• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Permanently Invisible Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
I tried using the Permanent Invisibility ability on a building but it doesn't work. Threads I've searched for appear to detail scenarios where the ability has worked on buildings, but I can't get to that stage. Anybody know why? There's not really any variables to mention on the ability itself, other than the duration is 0 (which means that you don't reveal yourself on attacks).

Level 20
I was under impression that buildings lack transparency. So even if it is invisible it will appear without the usual transparency effect but to enemy player it should be invisible. I have tested now with Ghost, Permanent Invisibility and Shadowmeld and while buildings for me were normal, the enemy buildings were invisible (Moon Well Water was visible). You'll have to add transparency effect with triggers if that is possible.

Level 23
as far as I know, 0 fade time means you will never totally fade away, which means you will never be completly invisible.

If you want permanent invisibility even when attacking, you can do the same trick that dota does with Slark's ultimate, and that is to put 2 different passive invisibilities on the same unit(ghost wolf's ability as well as one passive invis which can be found in the object editor)

Level 22
edo was talking about attacking, not being attacked

as far as I know, 0 fade time means you will never totally fade away, which means you will never be completly invisible.

If you want permanent invisibility even when attacking, you can do the same trick that dota does with Slark's ultimate, and that is to put 2 different passive invisibilities on the same unit(ghost wolf's ability as well as one passive invis which can be found in the object editor)

Level 20
Actually I by mistake wrote attacked instead of attacking, so it was my grammar mistake not misunderstanding (unless I am still misunderstanding). Attacked units don't break invisibility as far as I know. My point is still valid: "units with Ghost ability (or permanent invisibility set to 0) aren't revealed when they attack."

Level 35
I was under impression that buildings lack transparency. So even if it is invisible it will appear without the usual transparency effect but to enemy player it should be invisible. I have tested now with Ghost, Permanent Invisibility and Shadowmeld and while buildings for me were normal, the enemy buildings were invisible (Moon Well Water was visible). You'll have to add transparency effect with triggers if that is possible.

Hmm... well, it's possible that when the building was visible, I think it may have been on account of a detector, so you may be on to something there - I'll give it a look into, thanks ^_^

UPDATE: okay, just tested it and that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.

UPDATED UPDATE: for those who are saying that when the duration is set to 0 it means it doesn't break invisibility when you attack, that is absolutely correct.

Level 35
UPDATE:
I used my gmail account and successfully registered and downloaded the latest version of Warcraft Newgen (thanks for the tip :D )
The bad news, however, is that I still can't seem to get buildings to be invisible, and I can't for the life of me figure out why, especially since I have made buildings invisible before

Level 35
considered that possibility, but i think that would present a whole lot of new issues in itself, not to mention it would be lengthy to do as there are a lot of buildings already so far...
it's weird, because i know i've made buildings invisible in another map i worked on some time ago o_O
at least, i believe i did :p

Status
Not open for further replies.