• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Over the Hills Episode 1

210613-albums6110-picture65434.png

Map Info

Firs I would like to make some things clear!
My current life style doesn't permit me much free time. I am now a family man and have decided to quit modding for good, so this will be my last and final project ("the final chapter", "the final answer" to my love, a true art form of my heart). This means I won`t do any more Requests! I might also upload all my resources on this site, give away all my maps which are “collecting dust” like ASIAN GARDEN, etc…, I will grant permission to any hiver to take over my projects but I won't promis anything. Also I salute every person I collaborated with for the last time, IT WAS A PLEASURE!
I may do some terrains from time to time but afterwards I`m Gone for good!

" To all the people reading this. Live your lives from the heart, be the maximum of all you can be!"
" On this project I promise you my best efforts!"

Map also contains this information.

--- THE STORY ---

"This is the first episode of what I hope will be a short cinematic series made in Warcraft III.
My very first Cinematic."

* I hope this story will shine in
* your hearts, in this moment in
* time. It`s a reflection of my
* innermost feelings, the interior
* of my struggles and desires
* and also of the innermost
* chambers of my darkness.

"The inspirations came when I first spotted a cinematic music viedo on The Hive Workshop called "The Night Wish" by
"DST", then it hit me, the inspirations to make one also."

--- THE MAP ---

"Contains HQ models and textures, some made by me for example: some doodads, rocks, terrains (mountains, etc), efex,
scene montages, backgrounds, houses and other objects made in 3ds MAX5; wow or wc3 models with enhanced
textures; modified or enhanced wow textures, textures made entirely by me or textures form free texture sites (you can
finde this textures on any free texture site out ther) and also some free model trees.
I would appreciate it if the moderators could just accept the whole map as a full approved model library if not I encourage
any hiver out there to submitt the models for me but just remember to give me credits for them, that`s all!
The skins for the main character (villager model), the bad guy (villager model), the female (villager mode - red dressl) are
all my personal creation.
The trigger... are, just the usual "vegetables". OK, I have no Jass knowledge whatsoever!
That aside I think I will try learning Jass and use some cool systems so expect to see characters jumping over
mountains or destroying walls and some never before seen fighting scenes in the second episode.
The cameras are regular native cams with simple linear motion however, this will change from the nex episode."

--- THE BUGS ---

"Here is a list of bugs you might experience:"
*1 Buggy scene transmissions. "(this is caused because of wc3`s slow response, could have fixed this butI won't bother!
Don't hate me!)
Ps - Just let me make the next episode better!"
*2 Trees appear in the background (sky). "(No excuse here!)"
*3 Buggy sky.
*4 Characters do what they want. "(Units might wake up from the dead or go to random positions. Believe it or not this is caused
by the" -'wait'- "action", "can't do anything about it!)"
*5 [*] 'THE MOST SINFUL BUG OF ALL' [*]
The camera sways differently on a different resolution. "(I did not realize the camera sway is not fixe on a point and I am to
stupid to fix this, or is wc3 stupid?!
* I recommend you watch on 1024 x 768 x 32 screen resolution!!!*"

--- THE TEAM ---

"I am working solo!"

--- THE SIGNATURE ---

"Instead of protecting the map, which is going to get RAPED anyhoo- lol, I decided to make a signature which is actually a random
picture containing random objects, rescaled to a smaller resolution. In case someone suddenly feels like it`s trolling time and
wants to pretend it`s his/hers "creation", then comes in the signature which only I have in full resolution.
Besides, I`m generous enough to leave it exposed for you."
Enjoy@!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video

Warning spoilers!

Keywords:
Nightwish Over the Hills wc3 warcraft Cinematic
Contents

Over the Hills Episode 1 (Map)

Reviews
11:08, 6th Mar 2013 Orcnet: THIS CINEMATIC IS IN TOTAL AWESOMENESS! ALTHOUGH IT LOOKS LIKE A TRAILER OF A BAD-ASS GUN ERA, BUT SINCE THIS IS A FAREWELL OF YOUR BEST RESOURCE, I GRANTED THIS AS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED CINEMATIC (:
Level 16
Yeah, I noticed as soon as I implemented bump that the characters were becoming really insignificant visually compared to the environment. I tried adding bump to them but it just ended up looking awful because of the low quality the models are. It crossed my mind to change the models to more hq ones but I already made independent animations some which are incorporated in the actual scenes with physics. And I don't really want to change the characters, also want to maintain a slight cartoonish look regardless of some HQ environments. I at least changed their skins to more hq ones and the fighting scenes will compensate for the low quality units. Speaking of fighting scenes there's going to be one with some blood spill!

Level 16
Nope, they are in game! They are going to be moving with the camera. It's nothing out of the ordinary, I photoshop a screenshot with effects to make sure it looks good then I added it to advanced filter. Actually made them with a filter but I'm having problems with the filter unit. The only thing that's fake is the depth of field which is photoshoped. Of course the ENB was somewhat similar but the photoshop looked better so I posted this one. It also works without ENB but only on still images.

Now about that thread, I'M STILL WRITING IT! Aside from being occupied with myself spreading everywhere on this site like a crazy man ignoring my main project I'm having real life busyness again so I think I'll take my time to write the thread. It is full of content and I want to post it all at once.

Dude, the macro scenes are mind blowing.
I don't really know, I'm having mixed feelings about this episode I might of concentrated too much on the visual aspect and left some plot holes (is not even a word to describe it), parts that don't make any sense. After actually watching it a few times I am thinking that some people might not like it, and I changed the story and style drastically in to something else, almost like a bad anime soap opera. Maybe I'll focus more on the story in ep3!

Level 16
Because I really haven't had enough time to do anything I'll leave you with 2 more pics. How the prison is lighted after the escape (doesn't look too good in game and the bump will make it seem much darker) and a render of the police meeting room which sadly is going to only a few seconds scene.

Rooms
210613-albums6274-picture76469.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76471.jpg

Level 16
The room won't be empty like that, it will be filed with police officers actively doing their jobs.
Remember the blood elf from the first episode?! He's the police commander and will be a important character in this episode. Although he won't be doing much, his role will be of even greater importance in the third one, there is also a picture of him on the wall.
The wolf guy will also make an appearance, he's a mercenary hired by the commander to catch our protagonist, there will be a bloody battle going on between him and the main character.
It's to bad that I had to make the whole police room scene just a couple of seconds. I couldn't find any particular place in the time frame for that scene, I wish I did but that would mean changing the whole cinematic and the music altogether, impossible. Generally people could of made a entire cinematic with only that room. At least the commander manages to walk inside and start giving orders to his policemen!

Picture of the Commander
210613-albums6274-picture76488.bmp

It turned out somewhat comical, don't take this cinematic too seriously even if It has a somewhat serious storyline!

Last edited:
Level 31
High quality cinematic indeed.

Great job on the modding part as well as environment art, but it felt more like a showcase of terrain rather than a cinematic itself with a certain story to follow. Not saying there was no story, but the center seemed to be terrain rather than actions in that environment. Also why so much time was given for displaying the night time?

Camera work at some points was kind of annoying for me, because many times camera goes inside 3D objects and sometimes beneath the ground texture, it could be adjusted and avoided.

Giving it 4/5 just because of camera going through objects even though it deserves 5/5.