1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[ORPG] Starcraft Universe

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Modding' started by Mille25, May 5, 2010.

1. CloudMax

CloudMax

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you have played wow since its beta release like i have, you will know for a fact that they make very small improvements on the graphics for every expansion that comes. If you did not notice it, you probably didnt play WotLK enough, or maybe didnt play it at all.
    If you look at the difference of the original areas and then take a look on the terrain and texture in northrend you will see differences on the techniques they used, and the details. The details on the northrend terrain and textures is a lot better then initial release. And in Cataclysm they will retexture alot to have the same quality as northrend. Aswell as fact that the water looks alot better then before. If you do not agree, tell me in visitor comments or something, i do not wanna ruin this thread by talking about wow graphics :p

2. cubanbkidd

cubanbkidd

Resources:
    Resources:
    haha what you have no SC2 expierence and you can do all that with the GUI and bank system, howd u learn so fast? im making really slow progress, i have NO idea how to make a custom UI, or how to use the dialog boxes o_O please help? or at least point me in the right direction

3. .Forsaken

.Forsaken

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've got a feeling Mille's got experience with the WC3 editor :p - which helps a whole lot.

4. CloudMax

CloudMax

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Check the tutorial section. I have a guide for how creating health bar dialogs.
    If you have wc3 experience of the editor, you should understand it, and it explains how to create dialogs (custom ui)

5. morguhl

morguhl

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hi guy i also was thinking about a game like this but then i saw this one and i decided that its better xD but what i still want to know is : are you thinking about realeasing an demo version or so (maybe protected if possible that you mustnt fear about innofical versions) in the beta (maybe with the new patch?) would be great to test your map ^^

6. CloudMax

CloudMax

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is possible to remove everything in the trigger editor, but still have the triggers in the map.
    This would make it impossible for "noobs" to steal stuff from him.

With this i mean that you can take the maps script, copy it, delete all triggers, and then paste back the script with help of MPQ editors, etc. That way the triggers wont exist in the GUI editor. And i am sure that there is ways to make the map "corrupt" and make it so that you cant open the map in the editor but still be able to play it.

7. mjllonir

mjllonir

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    LGTH is right on that one. I made my triggers unreadable. I think I'll post a tut but I figure that everybody should already know how...no?

8. Mille25

Mille25

Resources:
    Resources:
    Update 18.5.2010

Save-System needs to be redone...

hi guys
    i think after some days its time to inform you how it goes.

at the moment there are a bit less updates, because i didnt have that much time and i have to rewrite the entire save and load system, because of some limitations blizzard decided to make in multiplayer. in fact, i have to rewrite it all to savecodes, but i have no experience with this yet so i need some time to get into it.

my aims are:

• all characters and game settings in one bank file
    • settings get saved for all chars, not individual, because it makes no sense imo (this works already, but not with the new system)
    • more security
    • smaller bank file

i will inform you from time to time how it runs, its a quite difficult process.

the most questions in this thread were already answered by other users, but some remain:

a demo version is planned, maybe with only one class and one starting zone, but i cant tell you more details, because the game is very far away from being ready to be played.

as far as i know blizzard plans some map protection by default, we will see how save this will be.

PS: i got a lot of pms from some guys asking me about UI and how i did it, please take some time and read some guides. its really not that complex and i dont want to answer the same again and again. if you got specific questions you can for sure ask me via pm or here in this thread. thanks :)

PPS: i already did a multiplayer test with some mapper a week ago, but i dont know if this is allowed yet so i cant post any more about this right now. but i can tell you it worked all very well, the systems seemed to be quite bugless so far.

greez
    mille25

9. Mille25

Mille25

Resources:
    Resources:
    Update 22.5.2010

Big update: Working attributes, talents and xp bar

after some time here is some big update today!
    besides the bigger changes listed below, you might also notice some details like a working combat text and a new hero-statusbar. both is not final yet and not perfectly working.

1) Attributes

PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING OF THIS IS FINAL OR BALANCED. THIS IS ONLY ONE STEP CLOSER TO A FINAL RPG AND THE ATTRIBUTE SYSTEM!

• Strength: Each point increases damage done with melee and ranged attacks by 1.
      [*]Stamina: Each point increases maximum shields and energy by 5 and live by 10. Addicionally each point increases armor by 1%.
      [*]Intelligence: Each point increases damage done with spells and ranged attacks by 1.
      [*]Speed: Each point increases attack- and movementspeed by 1%. Addicionally each point increases all regeneration rates by 1%.

Each class will have different starting attributes and a different attribute increasement each level. Addicionally each race will have a special attribute boost, for example zerg could have 5 more stamina then the other races, while terran could have 5 more speed.

Note: all attributes listed here already work ingame for every class and race, only the increasement and starting amount is NYI.

2) Talents

PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING OF THIS IS FINAL. THIS IS ONLY ONE STEP CLOSER TO A FINAL RPG AND THE TALENT SYSTEM!

When your character gains a level, he will get 2 attribute-points and 1 talent-point.
    If you press "T" the talent window will open, in witch you can spend your points.

• Attribute-Points: This points can be used to increase one of the four main stats (speed, stamina, ...). Because every player might focus different attributes, each character might be individual.
    • Talent-Points: This points can be used to improve spells or learn new ones (talents). Watch the video to see how the talents work and how the rows get activated if you spend enaugh points.

With the talent system i try to make every character individual and different then others. For example you will only get 20 talent points or so, while you can spend up to 30 so you will have to decide what talents you want to leave out on the way to your ultimate.

