1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Evolution complete! Make Darwin proud and go vote in the Techtree Contest #12 - Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Icon Contest #17 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. C'thun has spoken! Texturing Contest #29 - Results are published - check 'em out!
    Dismiss Notice

Path of the Damned - Unholy Ed. 1.111

Submitted by izaiphovias
This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Path of the Damned
Unholy Edition

A different take on the classic Undead campaign for RoC, with an updated game mechanic for the undead race, along with new spells for Arthas and Kel`Thuzad and new models for the Elven and Dalaran factions.

The Gameplay
I always thought that the undead on WC 3 had potential to be so much more unique instead of a simple build and train race like all the others. So I made this campaign in hope of creating a breath of fresh air for the shambling corpses. The campaign gameplay focuses much much more on the fact that you are commanding an army of risen dead warriors, replacing the traditional build and train method to something much more dynamic: using your necromancers to raise your soldiers for you, actually giving them the role they are supposed to have in an undead army, that is, to create the army itself.

Quel'Thalas and Dalaran
That's not all, of course, I also decided to address some other issues I had with Path of the Damned, like the elves and Dalaran looking way too much like traditional humans. I spiced things a little bit by replacing most models for both factions, to better fit their theme.

Arthas and Kel'Thuzad
And to finish things up, the Death Knight and Lich heroes (Arthas and Kel'Thuzad) are somewhat lame, they are probably useful on a melee game, but for a campaign, their abilities are way too underwhelming and some really not useful at all or do not have a big enough impact on the game. To fix this I've completly revamped Arthas' abilities, giving him the possibility to choose between three different spell kits (all inspired by WoW DKs) and added some new tricks to Kel'Thuzad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Callahan, supertoinkz, Tranquil, -Grendel, Ujimasa Hojo, Alpain, Direfury, HerrDave, MatiS, GooS, NFWar, infrenus, Lichkings slave, San, viiva

Additions
*Added the Bone Runes upgrade, which grants Skeletons resistance to spells, available from mission 3 onwards
*Added the Bone Shell upgrade, which grants Skeletons resistance to attacks, also allows them to be raised again after death, available from mission 5 onwards
*Added a hint message when trying to summon additional skeletons at max supply

Rebalance
*Removed the cooldown from the Swap Runes ability
*To balance the cooldown removal, increased the casting time to activate a rune type by 1 sec
*Increased the max number of Skeletons per Necromancer
*Reset Meat Wagons to their default stats
*Rebalanced Skeletons to be far stronger and Ghouls to be far weaker
*Ghouls now cost only 1 supply
*Increased Frostmourne Hungers cooldown from 3 to 6 seconds
*Winterguard Skeleton no longer has Frostbolt

Bugs and Tooltips
*Arthas will now properly face Sylvanas durig chapter 4 intro cinematic
*Dreadlords are now properly summoned during the first interlude
*Updated Necromancer's description
*Removed the 2/3 and 3/3 creature attack upgrades from mission 3
*Properly replaced all units on mission 7 for the custom ones
*Replaced the Sacrificial Pit in mission 5 to the custom one
*Crypt Fiends can now normally burrow nd unburrow
*Crypt Fiends now properly use the Creature Carapace upgrade
*Frost Whyrms now properly use the Creature Carapace and Attack upgrades
*Updated the Death Runes tooltip, explaining that you must first learn a rune before activating it
*Burrow now work as it should

Todo
*Automatically level up the spells when learning a new rune level (curently you must reactivate the rune in order to properly upgrade the spell)
*Customize the way Abominations are created
*Further cutomize the first mission
*Add means to spawn Zombies (other than the Unholy Plague spell)

So, I hope you enjoy...
Contents

Path of the Damned - Unholy Ed. (Campaign)

Reviews
darkdill
I have to say, this is promising, but there are a few issues. One I'll highlight right now is that the Meat Wagons do little damage to buildings if you direct-target them. I suspect that you were trying to make them less devastating against enemy...
WarcraftLiterature
So I got to the third mission, as promised here is an update. The upgraded tech-tree makes building up quite slower. Having two supply buildings doesn't looks to server any reason at all, mostly because I find their abilities quite useless until this...
darkdill
Speaking of clunkiness, I personally find it really clunky that the Graveyards don't generate corpses themselves. Having to sacrifice your Acolytes to create corpses doesn't feel very good, IMO, and causes your buildings to have to be really...
Aethernum
Ok nice ! Just finish the first mission of Quelthalas. And the problem is not comming from blight ground, it was blighted by my gold mine and necropolis, it’s just I cant build anything else. It saying need blight when there is already. Ok nice to...
nickymagic
I came to the fourth mission so far, and I will write my first impression. In the first mission, I don't feel any change, but maybe it is to get familiar with Arthas new spells. In third mission, you can't build on blight around starting base...
darkdill
That one of being unable to build around the first gold mine is a bug in the map that's even in the base game. Dunno what else to tell you about it. But back to something I'd like to suggest: I think that the Animate Dead ability for the Unholy rune...
Daffa the Mage
Do not use the 'Acolytes in Hiding' forces for the necromancer Disable Tichondrius item information Skeletons doesn't invoke Villagers to run Ability doesn't automatically upgrade upon new level of rune learning Sylvanas is still the same old classic,...
  1. Lazarator

Lazarator

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow... Looks promising. Gotta try it out right a way!

2. LISBOAH

LISBOAH

Resources:
    Resources:
    I tried to play.
    The moment I chose to level one of the abilities, a Critical Error occured.

I tried with patch 1.26 by the way.

3. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Some JASS codes I'm using might not be compatible with 1.26

4. LISBOAH

LISBOAH

Resources:
    Resources:
    So I have to use patch 1.29 or above?

5. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not sure, I'm using 1.29, just tested the first map again to be sure and it is working fine.

6. LISBOAH

LISBOAH

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok.

Sadly I can't test it neither today nor tomorrow. I will try to give a review Friday.

7. pleasancer benediction

pleasancer benediction

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yo nice campaign u have there bud. i found funny the fact that on the map description and the map title the word damned u spelled differently. You might wanna fix dat.

8. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Stupid typo... Fixed.

9. WarcraftLiterature

WarcraftLiterature

Resources:
    Resources:
    While this could be a little bit nostalgic, I feel like the first map isn't neither better or worse from the orignial one. It feel quite the same, but a little bit different. I will come with a more updated review once I go deeper into the campaign.

10. DeathReaper

DeathReaper

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have only played until the third chapter, and here is my review :

While it did feel more like as if I am playing as the master of the undead, I felt that the changes made it a lot more difficult to play. Dividing my forces isn't that easy anymore, food supply is rather hard to build up now due to the buildings that provide it takes up a lot more spaces and mustering my forces isn't simple as before anymore.
    I found a bug too, at the "Dreadlord Convene" interlude. When Tichondrius summons his other brothers, they do not appear nor does the spell that it normally used did.
    Also, I would appreciate it if you change the description of the Necromancer. From "... maintain 2 Skeleton Warriors and 1 Skeleton Archers... " to "... maintain 2 Skeleton Warriors OR 1 Skeleton Archers... ", I lost 18 Skeleton Warriors when I tried switching their mastery.

11. Ostustuki

Ostustuki

Resources:
    Resources:
    I could not see Arthas's spell even I changed the runes
    i used patch 1.26
    somebody pls help

12. darkdill

darkdill

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have to say, this is promising, but there are a few issues.

One I'll highlight right now is that the Meat Wagons do little damage to buildings if you direct-target them. I suspect that you were trying to make them less devastating against enemy structures, but if you just use attack-ground, they do their full damage to the buildings anyway.

So while I see what you were trying to do, it's not worth the trouble. Meat Wagons should kill structures in a hurry, and trying to nerf them specifically against buildings isn't really worthwhile.

That is, unless of course you were trying to make Meat Wagons do less damage versus units. If that's what you were trying to do, you got the damage numbers backwards. :oops:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. kingfirex2

kingfirex2

Resources:
    Resources:
    COOL LOVE IT !!! i played the first mission and i will play all missions when i have more time, good work man :)

14. WarcraftLiterature

WarcraftLiterature

Resources:
    Resources:
    So I got to the third mission, as promised here is an update.

The upgraded tech-tree makes building up quite slower. Having two supply buildings doesn't looks to server any reason at all, mostly because I find their abilities quite useless until this point of the story. Getting a level up and putting points in the rune abilites does nothing, it doesn't raise the level of the abilities or what they do, it does nothing, but I assume when you get a rune to level 3 you get the ultimate, but until that point your abilities are way underleveled. The Acolyte can't build on Blight because there is no Blight there, this all in the third mission, it's only at the North and Eastern edges of where you make your first base. On the third mission you can get your Ghouls to 2/1 upgrades, if we could do a Black Citadel that would have been a 3/1 upgrade, I guess that is not intentional? While the permanent Skeletons summoned by the Necromancers are a little bit better than the Ghouls they are affected by dispell, so why would I summon them when I can get temporary summons that cost way less? If this would have been an original work then probably I wouldn't have that big of a problem with it, but since it's just things added to the original campaign it just doesn't feel that good.

15. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, I agree that things got a little bit more complex, but that is part of the experience. The food though, I think I can balance it out on the next update.

That cinematic bug, I thought I had fixed that... Guess I'll need to take another look. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm sorry for you loss, lol. I'll update their description.

You must learn the runes first, otherwise they do not add any spell. I will probably add a hint message whenever the player actiavates an "empty" rune.

I honestly can't remember why the meat wagons were nerfed. They will be rebalanced for the next update.

Thanks for the in depth feedback. I will try to address these issues.
    I agree that it is quite slower and clunky now, but that can be rebalanced I think.
    Leveling up the runes should upgrade the spells as well, this might be a bug. I will look into it.
    The lack of blight is by Blizzard design, this works exactly the same on the original mission.
    The 2/1 possibility is not intentional, another bug I will look into.
    I am thinking about the skeleton situation and probably will add upgrades to enhance the permanent summons, to make them more worthwhile. Like adding Resisatant Skin, I am just not sure yet if this will help dealing with dispels.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. darkdill

darkdill

Resources:
    Resources:
    Speaking of clunkiness, I personally find it really clunky that the Graveyards don't generate corpses themselves. Having to sacrifice your Acolytes to create corpses doesn't feel very good, IMO, and causes your buildings to have to be really cluttered. I understand the kind of gameplay you were going for, but it just feels like it requires so many resources to even get a modest army.

And as for that whole "Why do we even need Meat Wagons" bit, isn't that obvious? You need them to counter enemy static defenses.

On another note, I'm also not keen on Arthas missing his Unholy Aura. That speed boost is VERY helpful, as is the regeneration boost, so missing it doesn't feel good. Maybe you could tie the aura to his "Frostmourne Hungers" ability?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but I dont like the whole magically generating corpses thing, it doesn't fit the theme I am going for here. I might try to think on an additional method of making corpses available... Or even rebalancing your army in order to better reward all the work to build it up.

Again, I dont remember why I nerfed the meat wagons, I'll fix that.

The aura will probably be incorporated on one of the runes, making it baseline for all probably will not fit the theme.

18. Aethernum

Aethernum

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have been waiting for this campaign since you have done the human revamp !
    Gonna play it and told u how good it is.

19. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The human revamp wasn't me, but I was definitively inspired by it.