1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Overpopulation.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheDivineBoss, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Mulgrim

Mulgrim

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    actually i read somewhere they're already working on that, something about planting plants for oxygen, things like that.

2. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe they are thinking about it but making a whole world breathable and such by using plants woud take a coupe hundred years from where we are because quite frankly terraforming worlds is not easy business.

3. Emperor_Jackal

Emperor_Jackal

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wikipedia has a few pretty graphs illustrating under/overpopulation

[​IMG]

Red is declining population, pink is heading towards declining population.

[​IMG]

Population density per square kilometre.

Notice something? Russia, which covers 1/8th of the world has a tiny population density (8.3/km2) and that is decreasing. Other huge countries such as Canada and Australia also have plenty of room. Looks like if you're worrying about having to live in a tall skyscraper surrounded by tall skyscrapers, you've got plenty of places you can emigrate to.

Yes, there are 3rd world countries (notably Ethiopia, Nigeria and Bangladesh) that are screwing themselves over by having such a high population and growth while not being able to compensate for that. These high populations and growth mean that the standards of living for the average joe will not get any better; possibly worse.

Just hope to god that with a decent economy, condoms and 99-100% school attendance through to 15-16 that every country will turn out like Western Europe and stagnate when the population reaches it's ideal limit.

4. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Right, because northern Canada, Siberia and the deserts of Australia are so habitable.

5. Wraithling

Wraithling

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting points, Emperor_Jackal. However I must bring to surface two important facts that were neglected.

1. The problem lies not within population density but population growth. Examples will be on graphs [a] & .

2. 'Enough-space-for-living' is the prime concern of developed metropolitans yes, but for the rest of the world, food source is the prime concern. Example on graph [c]

Graph [a] [​IMG]

In your 2nd graph, it shows population density, which seemed to be at a healthy level at first glance. However in graph [a] here, it shows the greater concern- the enormous boom of population never seen before in history, occurring sometime after WWII, during the 1950s. It shows that in year 2000 alone, the population worldwide is double that of 1950. What is of major concern is that this trend seem to be continuing, meaning 50 years from now, population will be doubled once again. This means a world population growth will quadruple in a short span of 100 years. This can be better demonstrated in graph .

Graph [b ] [​IMG]

This is a speculative graph showing what would be the most probable case scenario for population growth in the future. It shows that world population will keep growing at the same 'booming' trend after WWII for another 150 years to come should drastic measures not be taken. I saw an argument about population stagnating and stabilizing eventually. But when? Not 150 years from now. Although population growth will slow down by year 2150, it is will still be growing. Finally I would like to bring you to graph [c] for a quick breakdown of growth by country.

Graph [c] [​IMG]

This graph shows which country is having an increase of population. Apart from Russia and the rest of Europe (black-coloured), the rest of the world's population is increasing anually by x1.5 to more than x3. Here comes the argument of food source. If one would take the average of x2.5 growth per year, then let us ask- are our food supplies increasing by the same rate? Are the number of farms worldwide being increased by 2.5 times each year, or the number of livestock worldwide being bred at an increase of 2.5 times annually? What would happen if there is not enough food? That would be going off-topic if discussed here.

So I think that the current population growth should be a concern, and its something that falls onto our generation's laps to tackle.

6. fotie

fotie

Resources:
    Resources:
    hindyhat and vampiro are some funny guysxD Wraithling your 100% right. Old generations screwed us over with gas being the #1 natural resource, which we are now staring to tackle. Next generations will have to tackle population.

7. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The thing I've always despised about "ZOMG! The earth is SO freakin Overpopulated!" arguments...and those who like to say: "We totally need to do something about overpopulation...seriously..."

I often simply want to say to those people:

"here is a thought...remove your sex organs, live a life of complete serfdom like conditions, no electricity, and everything is biodegradable, and then...subject yourself to the act of self relief from life. Then you will briefly solve the issue of overpopulation..."

But alas...That taking care of over population by human hands does the following:

"Kills gene pool variety, stagnates the gene pool, causes human interference, and therefore human mentality: Selfish Genocide."

If the world reaches over capacity, the world will take care of itself.

The Earth doesn't come up with diseases for nothing...And mankind kills itself when it becomes too crowded, when branches become 'too full' they are pruned...

8. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    A volcano erupting pollutes more than we do. I doubt a disease will kill enough of the population to stop overpopulation. Aids isn't working well enough (must target more black people...).

9. maskedpoptart

maskedpoptart

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Elenai, that is an interesting argument. However, overpopulation also kills the gene pool variety of animals and plants. As we destroy more and more habitats, we cause species to go extinct. Eventually, we will run out of food (both plants and animals) and resources, causing our human population to decrease to an amount that the earth can actually sustain. That would be fine if it were not for the extinct species and exhausted resources that will take hundreds of thousands of years to reform. Sure, the Earth will recover eventually, but we'll screw over the near future of humanity if we don't learn to live in harmony with the land rather than exploit it.

10. Mcasdf

Mcasdf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then it means humans are a superior race.

11. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As seen in a previous post, not yet, for most of the world. As seen in highly populated areas, it begins to work itself out partially. Like Elenai said, it fixes itself. If there isn't enough food or space to go around, people notice and do something about it.
    Less pollution.
    Per capita? This is a very localized thing. Obviously, if you have more people, you have more criminals.
    Really? I've never heard of this. Is it bad? Should we do something about it? I live under a rock and don't know of these things that everybody knows about.
    Not global. Food issues are local to certain places. Needless to say by our increasing population, there is not a food shortage in most places.
    I blame the internet.
    Source please. To me it looks like there have been far more wars over non-religious matters. Viruses still have us beat when it comes to killing us.

By this topic of the thread, do you then encourage the use of religion under the guise that it can fight overpopulation?
    Then the problem is for the future. Let's use your statistic and say we'll have 13.4 billions people in 50 years. Given that most places have room for two or three or four extra people, we wont have maxed out living space by then. That's half a century. This is not a problem that this generation has to solve. We should prepare for it anyway.
    Yes. The real question is when this will become a real tangible problem that we can solve. Right now there isn't much of a problem to solve.
    Yes.
    People would start making more. That, or die. Which will you choose? :D
    By total volume, yes. But we pollute much different material than a volcano does. Our pollution may be of much greater potency.
    That depends entirely on the density of the population. A denser population infects more people.
    In reference to those species that are overpopulated, yes.
    Though not a cause of human overpopulation, this is true. This is what it comes down to. We need to live in a way such that all resources grow in proportion to population. We need to make living modular.

12. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    We do not mate with animals, their gene pool is completely irrelevant to ours.

In the case of overpopulation and animals, if, and any, gene pool degradation that comes from that issue in an animal population, is usually taken care of simply by their nature, and nature itself.

Animals, and humans still compete for mates. When pressed to the extreme, only the fittest mates will survive, or produce. Even in human populations.

And then you have the four horsemen effect already at work...War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death, cleverly taking care of overpopulation.

13. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Overpopulation? WW3'em!

"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
    - Joseph Stalin

14. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think he was attempting to be humorous but I think the point hes trying to get out is that mass murdering millions of people can bring down the pop but it is not efficient and most likely would start another war.

15. Wraithling

Wraithling

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I'm going off-topic here, but those who're praying for a mass war/genocide to break out, or who rejoices at any outbreak of disease all in the name of bringing down the human population, should have their alignment shifted to chaotic evil.

16. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I think we should shift back on topic here before this turns into a flame/troll thread. I have a question regarding overpopulation.

We have a whole continent that barely anybody lives on (Antartica) And I am sure we could make suitable environments there. We could try and figure out plans for populations shifting to the south.

17. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If it really were that simple, people would be living in northern Canada, for example. But they don't, because it's a terrible idea, and there's no real attraction there, much less in friggin' Antarctica.

18. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh believe me when push comes to shove and we really start to get over populated there will be ALOT of desperate people looking for places to live and call their own. Soon enough maybe not in our life time people will start to move further North and South.

19. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    Too bad.
    Healthcare (As I see it) will become so advanced (Not in my time of course) that people will just stop dying. Only killing, but not natural death (And crime will more likely drop too.) Of course, you all have opinions.
    In MY time, yes, the world will be over populated. That's why we move to the moon.

20. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nah, antardida is too could. Nobody could ever take a normal live there. Seriously.
    Also, since you cant cultivate anything there, the local people way of life would be too expensive because they woud have to import 100% of everything they consume.

Lets just wait for WW3. After it endz, who survive will know it wasnt all that bad.