! (Old/original discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Pirate Tag!' started by ragingspeedhorn, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pirate Tag
    by: ragingspeedhorn

[​IMG]

Content
    Download
    What is 'Pirate Tag'?
    General information
    Bugs/to do list
    Screenshots

What is 'Pirate Tag'?

Pirate Tag is, as the name states, a tag map which supports up to 10 players. The map was originaly only made for The Hive Workshops minigame contest but peoples response to the map was very positive and so I decided to keep on working on the map even after the contest ends. If you like the map I encourage you to go and vote on it for the contest, the outcome of the contest will greatly affect the further development of the map. The poll should be up within the next few days.

The gameplay and rules of the map is simple. There are basicly 2 teams, pirates and land huggers. Pirates must catch the land huggers to turn them into pirates aswell, that goes on untill the last land hugger is caught. Last caught land hugger wins the round, gains a point and is chosen as next rounds first pirate. That cycle repeats untill someone gets the required amount of points to win the game.

So what is so different about this game as opposed to other tag games? Well first of you don't use the mouse in this game but move by pressing the keyboard hotkeys I (up), J (left), K (down) and L (right). That itself is a big difference from almost every other tag game there is. Second the idea of the map, it's simple, more simple than most, no special abilitys (though that might get added later) or anything, just pac man movement, catch the other guys untill no one is left.

General information
    Map name: Pirate Tag
    Current version: 1.4b
    Expansion required: Yes
    Playable map size: 32x32
    Tileset: Sunken Ruins
    Destructibles: 8
    Doodads: 144
    Regions: 5
    Cameras: 0
    Triggers: 35
    Variables: 38
    Sounds: 2
    Imports: 8

Bugs/to do list
    Known bugs: Nothing at the moment, do report bugs if you find any.​

To do list: Implement runes for next version. ​
    Make things more efficient. ​
    Any suggestions you might have, please tell them, everything and anything is appreciated, thanks!​

Screenshots

A few screenshots taken in singleplayer, more might come up later from multiplayer games.

Yarr.jpg Yarr2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Darkey

Darkey

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks good overall.

Now I'm not really sure if you meant the pirates to be almost as big as the trees or it's just a current state in progress, but it looks a little weird to me. :p Also using I, J, K and L as movement keys? I usually find W, A, S and D to be easier to use since it my left hand mostly in that area.

3. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problem with WASD was that S was = Stop and I could not find any easy solution to the problem so because of lack of time before contest submission date I just went with IJKL as that is often used aswell in internet games and such that are multiplayer.

I were supposed to make the trees larger aswell, but never got around to it, not the most important thing on my mind though :p

------------------

Project revived and back in development, I would really appreciate it if some more people came with a review of the game, the more feedback, positive as negative, the better. Thanks!

4. HeretoDLstuff

HeretoDLstuff

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Right now it seems funner for me with less players, becaus the islands to small. Make the island bigger, and it would be better with more players...but worse with less. So I dont know if you want to do it or not, but the map sucks with full house.

Alllthough It has afew bugs, this map is GREAT fun.

5. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I were actually thinking about lowering the maximum amount of players down to 8 to make it less crowded, but I don't know if I should do it or not, I'm a bit lazy and it's a lot of work :p

6. Ljusdahl

Ljusdahl

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Continuing the conversation we had in the chat...

Completely story-wise, it would make more sense if it wasn't a "tag", but rather something more serious.

Are you familiar with the term "Shanghaiing" or "Crimping", and the history behind it? In short, during the mid 1800's on the north American west coast, there was a huge shortage of good sailors as everyone escaped the sea for the California gold rush. Not enough people wanted to go to sea. Also, during this time there was a legislation that made it illegal for any crew to leave the ship before the voyage was completed, so captains durned to crime to man their boats. One method was to forge their signature and then force the victim onboard. Another was to lure them with false promises. Those who were in charge of manning the ships were called "crimps" or "boarding masters" and could make a fortune off their work.

I don't know, maybe something for the loading screen, or maybe it'll give you ideas. Just though I'd share.

And as I mentioned earlier, maybe a snazzier hat for the first pirate? Just for that extra touch.

7. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you could find me someone to make a cool hat, then sure, if not then there is no other attachment than the one already used sadly.

And thanks for the story ideas but I don't want to delete the text already in the loadingscreen because that tells all the gameplay and without that people would be completely lost. Also removing "tag" from the name wouldn't be that good a choice I think, the word tag attracts a lot of people on BNet I think, or is it more a negative thing these days?

Anyways thanks for the feedback :)

8. Ljusdahl

Ljusdahl

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know wether tags are popular these days or not, but I think people associate "tags" with sheep tag, ent tag, kodo tag, the type of maps where you hide and build bases ect. This map is nothing like those at all, but more like the real life child game, thus giving people the wrong idea of what kind of map it is.
    I'd change the name, but then again I hate most wc3 tags and would never willingly be associated with one.

9. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I get your point, but in such a case, what should the name then be? It would need to be easy to understand, catchy and so on. Perhaps Pirates vs Land Huggers? (dumb but works)

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    how do you mean to detect when palyer relases wasd or ijkl keys? its impossible.

11. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They don't have to hold in the keys. You press J and your character starts walking to the left. The movement is basicly like Pacman.

12. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    you mean they never stop?

13. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unless they hit the wall (water in this case) they will not stop no. Just open the map and see how things are done, it's not protected.

14. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Having played it myself, I can testify that this map is exceptionally fun!

15. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    :thumbs_up:

That's what I like to hear!

16. Gravedigger

Gravedigger

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think the map sounds pretty good. For the Island issue I would recommend creating two islands, one small one, and one big one, separated by a boundry. Depending on how many players you have, the game would select the island for you and create your pirate or tree hugger there, you then have the camera instantly pan to their unit.

17. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That could work but then again I don't want to do that because I would have to increase the map boundries a lot which would almost double the current filesize and I would like to keep the filesize as low as possible.

Thanks for the proposal anyways, please do try out the map! :)

18. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well actually, I believe you can cahnge the hotkeys for Attack, Stop, Hold Position and Patrol by going in Advanced and then in Gameplay Constants in the toolbar of the World Editor.

19. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, well as I said I didn't know how to do it at the time and I was still working on the map the day of the submission date so I had no time to look around.

20. Gravedigger

Gravedigger

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I tested it last night, very simple, but some how fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.