1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Paired Mapping Contest #1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Bob27, Jul 11, 2007.

1. GeEom

GeEom

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah soz oftopic but no thats not the answer, the question was should i remake the spell, or will it just look like i copyed it as i desire to achive same effect, so yes if i decide (hopefully with someones {helpfull} opinion) to just opy i would give full crediyt, but ATM its just inspiration

2. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's always better to credit someone than to not credit them at all. Even if they barely helped, it's a way to avoid arguments.

3. GeEom

GeEom

Resources:
    Resources:
    your preaching to the converted

OFC , theres no debate about that , for a start i can hardly debate thqat i imported some sounds off his map ,

to try and rephraze myself clearer

i was wonderung if i sould bother working out and triggering the effects that he has done for the points in the competition ^^ (thats why it here) or if that would look like i had just Ctrl+C ed his work and therefore i would get no points

option A , i work it out and do it myself (possibly look like Ctrl+C)
    option B , i Ctrl+C and defeat any chance of getting marks for the spell ......

4. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even if you re-did the entire spell it's still HIS SPELL. I mean if I was a judge I would not give you any points for it.

There may be a circuimstance where you create a spell and later find out that there is a very similar spell in some map or another, but that would be different.

5. Sacrimo

Sacrimo

Resources:
    Resources:
    My partner has been dead for a few days now....:(

6. Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dont tell us (unless you want to resign from the contest), but pm you partner instead.

7. Doctor-Pepper

Doctor-Pepper

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hope that no1 will recieve points based on one spell.
    And even if someone does use someone's spell, its all about how do those spells fit into the game.
    It can be Oh-Wow beautifull with 99999 special effects and originality, but if it doesnt fit the game, than whats the point of using it?

8. Arab4life

Arab4life

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Eye candy. Unfortunatly alot of people are easily distracted by flaming and shiney objects and effects, more than the plot. Some people are like children, "OH SHINEY ORB OF RAY DEATH, THIS MAP IS THE BEST"

What a world we live in.

9. Bob27

Bob27

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok well this is starting to get really off-topic. Ok if you use someone else's spell in your map or pretty much copy someone else's spell then I won't be giving any points for the spell.

Ok now everyone start posting screenshots of their maps again!

10. Jedi §layer

Jedi §layer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I, Jedi §layer and Hamster Hunter wish to join the competition. The map's name is Return to Heaven, and it is a RPG type of map.
    :spell_breaker:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  11. Arab4life

Arab4life

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ok its offical, sign me and VGRaptor as partners.

Our mapname is : Outcast: Survival of the fittest

Overview: Here is the idea so far (This is a work in progress and we havent started the map yet, because i havent discussed it into much detail with FGRaptor the idea could completly change, but this is the concept that I have so far)

I am also posting this here because i want to show FG a map overview i made, but image shack wont work so i cant PM him the map (darn it).

Storyline (Work in progress): Its the wonderful age of exploration! A ship of great explorers sets out to find the new world! Too bad columbus beat them to it, and they got no where near the "new world". They instead ran into a fierce storm, which set them horribly off course and washed them ashore a small island. Ahead of them was a much bigger island! Even from where they would look at it, its resources looked enourmous, mineral rich mountains, dense jungles full of fruit and crops. And extremly fertile soil excellent for the use of agriculture. This was a treasure! But who would claim it? Who will it be named after? These questions turned the Outcasts against each other, they paired up and decided to head out to the island each on their own... but their greed will be their purpose to fight... as they pit out against each other for domination of the island... Only one Outcast will rule..Who will it be? (actually 2, because its teams of 2, but One sounds better)

Features (Also a work in progress):

-Of course you cant fight a war alone, you need an army! No problem, there are some local natives there to drive into your war machine. Too bad not all of them are friendly, some will be easy to tame, but those are the weak. The strong are greedy, and demand something in return...

-Man power is great, but sometimes you need something more. After some exploration you will find that there are 3 Shrines in the island, many gods appeal to the natives, but these 3 seem to be the most popular. Taking control of the shrine will give you favour of the people who follow it. A Nature God, Water God, And Fire God... perhaps the gods will give you something to aid you spread their name...perhaps...but who believes in such things, you are a noble explorer... It sounds foolish...but perhaps...

-Gifts from the gods will surely aid you... but what about the gods themselves, legends speak of 3 power stones... might be an advantage if they are so sought after. Fight for possesion of all 3 stones... and then reap the rewards.

-Native spears and traps only? Surely there must be some salvage to be made from the shipwreck...

This is so far a concept that i have slightly discussed with FGRaptor, so this complete idea might change alot (To an extent). This is just a concept i have developed and thought i might share with everyone.

Attached is a quick map overview concept that i made in paint. It shows some important landmarks, and a taste of how the map might look.

Edit: there should be some green lines indicating the ruins are blocked too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  12. Doctor-Pepper

Doctor-Pepper

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol, if u have atleast half mapping talent than ur inspiration and motivation than it should be a great map

13. GeEom

GeEom

Resources:
    Resources:
    To end off topicness, the whole point is its something that fits to the extreme the style of the map, and because of my work rate i have put to find a way of aciving the basic output of the spell as one of my objectives to be done if i find time, but by chance i came across the spell i wanted anyway.

i was pondering over nwheather to just copy the spell or if i sould try and do it myself, after reading all that ^^ ive decided to just copy the spell letter for letter and give full credit to author , xx-tricky or saomeone

14. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You should know to stop when he said stop. I suggest these posts get recycled.

15. Chitzui

Chitzui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Paired Mapping Contest #1 [pOmpei2 & xChitzuix]

Hi, xChitzuix (me) and pOmpei2 are up and pwning :) (participate)

[Mapname: The Bad Way (TBW)]

16. Pompei2

Pompei2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Paired Mapping Contest #1 [xChitzuix & pOmpei2]

hi, xChitzuix and pOmpei2 (me) are up and pwning :) (participate)

[Mapname: The Bad Way (TBW)]

17. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Methinks you are the same person, just 2 different accounts, seeing as you have the same post count and both posted nearly exactly the name thing.

18. Melkor_L

Melkor_L

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi i almost finish the map, the map name is Warrior Revenge
    it is a RPG MAP. i will be in touch

19. Arab4life

Arab4life

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Its the same person, its so obvious, both their post counts are 1, and they posted the same exact thing. Wtf? Do you read each others mind.

They should be investigated before they are let in! INTERROGATE THEM!

20. Doctor-Pepper

Doctor-Pepper

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    U know, he could just copy paste his friends massage to make clear that they are a team.
    However, the weird thing is, they both has only 1 !! postcount when they joinded the contest. So they BOTH werent even members before this contest. Thats strange