• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pack Upload Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to upload a pack, but there is no option for the actual file the pack will use in the upload section.
hdzXAuT.jpg

I think this is a problem that needs fixing.

I really like the current way that packs are handled, it's more controlled in my opinion...

Also, it's easier to use since the resources are already here, and you just select the ones you like to add, instead of finding the files on your comp and bundling them together... and less work for the mods too since the resources included are (ideally) already moderated...

But can you add a filter such that we cannot really add rejected or pending resources to the packs, since the mods won't approve a pack with non-accepted resource anyway...

Or maybe, we can have both options (the current one and the upload a .zip option)

A pack in a zipped folder is difficult to moderate since a moderator will unzip the folder to look into whatever files are there trying to check everything if each is worth approving before the whole pack in the zipped folder submitted by a user gets moderated. Too, much work for a moderator I guess. More so if the pack, in this type, has many resources inside it. Well, maybe if the file size is restricted.

A pack in a zipped folder is difficult to moderate since a moderator will unzip the folder to look into whatever files are there trying to check everything if each is worth approving before the whole pack in the zipped folder submitted by a user gets moderated. Too, much work for a moderator I guess. More so if the pack, in this type, has many resources inside it. Well, maybe if the file size is restricted.

Do you think moderating stuff here is any different?
You get a zip file, download it, import its content and test it in-game.

I also think it will entail more work when a certain part of the pack is unacceptable, the user will need to remove the file manually, recreate the zip file, and upload. The same goes with adding new things to the pack...

While with the current set-up, you can easily add/remove files via button clicks in the update/manage page...

I also think it will entail more work when a certain part of the pack is unacceptable, the user will need to remove the file manually, recreate the zip file, and upload. The same goes with adding new things to the pack...

While with the current set-up, you can easily add/remove files via button clicks in the update/manage page...

I completely agree with you on that subject. But this applies for the current system.
However if the new system is going to be used there is not a difference in effort for moderators. They have to validate and test resources never the less.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Well. My concern is not about the weight on the shoulders of moderators. More about the implementation details. I would like this pack system to when unzipped actually add the resources to the appropriate sections. This would allow for easier browsing of packs.

Unzipping is not really an argument against packs. Models and icons are already zip files, a pack would be only one. If you downloaded 5 icons/models, you had to unzip 5 times, but if you download a pack, it would be only one.

OK, here's what I am thinking of for now. What about if while the user is uploading his stuff, he can choose any file type restricted to those used for warcraft 3,eg., blp and mdx file types. He must not be restricted to the number of files he will include in his pack. All of these stuff then, when uploaded, should all be placed in a zipped file or whatever to be downloaded as one pack.

EDIT:
Also, the individual files could be downloadable as it is.

OK, here's what I am thinking of for now. What about if while the user is uploading his stuff, he can choose any file type restricted to those used for warcraft 3,eg., blp and mdx file types. He must not be restricted to the number of files he will include in his pack. All of these stuff then, when uploaded, should all be placed in a zipped file or whatever to be downloaded as one pack.

EDIT:
Also, the individual files could be downloadable as it is.

Then we just stick to the current system.

My goal with this feature would be to make it easier for users with a huge resource pack to upload it without spending hours clicking at buttons.

That would be pretty easy to do I guess with the current system.
You just need to rearrange the items in the screen of the packs, make a few like this one and just make an overlay over each entry. If you click an entry the overlay for that specific entry will change according to what the user want (either to implement it into the pack or not). The currents list is way too long and irritating if you have more than 150 entries to go through.

Level 17
Sorry for bumping this, I have an issue with packs as well. I understand how packs work and I understand they are fairly convenient when you have uploaded all your resources already.
But what if you haven't ? I want to upload a moderately sized pack (20~30 models, maybe more) they reuse the textures so it would be a chore to upload each of them over and over again, not only that it would also be a chore for the mods to review each and every model.
That wouldn't be the core problem, the core problem would be the fact that I do not wish for the assets to be downloaded separately because the "pack" is not so much a pack as it is a modular model and thus uploading only parts of it would make no sense as they are not intended to be used standalone and as a result of such may end up rejected.
Is there any way to do this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.