• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Permian Survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Thhis is the name (for now) of the survivor map I am making. It involves the evolution and competition of existing species. The fish have evolved from placoderms to become more efficient hunter of the water. Amphibians are in their prime and reptiles are a new evolution.
basically, I need models for:

Dimetrodon
Diplocaulus or Diploceraspis
Lung-fish
Hybodus (Shark)
Crocodile
Sea-scorpion (Eurypterid)
Edaphosaurus
---intended to be a critter---
Ammonite

The shark can be like OlofMoleman's shark except I need attack and movement animation. the Sea-scorpion can be OlofMoleman's also except I need it to have attack and moving animation. I'd like the Diplocaulus to be mottled green.
Ammonite can be low poly as it is just a critter.

:lol: In truth, since some of these are OlofMoleman's works that could be improved upon, this should be more directed to him than any other... I'll go contact him....
EDIT: if someone is seriouisly willing to help me out, reply, and PM me and I'll post specific requirements, I may even draw and post the drawing so you will have a graphical image (that's how helpful I am :D )

Sounds like a great idea. I'll try to make some of those models, but I'm also working on lots of other projects, so it may take some time. maybe you didn't know but I also made an Eryops, a Permain amphibian. and it's a carnivore. so you could use that as a predator. as you already said I made a Shark model but it doesn't have attack anims, but I know some one that might make an attack anim for it but right now he's working on the anims of a T-rex model, but the Sea scorpion has attack anims, so could use that. I think I'll start on the Dimetrodon, Diplocaulus and Ammonite.

Here is a picture of the nearly finished Diplocaulus.
Diplocaulus.jpg

Level 5
wow, thanks...

looks quite nice! although I don't want to be mean, I feel the Diplocaulus could be slightly better done..
(attack animation etc.) I mean the guy has got to bite... and stuff

basically, for small citters, the predators can just devour but for larger animals and competing with each other they need to bite, and then when dead, I will replace the dead unit with a unit named carcass which can be devoured..... so I'd really like animation for the predators besides critters...
I'd say it needs more polys, swim and bite animation... the walking animation is pretty good, I like it....

wait, let me post something up ...hold on

Level 5
diplocaulus5ov.png

here is a picture of it in the museum i think.
slightly more of an arrow-head type head...
....longer tail... dark-olive, murk green skin was kinda what I was looking for...

and swim animation could be it with its legs tucked to its sides and using its tail like in the pic
slightly shorter legs (just a tiny bit)

----your current model isn't bad, but could use improvements, also, it's a bit 'see-through' and has like 1 eye

Level 5
diplocaulustest4zq.png

this is what it looks like in my pre-version of the map... I'm going to be remaking the terrain... anyways

the Diplocaulus looks kinda... not great.... out of all your models and skins olofmoleman, this is the one I am disappointed in most (sea-scorpion and shark animation don't forget! :) ) but I guess it could be good for a critter... remember, the Diplocaulus will be a playable unit... and I hope you remake one and please use the provided pic above as a sort of guide

I don't want to be offensive or anything so please don't take it that way, just some helpful advise and constructive criticism... :D

Level 5
nice new Diplocaulus, olofmoleman!
However, to perfect it, it still needs attack and swim animation.... :?

could anyone get an attack and swim animation if olofmoleman can't?

(since he has said that he is not very skilled with it :cry: )

Dimetrodon (done)
Diplocaulus or Diploceraspis (done)
Lung-fish
Hybodus (Shark)
Crocodile
Sea-scorpion (Eurypterid) (done)
Edaphosaurus
---intended to be a critter---
Ammonite (done)

I think i'll start on the Edaphosaurus now.

BTW I think you should make that Diplocaulus much smaller. thew larger ones are Eryops, Dimetrodon and Edaphosaurus.

and I don't have the programs for animating.

and btw you can of course also use my 3 Trilobite models, they also lived in the Permain.

