Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Dumblor, May 8, 2008.

1. Lon-ami

Lon-ami

Resources:
    Resources:
    The problem with that idea is that you would only be able to cover one race/faction at once, which sucks for both player and product reasons. If you push forward anyway and try to cover all of them at once, the campaigns will be far too short for your character progression to matter; and if you still manage to make said progression matter, your players won't be happy when they lose it.

Also, you seem to imply you want more RP choices, like being able to choose who to ally with. That would be terrible for storytelling, since a scripted campaign will always give better results than a sandbox approach, specially in single player.

Finally, you would be throwing away the modular mission model we have now, which works really well for RTS games, since each mission can be themed around different story and gameplay elements. Modular missions allow difficulty and cooperative modes too.

Personal opinion: Too much freedom is a bad idea, and things get to shine when given proper limits.

WoW story is a huge mess, I don't think they can salvage anything for either a potential W4 or WoW2. A soft reset using a parallel universe approach is the best option, you get to keep the iconic locations and characters, but the story is different. What if scenarios are really popular if done right; for example, what if Arthas hadn't gone evil and got to be king, with Jaina as the queen. Same characters everyone knows and loves, with new scenarios to play.

An alternative is to destroy Azeroth and move everyone into new worlds/realms/planes, including shattered fragments of the old world among the new stuff, or just set everything into the distant future, turning the current locations into ancient ruins, which we can explore to understand what happened in the decades/centuries between each title.

2. Sxar

Sxar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The best thing they could do for Warcraft IV is create a new world and new races. The plot would be that Azeroth fell as Draenor did against but this time is not against the fell but the scourge and survivors from Azeroth arrived throught the Exodar last forces of the Naaru.

Old Alduin is their formal leader and died on the land site. They said that the Scourge are looking to destroy the light of the World Soul in order to open portals to the Void Walkers can come and feed from our plane.

Sylvanas has become their avatar and armies commander. She does it in order to save her soul of the eternal darkness. In order to close the portals of the Void Walkers, The Alliance of the Light must look for the lost Artefacts of several characters of Azeroth like Medivh's summoning book, The Soul Eater (jewel in the helm of domination)... Featuring races:

- Dark Elves: Elves turned like vampires that takes damage over the sunlight due their connections to the void but have strong power dealing against their magic. Leadered by Alleria Windrunner.

- Azeroth Alliance: Ruled by the Council of Azeroth, a regent of each survivor race of Azeroth. Commanded by Alleria's son (Arathor), Moira, Thrall's elder son.

Extinted races are gnome, troll, orcs, tauren, draenei... in Azeroth remain a few specemines that hate the Azeroth Alliance and others who keep fighting (something like Outland).

The horde stay in Azeroth sacrificing themselves together with the night elves in order to stop the Void Walkers to leave Azeroth and to prevent the corruption expand over other worlds. Anduin and the Exodar arrived to this new world because the void opened a portal.

Bad guys races staring by:

- Ether: a force army of the void sent throught the portals from azeroth in northrend. Is a mix of the Undead cultists and void walkers with swarm brain (something like the zerg). The brain are of course the Old Gods.

- The Iron Horde: the horde from Outland and Alternated Draenor joint forces to destroy Azeroth portals and to conquer new worlds using the ideals of Ner'zul.

The ultimate goal of the Void Walkers is to consume the Pantheon to destroy our reality. They just need energy of the living things of our plane to materialize here and their use the undead bodies and the voidwalkers as their enbodyment.

The fell army of the Legion (commanded by Sargeras) was a way to stop them.
    Also the scourge and undead armies... but they faild.

The dragons are gone. The old gods destroyed them all or corrupted them turning them into Neather Drakes. The alliance will need the dragon soul from Azeroth to stop them all or their will destroy the new world (other item from Azeroth that is bond to the soul of each dragon flight). Only Kalec survived to the corruption 'cause he was with Jaina in the Exodar when the dragons in northrend felt. Their were looking a way to stop the expansion of the neather portal in ICC where the helm of domination was broken and he is the mage with most magical knoweldge alived.

He is corrupted and betray the alliance of Azeroth at some point of the expedition of the new world when the new old god starts whispering to him. Instead of close the void portal he uses the book of medivh to open several more over the new world. You defeat him but the new portals are opened. That's the end of the Alliance of Azeroth Campaign.

The Void Campaign begins then with their will to conquer the new world and enslave them all corrupting them with the new old gods of this world.

The dark elves prevent the corruption using the energy of the portal to create a magical barrier over the world defeating the newborn old god before he becomes full awaken (something like the final mission of the protoss of Starcraft original).

The Iron horde expasion would be exploration of outland and Azeroth to keep control of the resources to build their new portals and armies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020
  3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nah, that's what Heroes of Might & Magic series did and it obviously ended up being a reboot every time.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Azeroth is a god not a dragon as far as I am aware. The Dragons were just a blessed race of monsters gifted power by other gods (not Azeroth) to help protect Azeroth during development. Azeroth is meant to be in an immature state and so incapable of direct intervention, which is why it is up to the heroes of WoW to fight instead against the many threats. Any Void Lord touched being would be capable of permanently corrupting Azeroth upon contact with her core, which is why the Old Gods posed such a threat despite being weak compared to their creators.

