1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Northrend Bound v1.85

Submitted by Wark
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Northrend Bound
Brought to you by: Wark

The old kingdom has fallen into disarray.
It is broken and divided, but not all is lost.
The people seek a new leader to face the trials of the North.
Will you rise to the cause?
There will be many challenges and choices. Allies and enemies.
To be a tyrant or a hero, the decision is yours.

Need info? Check out this item reference chart by Insanity_AI:
Northrend Bound Spreadsheets

Requires the latest version of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

• Introduction:
    Northrend Bound is a strategy-RPG game.
    It is based in an alternate Warcraft universe where something happened to the human kingdom of Northrend.
    You are a lowly wanderer (of varying races) determined to become the next king. How you do it? That's completely up to you.
    My goal is to make something that's as fun as possible, with many different ways to go about playing the game.

Synopsis:
    The old kingdom is all but gone.
    A decade ago, dark magic washed over these lands and exacted a terrible price.
    The forests, are dying.
    The mountains, are in perpetual frost.
    The animals become more aggressive day by day.
    Undead roam the coasts,
    and the Queen has shut out her people. She hasn't been seen since that day.
    What do you hope to accomplish, wanderer?

Features include but are not limited to:

• Single player OR co-op OR free-for-all. Can add computer players.
    • Hunting, fishing, mining, farming, lumber gathering, digging, trading, base building
    • Crafting with over 200 items
    • Multiple ways to develop your characters
    • "QWER - DFG" hotkeys for skills
    • "-help" and other in-game commands with game modes
    • Kick-ass backpack system
    • Semi-balanced races; they have strengths and weaknesses
    • Unit ranking system
    • Morality system based on reputation with the townsfolk
    • Naval combat
    • Espionage through direct and indirect means
    • A focus on town building, hero development, or a combination of the two
    • Different ways to win: conquest victory (destroy all other players or capture all towns), heroic victory (kill all bosses), economic victory (have "x" gold, players vote)

• To pick your race:
    Select your race at the start the game!
    Human: (starting stats: 8 Str, 8 Agi, 8 Int)
    - Round-all race, armored infantry, strong casters, no air units, more diplomatic options

Orc: (starting stats: 9 Str, 8 Agi, 7 Int)
    - Units have higher health and damage, but cost more food. Better at conventional warfare. Upgrades make units level up faster (more experience in battle)

Undead: (starting stats: 8 Str, 7 Agi, 9 Int)
    - Weaker yet cheaper units, more options to harass players.

Elf: (starting stats: 7 Str, 9 Agi, 8 Int)
    - Units have less armor but are more mobile. Ideal for hit and run tactics. Significant advantages at night.

Dwarf: (starting stats: 9 Str, 7 Agi, 8 Int)
    - Units are more costly, but more hardy. More mechanical and siege units available.

Unit Counters:
    Different units will prove much more effective against their counters.
    It's like rock-paper-scissors-water-dynamite:

- Cavalry are good at rushing infantry, archers, and siege units
    - Polearm units impale cavalry units
    - Archers and towers can pick off polearm units, flying units and casters
    - Infantry with shields slaughter archers and are good fodder to siege base towers . . . if they can get close!
    - Casters generally counter infantry, but are better used as support.
    - Siege units demolish buildings and have no counters to their damage type, but are slow and vulnerable . . . usually
    - Air units are strong against most ground units, except archers or towers
    - Battleships demolish ground units, buildings and other ships
    - Frigates destroy air units

Example Starting Strategies:
    1) Start as a hunter, build a tent somewhere for a "lumber base", hire some Thugs from a tavern to harvest your lumber, go hunting for gold, build up from there.

2) Start as a fisherman, find a fisherman's guild for a shovel, go to the corner of the map somewhere, dig and fish for gold, sell accumulated riches, buy lumber, start a base.

3) Say sod building, talk to villagers, gain the "silver tongue" achievement, trade goods between markets for gold, gear up, go do dungeon quests to level up, kill armies with your hero.

• The current progress of the map is as follows:

Dungeons: 100%
    Lore: 99%
    Races: 100%
    Terrain: 100%

Systems: 98%
    Tutorial: 100%
    Unit Data: 100%

To Do:
    - Introduction and ending cinematics
    - Add info on elites and bosses