Level 5
yeah... I'll find someone else who can add attack animations..with your permission... I doubt you'd refuse

Thanks for the Diplocaulus, Dimetrodon, Ammonite...
I have already downloaded Eryops and Trilobite...they are the models that inspired me to go through with my dream of making Permian Survivor map ... :D

I think Diplocaulis was around 1.5 meters... and Eryops was around 7 ft. long... about 2 meters... so I believe you are right and I will make Diplocaulus a bit smaller... I admit he is a bit big in the screenshot.

Level 5
diplocaulusdiagram2xc.png

this diagram is for those who would wish to animate this model... as of now, it's only Splatt...

if this was supposed to be a real drawing it would look better... but it just to give people who don't already know, an idea of how the Diplocaulus swam and ate

Level 5
new requests

here is the new list of needed models, because I realized that it needed more variation so that there is better gameplay:
Predator
Eryops (done)
Dimetrodon (done)
Diplocaulus / Diploceraspis
Lung-fish
Hybodus (Shark) (needs attack anim.)
Crocodile
Sea-scorpion (Eurypterid) (done)
Lycaenops (newly added)

?(undecided 9th)?

Prey
Edaphosaurus

---intended to be a critter--- *
Ammonite (done)
Dragonfly (newly added)

*nearly all critters and 'edible creatures' are using ingame models or already taken care of. They include the Trilobite, bettles, etc. etc.
------------------------------------------------------------
Lycaenops
lycaenops4oi.png

he can basically be like Dimetrodon, except, he has no sail, his legs are more underneath than sprawling to the sides and his head will be more upraised, and those long canines are a trademark of the Lycaenops kind; everything else structurally, is the same. Also, I would like him to have like tan skin and "grey or brown" stripes on his back. The maker can decide the stripe color, brown or gray. he is supposed to be a little smaller than the large Dimetrodon.
------------------------------------------------------------
Edaphosaurus can be just like the Dimetrodon except make the head like an Edaphosaurus head, smaller and more herbivorous, than the Dimetrodon's and please make the coloration of body different shades of gray, the sail yellow with blue stripes
However, thats my suggestion, don't let my idea ruin your creative coloration... unless you feel my coloration idea is reasonable...

Level 5
HYBODUS this is the shark... I still may need your previous shark model since there were definitely more than one kind of shark in the Permian seas
hybodus_z1.jpg

Level 5
perhaps someone can add swimming animation to the defiler model here. Therefore, the sea-scorpion skin that olofmoleman made can have swimming... as the ancient Eurypterids did

Level 5
Rao Dao Zao

well... excuse me, KuKulzA.. I think that...
(alright I'll stop talking to myself)

Rao Dao Zao has become interested in the venture and has potentially offered assistance.

Possibly, a new model of the Sea-scorpion (Eurypterid) can be made so that it can look better than the current skin which relies on killst4r's defiler model. Perhaps with a new model, the Eurypterid can look more accurate and better, and be better animated with swim animation!
============================================================================================================================
As of now ...the progress....

Predator
Eryops (done)
Dimetrodon (done)
Diplocaulus / Diploceraspis ***(swim anim.)
Lung-fish
Hybodus (Shark) ***(needs attack anim.)
Crocodile
Sea-scorpion (Eurypterid) (situation tentative)
Lycaenops (newly added)

?(undecided 9th)?

Prey
Edaphosaurus

---critter---
Ammonite (done)
Dragonfly (newly added)

***The Diplocaulus attack & swim animation and the Shark animations of attack will be done by Splatt unless he has personal issues etc. and is unable to do them.
============================================================================================================================
Terrain is nearly complete: about 95%
triggering undone

Level 5
Fern request

after looking beyong the animal kingdom and analyzing the plant, I realized that, of course, plant were different then... however, with all the custom and imported models... I do not want to be cluttered with tons of veggie models... so I am requesting only one:

The prehistoric Fern
prehistoricferns0ka.png

it can be low poly and small... but big enough so that its default size is bigger than a Footman. :D
this plant is trademark of the Pleozoic and Mesozoic era.... so I deem it nearly necessary...