Due to the corruption of Death Wing and the resulting events the dragon flight was forced to give away most of their gifted divine power. This has left them in a state of limbo where lore wise there is no detail as to what they are mostly doing and what is happening to them. This was likely done for gameplay reasons to prevent players becoming to attached to them and starting to think about every Dragon they killed in WoW being a sentient being with little to no malice which would make the "heroes" the evil. Honestly they really should have been turned into a playable race in WoW, after all one can play as anthromorphic Pandas and Dogs so why not Dragons?

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a planet. They made a titan be born in it in WoW.

6. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    just shorten this into: "I play retail wow and preach garbage lore"

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I never played WoW... It is called reading up about lore.

8. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    no need to be this hostile man

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, what's up? It's obvious Doc didn't know the details hence why I corrected him partially.
    Also, he was replying to someone not generally talking about the thread topic.

10. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tbh, this whole thread is kinda sad in one way or another. Seeing how people still want the game that, we can now safely say, we know isn't gonna happen, ever.

And after the whole Refunded fiasco, we can basically confirm our suspicion that it's never gonna happen, not that any of us were thinking it was likely to happen even before Refunded. And WoW BfA being a failure certainly isn't gonna help either.

To top it all off, RTS is (sadly :() pretty much a dead genre, so if Blizzard ever decides to do another RTS, which seems really unlikely in a long long time, chances that it's gonna be Starcraft 3: Warcraft 4 are something like 10:1.

11. Sxar

Sxar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think they can do a new game based in something like total war franchise. It's like an evolved version of Nobunaga's Ambition mixed with cinematic strategic battles. They did a Warhammer version, so I think a warcraft or even Starcraft version should be amazing too. I'm sure there should be some mods already for the current game versions since Medieval II total war.
    RTS are not "dead"propertly. But the formula is outdated in several ways.Fire emblem was dead too and reborn from it's ashes with gloripus games to Nintendo Switch and N3DS. However, if warcraft don't evolve they will lose customers and that's a fact. Blizzard will still milking WoW till it becomes econonomicaly inviable but with China paying for it I have my doubt it will die soon.
    Personaly I hated what they did with Calia (turn her into a "forsaken" just to don't move the forsaken from their starting zone). WoW best expansion was Cataclysm because they changed ALL the world and the starting zone events. That was a true expansion in my personal point of view but well... let's see... the last good expansion was Legion because they killed a lot of old characters and past the crown to Anduin and that was amazing... Illidan and the demon hunters, traveling to argus and defeat Sargeras. For me WoW ended there. Now the plot about the old gods and the upside down from Stranger Things.... oh boy... I have my doubts..

I
    I'm agree. Dragonkind should be a playable race. Also ogres. Now we have "sub races" from trolls and helf... why not Ogres and dragons instead the gremblins? Even the idea of play an bicefal ogre with two players like you can do in HotS is an amazing idea (the first player in will take the active head and full control of the body till the player 2 log in, then the player 2 cast the spells and you attack melee and move).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020
  12. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    'Reforged' rhymes with 'Four'; this means they are announcing Warcraft IV soon.
    They have already given us a hint.
    EDIT:
    I have also decoded more messages from Reforged regarding Warcraft 4 if you want them then feel free to ask me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not really, it rhymes with gorged, surged etc.
    Why waste a post without already writing them?

14. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    It also rhymes with 'four'.
    I want people to reply to my posts.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Didn't know rhyming was also considered at the middle part of words.

16. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even if Warcraft 4 were to happen... after the debacle that is Warcraft 3: Reforged and the irrefutable, undeniable proof that Activision is now calling the shots at Blizzard, why in the name of all that is holy would we even WANT a fourth entry in the series??! We should already know it'll be nothing but garbage under this regime.

17. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agreed. ActiBlizz showed complete and utter neglect and uncaring towards the game and the community (despite claiming to care very much for both). More than that, in Usual-for-AAA-Style, they insulted the fans and shook off any responsibility for this failure.

Blizzard doesn't care, they abandoned WC3 and any potential sequels. Plain and simple.

And it's a good thing. They'd end up making another failure.

18. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    They should just stop calling themselves Blizzard at this point. It's just Activision now. Hell, I can't be the only person who noticed that one year Mike Morhaime was the CEO of Blizzard Entertainment and then the next year he was just the President of Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard doesn't have a CEO anymore, that means it's no longer independent. Activision's dug its claws in deeper, and Reforged is the ultimate result of that.

19. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am not entirely even sure it matters. Even if Blizzard remained just that, it probably would have succumbed to this anyways. Seemingly this happens with most large Video Game companies.

Look at Tale Worlds. They were a small indie dev crew, and created M&B - a Sandbox game that was just awesome. They even announced a sequel. But after getting their millions, they got lazy and it took them 10 years to release a buggy demo for a sequel... And they are being dishonest, and not communicating just like Blizz.

Look at Naughty Dog. Made some decent games before, games that were beloved by fans, but recently has adopted EA's style of abusing their fans, and actually doubling down on that. On top of releasing a completely underwhelming game with terrible story.

The Golden Days of gaming were when Video Games weren't such a big industry, and they were being made by few, small, but very dedicated developer companies.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lying is caring
    honesty is weakness
    greed is power