3) XP-Bar

even if the xp bar is just one part of the ui i think its quite cool and important to show you how it works and tell you some details.

if you look at the standart xp bar of sc2 you will notice that it doesnt reset the xp to 0 if you get a level up. it always shows totalxp/maxxp. but i wanted to see how much xp the level itself needs to be completed and how much my hero has from this, so my xp bar resets on every lvl to 0. so my xp bar works a bit different from the normal one but i think it makes more sense. :)

4) Video, as always :p

Please watch 480p + fullscreen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YhoDzTtT0

Attached Files:

10. elfian

elfian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Um... later on, the ghost won't acquire and attack enemies by himself right? Cos' I think it would be much better if the player controls these things o_O

11. xXm0RpH3usXx

xXm0RpH3usXx

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i cant really say much about it, as i dont have any clue of how advanced or how difficult this is...
    looks good! i think this is wow stylez, is it? ( i dont know, i never played it but think it was similar?) i might be wrong, so plz dont take offense :p

So now after this jibberish something important:
    http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/

its a free screen capture program (as long as its not used commercially and this isnt, is it?)
    maybe u would like to try this one out to get rid of the fraps banner!

12. Mille25

Mille25

Resources:
    Resources:
    the combat system isnt implemented yet, i dont exactly know how it will look like later.

@xXm0RpH3usXx:

thx for the link.
    i record with fraps cause i think it has better quality then the desktop recording programs. (in my other videos i used camstudio alot)

greez

13. Mille25

Mille25

Resources:
    Resources:
    Update 25.5.2010

New concept --> Classes removed!

hi guys
    a few days ago i had a quite cool idea.
    why should there be any classes? why dont give every player all possibilities?

so i decided to REMOVE all classes from the game and start a new concept.
    from now on, you can only choose your race when you create a character (zerg, protoss or terran). after that you can directly log in. after you logged in you will get your first spell point. this spell points can be used to learn a new spell. you get 1 spellpoint in ~ 3 levels and you can learn up to 6 (maybe 7) spells and choose from 24.

there will be three spell categories:

• offensive
    • defensive
    • support

with this new concept together with talents and attribute points i try to make it possible that EVERY character is unique in SU. For example you could play a damage dealer that can heal a teammate sometimes. or play a tank that can also do damage. you will also be able to unlearn spells and talents and try a different spec.

so overall there will be four ways to customize your character
    • race (every race has a special racial ability and has other starting attributes)
    • learn new spells (spell points, 1 point all ~3 lvls)
    • improve spells/other things with talents (talent points, 1 point each lvl)
    • improve attributes (attribute points, 2 points each lvl)

because of this new changes i reworked the ui a bit.

i hope you like the new concept! i would really like to hear some feedback from you! :)

some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greez
    mille25

Attached Files:

14. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I still think that this is by far the most promising project that is currently being developed. However, I can't say that I am happy about the changes to the gameplay you are planning to make:

First: I like the idea of not having classes. Go on with that! But: There should be more "trees" than just offensive, defensive and support. There should be at least 2-3 different schools of "magic", 1-2 different melee trees and at least one tank tree.
    If you want to keep your 3-tree system, then at least make sure you can diversify your character enough and have lots of prerequisites, or you will end up in balance-hell!

Also, remember to give your items stat requisites and level requisites, to prevent "casters" to take heavy armor, etc..
    Also, I recommend making spells buyable, not learnable and make only talents learnable via level up. That way, you have a leveling money sink, which is very important for gameplay and can make some additional raredrop-spells.

Another suggestion: I feel like Zerg is not a suitable race for a RPG, both lore-wise (being a swarm intelligence and all) and gameplay-wise. What will be the enemies if Zerg are a playable race?

I suggest the following races:
    - Ordinary Humans
    - Psi-connected (basicly the Ghost race)
    - Ordinary Protoss
    - Dark Templars (Being outlaws and all, it would fit making them a separate race)
    - Protoss-Zerg-Hybrids (ref. sc1 campaign)

15. B_Light

B_Light

Resources:
    Resources:
    thats a nice idea but i want to know : depend on what skill i have chose, will the model of my unit change?

16. Mille25

Mille25

Resources:
    Resources:
    very nice feedback zwiebel, thats exactly what brings me forward!

at the moments there are no plans to change the model of your character.
    you must always keep in mind that you can mix the spells like you want to, so i dont see a sense in special "caster" or "melee" models.

greez
    mille25

17. xXm0RpH3usXx

xXm0RpH3usXx

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    dont be too picky with the word magic...
    its put into "" on purpose i think, which means he doesnt mean magic in particular, but magic in genereal (which could be seen as talent or anything that is somehow equivalent)

18. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Psionic Storm seems to be pretty magical to me.

19. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This.

And about the missing requirements for items and spells: I can just tell you that this will seriously mess up your balancing. People will sooner or later develope weird class mixes that are simply overpowered compared to the classic rpg roles.

For example: I equip my character that is specced entirely on healing with the best armor ingame. I can now both tank and heal and might even be able to generate more aggro than any real "tank" because of heal-aggro (at least if you are going to implement the concept of threat to your map, which I really recommend you to).

Never give the players ultimate freedom. To much freedom always ends up with having no freedom at all, as there will be "roxxor builds" sooner or later. Classic RPG roles are vital for ORPG gameplay. At least if you do not intend to make this game a hack&slash dungeon crawler.

20. CloudMax

CloudMax

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Obviously there will be one way to abuse the fact that you can customize this much.
    This is probably the very reason to why all classes cant do everything.
    Just take like every single RPG as an example, casters just does not use heavy armors, and it is pretty much the same with all range classes. This is for balancing most of the times.

There will always be a combination that beats everything else by far if you can customize all you want, it is sad but true. I do like the idea of customization and all, but i do not think it would work out : /