Level 5
SeaScorpion anims.

wow, this is the ninth post in a row :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sea-scorpion will need anims such as:

Shedding (molting, etc.)
swim (tail up-&-down, back legs paddles)
walk (clumsily crawling)
attack (clawing)

....incase that wasn't apparent to people who would like to help.....
of course there will be death, standing, etc.

Level 5
Paleozoic Survivor

I am considering renaming the map: Paleozoic Survivor

....anyways, I have decided upon the 9th and final predator... :mrgreen:

Here is the Predator list:

Hybodus (shark)
Lung-fish
Diplocaulus
Eryops
Crocodilian *****
Dimetrodon
Lycaenops
Sea-scorpion
Orthocone

...it grew up to about 11meters... I think that is big enough to be categorized as prime hunter. :lol:

Hybodus was a powerful early shark, the lungfish was an aggressive predator, eating young amphibians (as they do today), the Eryops was a sort of land salamander and ate pretty much anything it could catch up with, the Dimetrodon could have warmed up faster than others and could have been an extremely versatile hunter, the Lycaenops was somehwat wolf-like and probably hunted in packs, the sea-scorpion was an adept hunter using spines and pincers, the Diplocaulus would've been a master of ambushing, and of course, the Orthocone was about 11 meters and was the dominant hunter of the seas while it existed.

for more info on the Orthocene, you can go here.

the problem is... I realized that Crocodiles, Phytosaurs, etc. did not evolve till the Triassic period (in Mesozoic Era). So I might just take Crocodilian off the list. :cry: So the Orthocone could be the 8th and last playable predator.

Level 5
alright... just tell me or pm me whebn you will be able to, thanks for letting me know...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as of now the team is:
KuKulzA
olofmoleman
Splatt
Rao Dao Zao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there are the needed models that have not been already made and animated:

Diplocaulus (swim anim.)
Lung-fish
Hybodus
Shark (needs attack anim.)
Sea-scorpion
Lycaenops
Orthocone

Edaphosaurus

Dragonfly

Prehistoric Fern-Tree

Level 5
body temp., moisture level, oxygen level

does anyone know how the makers of Ice Trolls Tribes or Jungle Troll Tribes made the resources turn into body temperature, etc.? I am trying out different triggers at this exact moment.... but I'd just like to know if anyone knows, then I can just do that :D instead of hours of trial and error... :cry:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....terrain is nearly complete... 8)

Level 5
environmental factors

well, thanks to RaoDaoZao, I currently attempting to find out how to do that by changing some Game Interface and adding triggers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:D I have completed making the environmental factors:

Health
HP = Health
This is the overall health of the animal. If it should go down to zero (0), then the animal is dead.

Energy
Mana = Energy
Energy is comprised of the creature’s stamina and physical capabilities. Specialized maneuvers and actions such as inkjet and sprinting require more energy than normal activities and are exertions.

Body Temperature
Gold = Body Temperature
For some animals (Dimetrodon and Lycaenops), this is an issue. As reptiles, these creatures need to focus on spending a certain amount of the time basking to raise their body temperature enough to fulfill the day’s energy requirements. Energy will not regenerate while body temperature is too low. At night, the body temperature will naturally be less.

Ideal (highest) temperature: 100
Nocturnal temperature: 60
Lethargic temperature: 40
(Health and Energy will decrease until body temp. reaches 0 or is increased)

The temperature will cease to decease when Resting.
The temperature will increase when basking in basking areas.
The temperature will decrease when at night (60).

Moisture
Wood = Moisture
For amphibians and some fish, moisture level is important. These are Eryops, Diplocaulus, and the Lungfish. These creatures need to stay moist in order to survive. They can go on land but are unable to fully separate themselves from the water for any long period of time.

The moisture level in water: 100
The moisture level in jungle: 90
The moisture level in the Badlands: 50
Dormant level: 40
(Health and Energy will decrease until moisture level reaches 0 or is increased)

When Resting in any place besides Badlands, moisture level will cease to go down. Moisture level will decrease during the day in anyplace besides in water, in cave, and in jungle.

