• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Operating System Debate

Which OS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ahhh, you were confused because:
1) New things confuse us all. Like playing Halo 3 (yeh...I have an Xbox 360, from Microsoft, creators of Windows, but its fucking awesome...) on a HD widescreen TV.
There are many negatives cause:
2) Hmm...I'm doing it more like a comparison. But anyway, no one has enough mixed experience on both PC and Mac as I do (maybe PurplePoot), so really, I know more then.
Bias:
3) Bias means you favor yourself. I am not an operating system which is one entity.
Linux:
4) Yeah, Linux is like a beta-beta, and probably 0.5% of users around here use Linux...
3) Bias means you favor yourself. I am not an operating system which is one entity.
Before you just did, mostly favoring Mac in prejudice in Windows being the negatives. Since you changed it though, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Overall, I'll be honest - this wasn't much of debate except of posts full of irrelevance and I would have canceled out. It doesn't seem any good but just anger, and a debate is neutral anyway.

Level 9
Everyone has an opinion, but it doesn't justify making posts that are either irrelevant or just wrong, nor does it justify "buy a mac nub" in other threads that even have less to do with it.
Totally makes sense, it should be given in factual form, not in personalized sentences. It would have been great if it had been justified more properly in the first place.

Level 34
I'd also like to note that Elendor was not flaming, but criticising ricardo's posts. Perhaps a bit aggressively, but it was never aimed at ricardo.

Level 9
Good words from the defender of America! Captain America! Also, off-topic champion, and liar (once). Of course a flame war is heading this way...close it now, actually.

V.I

V.I

Level 5
À l'effet contraire, I have used Mac, Linux and Windows, and I've found Linux by far the easiest of them all to get into. From all your pros and cons stated, the majority are just opinions. Linux can emulate the majority of Windows/Mac program, and it has little to no virus' in the wild. As for the filesystem, it's more or less unparalleled.

On top of that, the Linux community has been the most welcoming to me: if you ask for help at a Windows website you're usually flamed with abuse, whereas at a Linux website, people give up -- if you do, also -- the time and patience to help you with your problem.

I don't quite understand your point of having a visibly better Kernel, as I'm sure aesthetics don't matter when it comes to this area. I didn't quite understand the comment about GUI's being simplistic to be better, either: I value usability at the end of the day, and if I have to sacrifice usability, then I feel like I'm sacrificing the overall quality of the GUI.

All in all, Linux is tailor-made to me, now. I basically run my own made distro that has everything I need, you don't get that sort of 'out the box' satisfaction from Windows or Mac, however you don't have to tinker with Apple or Windows, either.

It is fair to say each to our own, but Linux (especially flavours like Ubuntu, Slackware and Fedora) have really changed the way I use a computer. Oh, and I'm sure you've missed a few operating systems out, like BerliOS and Unix (Linux is Unix-like).

(Just getting us back on topic a bit!)

Level 18
I've got relatively extensive experience with OS X, Windows 2000 to 7 and various Linux distributions - at one point I had XP, OS X and Ubuntu triple-booting on my macbook pro - but out of the three, Linux is always going to be my system of choice. Linux's advantages are manifold, and while it does have its flaws, they are pithy by comparison to those of its competition.

Windows' only advantage for me is its domination of the game market; Microsoft's DirectX is currently favoured over the Open-Source OpenGL for game development, effectively limiting most games to windows only. Other than this, it's more of a resource hog, less aesthetically pleasing, less functional out of the box, less configurable, less secure and less useful than either OS X or Linux.

OS X is interesting, because in my eyes it has some of the advantages and disadvantages of both Linux and Windows - because it has a larger market share than Linux distributions do for pcs, more games are released for it as well as Windows, while it still retains much of the customizability, stability, security and useability of Linux. However, while it does keep most of this, it's still not as good as Linux in any of those areas.

