1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Particle Party v0.80b

Submitted by Cyclotrutan
This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Story"

"Operation Firefly: A joint project between gnomish and goblin engineers. The task was simple: Reduce the test subjects down to a subatomic size with the Ultra-Miniaturizer 3000, then fire them to the outpost on Outland, where our technicians would get them back to their original size. It was supposed to be a cost-efficient way to travel between the two planets. Well, compared to the Dark Portal, that is. Do you know how much energy it takes to keep that thing open all the time?

Anyway, the miniaturization worked perfectly. But, as it is always the case with goblin technology, the rocket malfunctioned, and now instead of arriving on Outland, the passengers are stranded somewhere in the cosmos, reduced to a subatomic size, being exposed to the interstellar medium and who knows what else.

I don't dare to imagine the lawsuit that's coming our way."

[​IMG]

The Firefly test subjects stranded in space.

[​IMG]

Description

A team-based minigame map in which you skate through space, create elementary particles to shoot them at your opponents, and generate force fields to deflect those coming your way.

Minigames include various goals such as "Push your opponents into a black hole" or "Evade the cosmic particle shower."

Particle Party can be played 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3.

1 vs 1: Competitive and challenging.
2 vs 2: Fun and interactive.
3 vs 3: Absolute madness!

[​IMG]

Competitive, dynamic gameplay if you know what you're doing. Extremely fun, colorful chaos if you don't.

[​IMG]

Features

• One of the most powerful physics engines in Warcraft III, able to compute up to a hundred particles interacting with each other and their electric fields; an N-body simulation.
  • "Trippy" atmosphere, accentuated by the graphics and music.
  • Most well-known elementary particles: Protons, electrons, nuclei, mini black holes, lightrays etc. But the fantasy element doesn't come short either:
    The particle zoo is completed with those exclusive to Azeroth.
  • No Ph.D. in physics required. Everything is explained properly and gameplay is prioritized over scientific accuracy.
  • Custom commands for an easy control of the player's flying discs.

[​IMG]

Every particle sees every other particle and reacts to its presence instantaneously.
A monumental challenge to make work!

[​IMG]

Showcase

Watch here: A 1v1 game between two semi-compentent players.

[​IMG]

Note

• Important: Particle Party's physics engine requires a lot of computations to calculate the interactions of the particles and therefore puts a lot of strain on the processor. Unfortunately, this is inherent to this type of calculation. An up-to-date computer will throw in the towel at around 110 particles, but the number reached within a game should cap at around 70, which even weaker computers should be able to manage. If you're experiencing reduced frame rates, try to disable background programs. If you're playing on a laptop, it is crucial that you plug it into power and disable power saving mode.

Credits

Starscape: ILH
Hoverdisc models: Azure Phoenix
Astromancer model: Sellenisko
Energy Addict model: Direfury
Dreamwalker model: Nasrudin
Stripe model: Kuhneghetz
Particle powerup model: Kitabatake
Potion powerup models: Ket
HEV Tunic model: HerrDave
Crystal generator model: Tranquil
Asteroid models: Fingolfin
Arcane Vortex model: Suselishe
Black hole model: Fingolfin
Neutron nucleon model: Pyritie
Lightsail model: JetFangInferno
Celestial Shield model: EdwardSwolenToe
Mystic Nebula model: WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Hoverdisc exhaust model: Mythic
Water molecule hydrogen model: General Frank

Icons: The_Silent, Windrunner29, WILL THE ALMIGHTY, Destructor [DoR], PeeKay, GhostThruster, Static, darkdeathknight, Marenko, Hellx-Magnus, NFWar, The Panda, Darkfang, Eldin HawkWing

Music:
Unreal Soundtrack - Dusk Horizon
Unreal Soundtrack - Nightvision
Contents

Particle Party v0.80b (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
The map looks good and have some interesting mechanics, but after a short test it was clear to me at least that it needs more polishing, here are my thoughs: How to play is not really explained. While I discovered that throwing particles to others...
  1. nuck001

nuck001

Resources:
    Resources:
    OMG,such a unique map has great potential.It's a combination of WarlockBrawl and dodgeball,which requires tons of feedback from high-apm-pros.:(

There are twelve hotkeys!? Man,that was crazy,but I like it.

