• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Petition to get a Dota 2 models resource section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hive doesn't want to take a chance with Dota. I asked them months ago to give us proper forums, not 1 measly forum. They were reluctant to do so, saying "we're going to wait until the current Dota forum gets more popular". They lost their chance to be _the_ place for Dota modders, as ModDota is thriving and already well advertised.

Level 3
My first map Warchasers already has more subscribers than downloads of the #1 hiveworkshop map, and it's not even the most popular map on the workshop (Pudge Wars is reaching 600k) so anyone doubting the popularity of Dota Modding is either delusional or living under a rock.

Vidovit

Banned
Level 3
It would be great for Dota2 modding to get it's place here.
However i fear that Dota2 is such a huge game that there will be exclusive sites for this which will dominate all others.

It would be great for Dota2 modding to get it's place here.
However i fear that Dota2 is such a huge game that there will be exclusive sites for this which will dominate all others.

True. But when it comes to modding, many people prefer niche communities. Some communities are just far too big and overwhelming. Take for example, Sc2mapster. It was the sc2 modding hub, but it easily became overcrowded as people were submitting maps every few minutes. Some people may prefer relatively smaller communities so that their map can see the light of day.

We'd also have the benefit of being a community with Warcraft III roots, which many old school DotA players would probably appreciate.

Level 18
My first map Warchasers already has more subscribers than downloads of the #1 hiveworkshop map, and it's not even the most popular map on the workshop (Pudge Wars is reaching 600k) so anyone doubting the popularity of Dota Modding is either delusional or living under a rock.

Speaking about warchasers, i did play your map noya, it was good but still needs to get fixed a lot of issues like the lag when a lot of units spawn.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Myll is wrong.
Depends on which of the statements. I have also been saying for several years now that it takes more than a forum to attract people to a game. The fact the SC2 section never took off is also proof that timing is important. People are looking for the best support available for their projects and they won't accept waiting or a simple forum thread.

Level 19
If the hive wants a DotA 2 resource section than there has to be full-fledged devotion towards supporting the DotA 2 modding community. This would require a group of modders willing to take the charge in making the Hive a community for DotA 2 modders. If its just going to be what happened with Starcraft 2, a couple new subforums with a moderator (may be a bad example due to the lack of overall mod support for sc2), than its just going to be another dead forum.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I think this is a pretty good idea too.

I have also been saying for several years now that it takes more than a forum to attract people to a game. The fact the SC2 section never took off is also proof that timing is important. People are looking for the best support available for their projects and they won't accept waiting or a simple forum thread.

I think timing's a pretty large factor, but even more than that I think game controlled repositories tend to kill modding scenes. I think this is why the SC2 section has never took off.

That said - some attraction is better than no attraction.

Level 15

It may have something to do with WC3 being over a decade old and DotA2 being F2P.

Status
Not open for further replies.