Personally, I dislike the OS X interface and hate the dock with a fiery passion, and it is more or less impossible to configure it to my liking due to the OS' propietary nature. By comparison, Linux provides literally the most configurability possible; you have access to the source code of practically everything, and most programs are built to be easily configurable by the user. This allows for anything from hawt user interface graphics to ultra-minimalistic functional approaches, depending on your own personal preferences.

As for security and stability, there are, as V.I mentioned, more or less no viruses 'in the wild' for Linux, and extremely few for OS X. However, because there are always multiple Linux developers online and working at any given time, Linux's response to any security issues discovered is immediate - security problems are generally fixed within hours after their discovery.

Lastly is the issue of useability, and in this Linux is again superior. Linux's configurability combined with the ubiquity of extremely powerful tools and programs available for it make it a supremely effective system to use. And while it is true that Linux has a harsher learning curve than OS X or Windows, given that you'll almost certainly be frequently using computers for the rest of your life, it's worth spending a year learning your way around it for the benefits it provides.

Level 9
Spare your words. He's banned now and cannot reply the things we say.

So, Ricardo, you lost. And, of course, I preffer Windows.
Same thing here. I'm sure he will come back next year with the infraction removed. Easy to use, short learning curve and is rather convincing (decent interface too) . Many programs and games come through here.

Reactions: HFR
Level 21
I don't quite understand your point of having a visibly better Kernel, as I'm sure aesthetics don't matter when it comes to this area. I didn't quite understand the comment about GUI's being simplistic to be better, either: I value usability at the end of the day, and if I have to sacrifice usability, then I feel like I'm sacrificing the overall quality of the GUI.

If I'm talking about a visibly better kernel, I am obviously not talking about visuals. I mean a kernel that is *visibly* (i.e; noticeably) more advanced than another kernel. And in this respect, I don't think either of the kernels are supreme.

When I'm talking about the GUI's being simplistic, I'm talking about my personal preference towards GUI's that don't constantly want your attention or interfaces that use half your screen and still don't display everything. When it comes down to this, I prefer the '98 look above anything else. Many unix interfaces come close, but the mac interface & vista interface are way behind.

All in all, Linux is tailor-made to me, now. I basically run my own made distro that has everything I need, you don't get that sort of 'out the box' satisfaction from Windows or Mac, however you don't have to tinker with Apple or Windows, either.
Well, this is also the point I used about having to install a JVM on windows when it comes pre-installed on macs. Does anyone really care that you have to choose your own software on windows? Does anyone give a damn about paint or WMP?

Personally, I dislike the OS X interface and hate the dock with a fiery passion, and it is more or less impossible to configure it to my liking due to the OS' propietary nature. By comparison, Linux provides literally the most configurability possible; you have access to the source code of practically everything, and most programs are built to be easily configurable by the user. This allows for anything from hawt user interface graphics to ultra-minimalistic functional approaches, depending on your own personal preferences.
Agreed. But my own preference still goes to the minimalistic windows interface, so I don't truly need the customisations.

Spare your words. He's banned now and cannot reply the things we say.
He is? Well, if he's reading this: I had nothing to do with it. But I won't miss him...

Level 2
Ricardo Irving hired me to respond to people on this website, so here is his words:
HFR said:
So, Ricardo, you lost. And, of course, I preffer Windows.
Ricardo said:
Hmm, how did I lose by being banned? I'm sure 50 million people did not pop back to life when the Axis were defeated.

Pha said:
I'm sure he will come back next year with the infraction removed.
Ricardo said:
No, I won't as it is a major waste of time as a distraction, plus getting an infraction for supporting newbs is really retarded.

Eleandor said:
He is? Well, if he's reading this: I had nothing to do with it. But I won't miss him...
Ricardo said:
Of course you wouldn't! You were flaming me...! Plus, I did not say Windows was Unix based. Learn to read, please.

Ricardo said:
Close this thread, close this thread! Plus, some people won't get what Eleandor is talking about, as a few people probably haven't heard or are familiar of what a kernel is
That is all Ricardo Irving intended me to copy...

Status
Not open for further replies.