1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Dumblor, May 8, 2008.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry. Until there's any official news about it, you can stop spamming the thread with conspiracies. Thank you.

2. mikotodesu

mikotodesu

Resources:
    Resources:
    that's the main point of this thread, conspiracies about Warcraft IV

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, with no Warcraft IV discussion there would be no thread so, try to be constructive.

4. jarko

jarko

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe Warcraft IV will almost definitely happen, it just might take literally another 5-10 years. Yes, WoW has taken the storyline and fucked it 16 ways to Sunday, but they've already introduced alternate universes, time travel and all that jazz so that they could recycle and rehash the lore from Wc1-3 and let the WoW players experience it. Lore is literally the last issue that will prevent WC4. Blizzard is a great developer but they are about money.

So thats the next question - is there any money in an RTS? The answer is yes, but not as much as other types of games. Its too hard to play a serious RTS. You need certain skills, and while kids today will play hours and hours of stuff like HotS and DOTA, its much different than micro and macro in competitive RTS.

Ultimately I think that there is a reason they keep supporting Wc3. They are seeing if there is a desire for such a game. I think SC2 wasn't what they hoped; they made money but it didn't really establish itself as the new titan RTS. It faded. I think they need time to let everyone reset from SC2, continue to milk WoW for what it's worth, and then come out with some very fresh ideas for a new Warcraft RTS game. We are likely to see Diablo 4 and some other AAA game before then, but I think theres too much money and possibility there for Blizzard never to open that door.

5. Dr. Benevolent Guy

Dr. Benevolent Guy

Resources:
    Resources:
    When Blizzard will mess up with the current WOW, they will make Warcraft 4 with an alternate timeline where:
    Malfurion as the Betrayer
    Shan'do Illidan
    Maiev Shadowsong Priestess of the Moon
    Tyrande the Warden
    Jaina the Lich Queen
    and introduce World of Warcraft 2.0.

6. Plunders

Plunders

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @OP

Story wise WC4 would be more viable if wow didn't have 16 expansions (sry i think i lost count), the classic wow doesn't screw up too much story.

That being said, looking at what blizzard has become... Do you WANT then to make wc4? Personally I'd rather not.

7. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think after the Reforged disaster, Warcraft 4 is off the table for a veeeery long time.

8. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    SC2 was great, Heroes too for what it tried to be, but it seems the RTS experts are mostly gone. I dont trust the Classic team with WC4.

9. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    You don't have to. I'm pretty sure that if Blizzard was ever to make Warcraft IV then it would get its own dedicated team, just like Starcraft 2.

10. Jarrot

Jarrot

Resources:
    Resources:
    with the actually level of story written i hope to never see a war4 and it's very sad

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are opposite terms.
    Also, I'm not too hopeful about it either way. Let's see how Diablo IV will come out first.
    That too.

12. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If it's ever coming, I hope they hire you as a story/campaign director :D

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually, I'd prefer him as a game-map-level designer since he hasn't done something with his own story yet.

14. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You definitely dont want me as a story creator^^ I would like to be in charge of micro missions or missions that are more gimmicky.

15. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah that's kinda what I meant, director in the sense of taking a given story and making it into a fun and cohesive campaign and design fun game mechanics etc., like what you did with your three WC3 campaigns :D

16. Krolan

Krolan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Somebody was able to rewrite the WC3 code into Java...... somebody make an open source project already. call it "The Art of War" and be done with hoping for greedy scumbags to suddenly stop being greedy scumbags.

17. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you're looking for a new Blizzard RTS, I think that Starcraft 3 is a billion times more likely than Warcraft 4, but even so it's let's say.....hundreds of light years away.

Even if it does come out don't expect it to be any "good". I mean don't expect it to be a masterpiece AAA game, expect it to be an average game with a limited budget. It would probably be reuseing Starcraft 2's engine and graphics, and a lot of assets, with added new content, some new mechanic (like e.g. a third resource) and maybe a new race (e.g void beings? hybrids? or something simmilar). They can easily come up with a story for it, cause Starcraft's lore was never really even closely as deep as Warcraft's.

As for Warcraft 4, you can just as well cross it off the list as impossible. If anything, Reforged has shown us just how much money, stuff, other resources and care Blizzard is willing to invest in an RTS. And thus, to an extent how much potential it has according to them. So in the end it might even be better that we won't be seeing Warcraft 4.

RTS genre is simply not that popular anymore, it's not the "thing" anymore, however sad I may be for that fact. So don't expect Blizzard to invest money in making a completely new RTS in a forceeable and even unforseeable future.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you're referring to StarCraft II, yeah, otherwise you're misinforming people. The fact that there's no World of StarCraft game doesn't mean StarCraft's story isn't deep.
    Popularity has little to do with it. People nowadays tend to think less. This is also a maintaining factor for trends.

19. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember back 15-20 years ago people used to play fewer games. Games might have been cheaper on release but the price would not drop as quickly as nowadays. No steam sales etc. We would buy 3-4 games a year max and focus on those. I remember even with a short linear game like Max Payne, i finished it over a dozen times and played various mods.

Now that prices have dropped people play more games with little time for each game. People habe developed the "backlog" mentality, having bought dozens of unplayed games. Sometimes I play games not out of enjoyment but to tick it off my list.

This habit has influenced the types of games I buy. I rarely get a game with unknown mechanics, focusing more on linear shooters. No time to get into base building mechanics with their untransparent economy and tech-trees.

If RTS want to become popular again then their approachability needs to change. Streamline techtrees and controls, automate more (what if every skill was autocast?). But Make it so individual micro always triumphs over automation.

===
    In my opinion a WC4 should be even more hero focused. Maybe the hero is the one building stuff; forget peons etc.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good that people can spend hours daily with lame repetitive series but when it comes to some thinking in video games, they rather play AoS/MOBAs, ARPGs and shooters...
    I don't think it's about time but rather the laziness of the century which leads to unthoughtfulness.