• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Out of Boundary tool and Blink like spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ok so i've decided to implement a blink 'like' spell into my campaign, which i feel is a good addition to the hero but I was hesitant for a long time because i'm worried about people using it to get onto walls/cliffs, behind trees etc. The normal blink doesn't let you select places you haven't explored or are already out of bounds. However the spell I have does, but I used conditions such as

• If - Conditions
    • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
      • Conditions
        • (WarpPoint is fogged for (Owner of WarpCaster)) Equal to True
        • (WarpPoint is masked for (Owner of WarpCaster)) Equal to True
Which works, but i've realised you can still use it to 'climb up' walls if you use it just right, I thought of using the "Out of bounds' tool to mark all the cliffs and areas that you're not meant to get onto, and tried it on a small area, you can still actually get up onto it, it just pretty much immobilizes the character, but he can still move if you keep using it everytime the cd is done. I haven't been able to find a trigger that detects out of boundary areas and also it's kinda a time consuming method, having to go through multiple maps marking a lot of area with the tool. Is there any other alternative to stop this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Just do not permit the ability on points which have a higher terrain height than where the casting unit is. This will prevent blinking up ramps though.

You should also check if the blink point is pathable, and if not cancle the blink. This will allow you to blink into buildings but would stop you blinking into the edges of cliffs, off the map, into water or into doodads. You could still blink into trees though.

Level 6
Just do not permit the ability on points which have a higher terrain height than where the casting unit is. This will prevent blinking up ramps though.

You should also check if the blink point is pathable, and if not cancle the blink. This will allow you to blink into buildings but would stop you blinking into the edges of cliffs, off the map, into water or into doodads. You could still blink into trees though.

Sorry for the late reply. Could you give me an example of how I might do this? Not sure about how to check if the point has higher terrain height. Is it also possible to specify how high I want to restrict? Like if the cliff was only one terrain level higher, could the blink still be used there but then if it was any higher than that no?

Edit: I worked it out, thanks for your help Dr.Super Good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.