Oxygen Level
Food = Oxygen
Aquatic creatures in large bodies of water often have a good supply of oxygen. Because of the low salinity of the inland seas, many creatures from different ecosystems are able to travel in and out of the seas without harm from the water itself. However, the oxygen level may be lower in vegetation-clogged swamps as opposed to the open sea. The creatures affected by this are the Sea scorpion, the Orthocone, and the Hybodus.

The oxygen level in the sea: 100
The oxygen level in the swamps: 60
Harmful low oxygen level: 30
(Health and Energy will decrease until oxygen level reaches 0 or is increased)

When in the sea, oxygen level is immediately recovered.

*Rest: an ability allowing the creature to be regenerating energy and stop loosing water/heat. :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 5
Sea Scorpion!!!

olofmoleman is going to try to make a sea-scorpion model of his own.
...what, that isn't enough? come on, I am just talking to an audience of me, myself, and I. Unless RaoDaoZao, Splatt, and Olofmoleman do look at the stuff I post...whatever...

(pic will be posted when complete)

Level 5
screenshots

These are some screenshots of the models in potential habitats
Note: These screenshots are taken in a "model-testing" map, it is not the actual map
war3eryops8jm.png

war3moschopsdimetrodon7wv.png

Level 5
yeah, you've told me about the resizing... I just haven't done it yet....

they will be smaller....

I understand you have a lot of requests...
and I cannot as of yet make my own models... since I am just learning to use gmax... which isn't easy to learn...3DSmax6 was easier but it was a trial.

so no pressure.... I want my project perfect not good... so don't rush it, when you feel you can sit down and make a wonderful model, that'll be wonderful... but don't strain yourself to do this... good modelers should make good models, greater modelers make greater models... do your best, just when it is more convenient for you

Level 5
Splatt, I understand you would like to see if I have an already planned anim for shark biting so you will have something to go by......

HomePage.gws2.gif

The Kodo's devour is similar to most sharks' biting...
The great white opens its mouth, a little on each jaw and lunges slightly, and chomps down.... a lot like Kodo's devour...
some sharks will also bite and tear... they will bite and thrash aroung horizontally sawing off the meat...

Level 5
well, you can ask RaoDaoZao or Splett to do anims

also, the shark model has some problems... the shark jumps up when attacking... Splatt added an attack but he can't get rid of the jumping... reminds me of a dolphin ... :lol:

Level 5
well, Splatt got the model to have attack... and the ehad and mouth move... but the shark just kee[s jumping up.... it was based on a sea-giant right? that's why I guess....

Level 5
I'm pretty sure I've sent it RaoDaoZao to check on it.... it is unfortunate that the sea Giant shark wont stop jumping... but maybe that anim can be deleted... perhaps the original can be used as a sort of SeaWorld Shark :lol: ... a tamed show shark maybe for some map... creative but not really fun sounding....

Level 4
olofmoleman said:
Okay here is some news, I'm going to make the Euripterus (sea scorion) from scratch. so it'll need anims, I now have Gmax, so maybe I'll try to make some swim and attack anims for the Diplocaulus, the Edaphosaurus just needs a skin, I made a modification from my Ammonite to an Orthocone, but then it'll need anims.
dude,i still have problems with 3dmax and gmax is a light version of 3dmax so it doesn't have lot of stuff that 3dmax5 haves,isn't compatible with art tools,and you must use dex script for exporting :wink: ...anyway good luck :) :D

Level 5
AWESOME!!!!
wow... I thought you had forgot about it all.... preposterous i know but it's been awhile... RDZ said he'd animate it... :D

Level 5
1) I dunno how you got the pre-version :evil:
2) I dunno who you are :x
3) I know there was no grass then :D

remember, it is a pre-version :wink:

so don't judge so quickly... it was a filler where a lot of the fern would go... just I dunno where the fern is... I wish I had more time to learn how to use gmax... I might make my own models in that case... when I get good .... 8)

...and "pedant"... well, not in the 'ostentatious' sense... so maybe a pundit in the sense that I try to be learned.
But I am picky about quality, authenticism, and fun... my bid for these ideals may make me seem a perfectionist and a pedant

Status
Not open for further replies.