1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Paired Concept Art & Short-Story Contest - WarCraft IV: Atlas of Destruction

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pharaoh_, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Things just got a whole lot more interesting.

2. Wolffman

Wolffman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The Gunmen are prepared and ready to go...

3. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hmmm this thing is.. new and interesting for a Hive contest. You have my attention C:

4. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ha, I'm flattered guys.

Suffice to say though, the feeling is mutual. It's the likes of such fine gentlemen as
    yourselves that makes me want to be part of this contest :)

-

Can't seem to find it, but I'm certain I saw a question about vulgarity, and while I agree
    that explicit sex-scenes isn't necessary for such a contest as this, I am curious as to where
    the lines are drawn in... Other regards. Such as swearing and violence. Basically, what
    kind of "rating" are we supposed to follow?

Personally, I find maturity restrictions kind of uninspiring, they limit ones creative
    freedom and kind of strangles the character development somewhat, although I do
    get it if we're going to be a bit on the... Nice side of things. I'm only curious as to
    how far I can push it, I'd like a detailed reply with as much information regarding
    what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.

Also, if it's not abundantly clear from the other thread, I'll mention it here too:

Me and Daenar7 is teaming up for this one, so beware wretches!
    - Bring them quills and brushes, this will get inky!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If I may take the liberty to answer that? :)

I've judged quite a lot contests, and during the process, exchanged countless messages with other judges and current Arena mods. There was always the strict rule of "No mature content allowed", but, it is possible to find a hole in the rule and sink your idea through it.

The contest (not only this one, but all in particular) actually do allow mature content - as long as there is a fine line which evades vulgarity and offensive content.
    If the rule was that strict, than half of the models with female characters with half of their cleavage bigger than their whole heads would be considered rude :)

And where the line is - you have to find it yourself. Every person has it's own tolerance lines where the charm or darkness gets lost, and where the story becomes over-charming or too dark. Thought this is perhaps a bit challenging to achieve, as I mentioned before, a slight dose could do more good than destruction.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it was probably my comment, which got interpreted in a very wrong way, which is mostly my fault, I should have explained. Anyway, I was trying to ask the very same question you did, what is acceptable and what not but instead I ended up looking like I wanted to write something totally inappropriate. Anyhow, thanks for asking the question Keiji-san.

7. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Somewhat of a proper response, yet, still.

My issue is this, 3500 words is a rather long and time-consuming text to be writing,
    especially when you're me, and I would hate to pour my soul and heart into such an
    undertaking only to be told afterwards "this is too vulgar, DISQUALIFIED" - See?
    So, I'm rather going to be OVER inquisitive about this. So, you gave me a pretty
    good idea about sexually fixated themes and where the line goes there, but you
    said pretty much nothing concerning gore and cursing.

Is cursing at all allowed? And what gore concerns, for being a game that includes
    monsters with their guts visibly dangling outside their bodies from a big hole in the
    stomach, I imagine violence isn't so very... Strict? >.>

8. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'll go with ESRB rating scale, just to make it somehow clearer:

This rating is based on World of Warcraft and WarCraft III (I'm using these as references, because the contest supposedly involves the continuation of WarCraft III).

A nice story doesn't have to have exaggerated use of vulgar language and gore.

No, that's a good example of legitimate use of gore.

As for the cursing, it encompasses site's rules as well. My problem is not whether you go over the line with the cursing, but whether such a hero's tale should have such elements incorporated. Saying "FU" along the dialogues undermines the whole feeling - you just modernize it a lot. You can alternatively use made up language for the curses and in a parenthesis describe their meaning, e.g. "Loei nouah" - THAT'S creative, not some replication of everyday life curses.

Minimum requirement of words changed to 2,000.

9. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now, there's a detailed and proper guideline.
    I'll keep it all in mind while racing my quill.

2000 is doable, good to know that my logic
    isn't completely invisible :)

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hail Keiji! Champion of truth & justice & quills everywhere. : )

Thanks for taking our thoughts into consideration, Pharaoh. : )

11. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awwwwh, you're making my Hulk blush!

Nobody'll mind me changing avatar for the duration of this contest? :p
    - Also, forth comes a tiny little snipped of a teaser.