However,I'm a little bit disappointed to notice that some spells were too simple and similer.

2. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot! :) Yes, the map has a very high skill cap, which is something I like. But I hope that it's not frustrating to play for beginners.
    Twelve hotkeys might be too much, although you'll rarely use the movement commands. I find that I'm having problems coming up with enough unique spells for heroes if each hero has that many, so I might reduce the number of hero specific spells to 3.

Which spells do you think are too similar?

3. nuck001

nuck001

Resources:
    Resources:
    These four common spells:
    sim.jpg

In my opinion,their trajectories were too straight though their speed and effects were different from each other.

4. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, in Warm Up mode, I just wanted to introduce all the basic particles so that players can have a feeling for how they behave. To make the game mode interesting, you would probably need only the electron and the higgs boson. The other two particles don't do anything special. But they might do something special in other game modes. In Cosmic Shower, the positron can penetrate a crystal generator, while the electron cannot. But on the open field, the positron never reaches the opponent because it gets annihilated by stray electrons very quickly.

The neutrino is a bit useless, but I think that can be fixed by changing the numbers.

And I plan to add more exotic stuff in later game modes: Black holes, felectrons (electrons corrupted by fel magic :D ) etc.

5. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    -Fixed some major issues with player-player collisions.
    -Added a new hero: The Dreamwalker.

6. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i tried playing this a few days ago and it wouldn't start because some people couldn't pick a hero.

7. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I intended that every hero can be played only once, but because there are so few heroes right now, I disabled this when I increased the player amount to 6. It seems I didn't do it properly :oops:. Apologies, it should be fixed now.

8. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The map looks good and have some interesting mechanics, but after a short test it was clear to me at least that it needs more polishing, here are my thoughs:
    How to play is not really explained. While I discovered that throwing particles to others make an atom and add velocity, this is vaguely explained to say the least. Half of the time I and fellow testers didn't even knew what was going to happen to the ball.
    In football minigame after a goal the players froze and we were unable to move.

Overall the map has potential but needs more work
    Set to AWAITING UPDATE
    ======================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
    The Grand Review Exchange!

9. Alxen345

Alxen345

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Totally a cool and interactive map. :plol:

10. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks! :peasant-cheers:

11. Wlizer

Wlizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    How did you steal my map from my computer? You have only change skins but used my triggers.
    have you access to my files.

I had file which had demo of this map (on the video):
    released on my computer february 2019, how did you get that idea and file which was totally unique?

Nvm I dont think you stole it but how the hell you got the similar idea? I tought I was completely original.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  12. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I don't really understand what's going on in that video, but I do like Saltwater :plol:. The particles are shooting lightnings to build the walls?

I had the idea of making a particle physics based game for a decade or so. Tried it as a card game, that didn't work, as a board game, that didn't work either. This is my third try.

13. Wlizer

Wlizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    So weird bro, I always get overprotective if i have created something that i am proud of. Then first i dont want to see is similar map than mine, but yes i have not simulated particle physics in 2d space, only i have simulated planet movements in the past.

14. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Wiizer - it is completely possible for two people to independently come up with a similar or even the same idea. Heck, sometimes even scientists who made actual scientific discoveries run into situations where two or more teams were working on the same stuff :D

15. Wlizer

Wlizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know, some micro messages that we get from anywhere can work as inspiration for us and make us thing that we have come up with a completely unique idea. Hell even it is possible someone has readed or did same things I did to use particles on their maps with small cage, all things are possible even monitoring my pc use is possible because there is no way for me to detect if it happened or not since i have not invented windows so i have to only trust those who are in power and could actually do it without notice.

In the past it used to make me really worthless and crappy knowing that I could never come up with an original idea because i suffered from negative self image, and wanted people to notice me or my creations.

16. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you have a similar starting point (in this case a map based on particle physics), if you're competent, you're often gonna end up at a similar place at the end, because there are an infinite number of ways to do something wrong, while only a few ways to do something right.

For example, in nature, if you have two separated, but similar biotopes, the species that evolve there are often very similar, but none of the species "copied" from the other.

17. Wlizer

Wlizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    My map is not baced on particle physics. Its more like hmm object creator.