• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I never played the 1st 2 games but from what I know, the orcs being shamanic warriors instead of generic bad guys because of the demons was a complete retcon - the thing is, it made them more interesting IMO

The little I know about WOW is the 2 factions don't make much sense : previously unmentioned humans from azeroth are strong enough to threaten the horde on the other side of the world ? and shamans orcs and taurens allied with undeads and ennemies of the elven druids ?

and that Illidan became crrraaaazy and had to be stopped, and Kael became crazy and had to be stopped, and Vashj... ok she was already a generic henchwoman :grin:

so I have little interest if the story picks up after whatever happened in 10+ years of WOW, but I'm probably in the minority here, given the WOW-inspired campaign are the most popular here 🤷

Level 11
Speaking of orcs and humans, would you guys settle for a Warcraft 1 remake (instead of WC4)? A remake done right and a good game on its own, of course.

With so much of old lore retconned in WoW and its supplements, the story would be almost entirely different from the old game, but with a team of clear-headed writers the simple plot of WC1 could be expanded and enriched with new interesting characters and plotlines. As long as it's not Medivh banging Garona...

Nobody's going to make an RTS with merely two races these days, but how about each race having subfactions with unique units and/or even structures? /tips fedora to Dawn of Chaos team

Level 5
Speaking of orcs and humans, would you guys settle for a Warcraft 1 remake (instead of WC4)? A remake done right and a good game on its own, of course.

With so much of old lore retconned in WoW and its supplements, the story would be almost entirely different from the old game, but with a team of clear-headed writers the simple plot of WC1 could be expanded and enriched with new interesting characters and plotlines. As long as it's not Medivh banging Garona...

Nobody's going to make an RTS with merely two races these days, but how about each race having subfactions with unique units and/or even structures? /tips fedora to Dawn of Chaos team
I'm in for a Warcraft remake. I never played it but I would like to in modern graphics.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I never played the 1st 2 games but from what I know, the orcs being shamanic warriors instead of generic bad guys because of the demons was a complete retcon - the thing is, it made them more interesting IMO
It was softly retconned in Warcraft II. Soft retcon basically means adding stuff on what you have rather than radically changing things like for instance Draenei to Eredar.
Not really since you can pretty much do it in Warcraft III or even better in StarCraft II. This lack of originality that are remakes is really hurting art as a whole in every media form. No reboots and especially no soft reboots.
Ugh, the Warcraft movie, eh.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Demons and an "Illidari" race that combines Naga and Blood Elves definitely have the most material right now to make them fully fledged playable races. There's no reason they can't come up with others, though. :) I once toyed with the idea of making demons a race, it can definitely be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.