Teaser
    Blood, tears and feathers. That’s all she saw. Here she lay on her own feathered bed, disgraced and imprisoned, soaked in sweat and filled with rage. The cage rattled.
    “You living, wretch?” Came a grunt. She screeched, rose and strook toward the orc, consumed by hatred, her talons tasted only wood. The orc laughed. Don’t show them weakness, don’t show them you’re hurt. She kept telling herself. The orc unsheathed his axe and strook the cage, grabbing for her neck, she’s too damaged to resist. “Soon we’ll rip that feathered coat straight from your bare skin, witch. And then we’ll roast that frail body of yours and have a glorious feast!” He snarled. Letting go and letting her resume her incessant shrieking.

12. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can always make polite characters that swear like "Sweet potions of mana" or "For the sake of Ashenvale trees", or avoid swearing by adding superb polite words in common swear phrases in a way that everyone can tell what you mean, such as in "You little sack of garbage" or "Why don't you go stab yourself".

Though I prefer to use emotions and:
    "I will never marry that... that... monstrosity!" - she shouted angrily, her eyes wide open and frozen still"
    types of speech rather than
    "You want me to marry that little dwarven shit?! - she said"

Swearing can help, but there are more beautiful and effective ways to show off the emotions :)

On a side note, sexuality doesn't need to be in a form of pure sexual scenes, if you feel that it's what you need to tell your story. It can be, well, mature-less but still quite mature. Sexual feeling, if we're talking about dark, can be achieved by losing focus on every details and centering stories on sharp fragments of it, while still retaining the original idea, such as in this example:

"The death cold hands locking hers on the silk
    The feeling of freedom. The evergreen pastures of the Shellani forests. The song of the birds.
    The warm alcoholic breath on her chest
    The smell of bread waking you up in the morning. The smiles on her father's face when she does something before he asks her to. The wings she could feel when alone.
    The sharp intervals of new pain and feeling of numbness she prayed for
    The freedom. The skies. The death.

(Though I can thank a lot to contrast I've used to whip readers back and forth, I hope you got what I was trying to tell you) :)

13. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You could also make up your own swares which need not be comprised of actual words but still be understood as a form of cursing while also being milder. I've seen some authors do it though it really depends on the words you make up and how you use them since some of what I've seen has just felt out of place whereas others fit the scene perfectly.

As for me, cursing is something I'll be taking most of my swears from here (now that I think about it, I've already revelead what my story's going to be about ^^). If anyone feels like it, they can check if the words in there are all acceptable. Personally, I haven't come across anythign too vulgar but I haven't searched everything so yeah.

14. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    While I mostly agree, I do beg to differ in some ways. Relying on age/environment
    proper terms (cursing) goes to add realism. In order to make a rough character believable
    you'd need a rough language to rely on, preference aside.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed response, although Pharaoh's reply was more than
    sufficient. I don't think there'll be any more doubts on the notion of what's acceptable
    and what's not ^^

15. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just wanted to clarify and sum everything up. You're most welcome :)

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Meh, cursing's not really my thing (IRL or in print), but I recognize it's validity, so I prefer the don_svetlio-/Brandon Sanderson-/Robert Jordan-school of thought, where a created world has it's own 'created cursing', if you will, indicative of the world's nature or whatever. "Light burn you" for Wheel of Time (among dozens of others, lawl), "Storming" for Way of Kings, "Rust & Ruin" for Mistborn (AoL)... Etc.

17. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    A few questions: The character is for the Warcraft Universe, not World of Bullshit one right? So Horde and Alliance do not exist, gnomes and pandarens are very rare, etc. etc. Also, if this is a character for Warcraft IV does that mean it's right after Warcraft III or "10 years later" like in WoW?

18. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's for WarCraft universe, yes. The events should take place after WarCraft III, but you have no timeline constraints. It can be a day later, a decade later or a thousand years later (something that Metzen really likes to use - so do I :3).

19. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh that's cool. No WoW sounds good ^^

20. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Chriz Metzen wrote most of the stories up to and Warcraft 3 right? I'm not sure if he worked on WoW but I'm sure he doesn't have direct control over stories at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.