Deadline for next update:
    Pending

• Map Release: August 25, 2017 (version 1.0)
    • Version 1.68: Conquest victory through controlling neutral towns now has a 4 minute timer so other players can react. Adjusted some spell mana costs. Corrected some in game messages. Moved around some lore objects to make them more visible (bottles, signs, graves, books, and spirits).
    • Version 1.69: Updated colour schemes for the lastest version of WC3. Made some minor terrain palette changes. Did prepwork for a major ocean/calamity event update.
    • Version 1.74: Increased player limit to 12. Adjusted zombie AI drastically. Fixed the multiboard and added a clock. Changed the UI to something more appropriate. Added a "-friend" game mode so all players can start off allied. Magic offhands can now be combined. Fixed bugs with game modes. Fixed a zombie problem. Fixed player numbers for dug up units. Fixed a problem with bosses and defeat.
    • Version 1.75: Pickaxes now deal double damage to structures and can mine ores from deposits. Axes now can chop trees. Fixed some text in quest dialogues. Added the Demon Invasion calamity. Added the Nature's Wrath miracle. Items can now stack in full inventories (does not apply to buying items), and right clicking stacks now split them equally. Computer players will now have different scripting and random start locations.
    • Version 1.76: Fixed a bug with despawning the Shrine of Chaos. Turtles no longer give bounty. Fixed a bug with the 3 moons key.
    • Version 1.79: Changes to lighting and map limits! Player limits will be reduced to 8 once again, and the file size will be maintained at below 8 MB. Changed the Cavalry Charge ability for some cavalry type units. Vaults now provide 6 food for the Hero techtree. Reduced experience scaling from crafting. Buffed Fenris. Touched up some terrain. Fixed some lighting. Tweaked again for backwards compatibility.
    • Version 1.80: Bug fixes for the dungeon entrances.
    • Version 1.82: Summoned unit and content update! Added a new mercenary camp in the south by the ruined village. Reverted lighting back to normal, for now. Buffed Tinker summons and removed the bomb ability. Increased tree health and regrowth rates. The backpack now has a toggle option to force summoned units to follow the Hero that summoned them. Changed the AI script completely for the Forces of Chaos. Removed animals that spawn in base locations. Adjusted the formulas for item market values to have a longer recovery time. Added inventory to Orc units. Fixed the "Green Thumb" perk. Added a Troll Hero to the Frost Gate mercenary camp. Limited Dry Docks to 2 and Naval Batteries to 5 per player. Fixed a graphical glitch with green stuff everywhere. Zombies now decay in sunlight during the day.
    • Version 1.84: Hotfixes to the blood moon event, Gnoll Poacher, and troll arena. Tweaked summons AI a bit and limited zombie populations. Added the "-give" command to give selected units to different player numbers.
    • Version 1.85: Skeletal pirates now roam and attack bases. Worn Chain and Bandit Leather can now be used for crafting tier 2 armor. Buffed Nimble Gloves. Increased boss hit points while reducing some of their spell damage. New craftable accessory: Safeguard Amulet. Buffed tentacles. Fixed the item duping bug. Increased zeppelin cost. Increased Bloodmoon cost. Added the Naga, which becomes unlockable through a quest (hint: requires fishing). Added some reefs and shallow waters for possible aquatic bases.

• The custom models and icons in this map are not my own.
    A special thanks to the following people for making some awesome models and icons, or otherwise helping me in the making of this map:

- Special Thanks -
    monkeyboy15, for testing my map
    TC_Firestar, for the shoulderpads
    steamgirl.arisu, for the loading screen
    ShadeGabriel and Sifonseal, for the inspiration
    Insanity_AI, for his spreadsheet

- Coding Help -
    Maker, Laercio, ColdBone, NFWar, Paladon, Svetli, Spinnaker, Fruit Forest, Bribe

- Models and Icons-
    Sin'dorei300, Sunchips, Blood Raven, AndrewOverload519, Wandering Soul, skrab, Ket, communist_orc, Illidan(Evil)X, HerrDave, Minimage, Ergius, CRAZYRUSSIAN, HappyTauren, graystuff111, Mythic, LoDown, !!GORO!!, Stanakin, Ujimasa Hojo, Kitabatake, Muoteck, JollyD, Eagle XI, Mr.Goblin, Elenai, Direfury, Tranquil, General Frank, -Grendel, epsilon, Tenebrae, Kuhneghetz, Laercio, CoLd Bon3, KILLCIDE, Em!, ~Nightmare, San, inhuman89, Mr. Bob, Deolrin, darkdeathknight, Lockheart, The Weird Human, stan0033, 00110000, Chriz, Uncle Fester and Blizzard Entertainment

• Previews:
    See below for samples of gameplay, terrain, and features!

Northrend Bound v1.85 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Avoid playing music through the sound channel. Use the other Play Music trigger. And stop playing it every time the day/night starts or does it just play from time to time? Why fade to black and out when night/rain comes? Did you credit the original...
  1. Xeryxoz

Xeryxoz

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Reporting a major bug - once a player owns a town or town assets; when he leaves - if he is in control of them, like all of the buildings that are removed that he owns; the town buildings are removed as well. Please make a delayed trigger that checks for unit types so that they may be given to the neutral party (northrend people) before the removal of all units

2. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bug with Molly: Tried to take her on and ran away, but when I came back she didn't move or attack at all even with units appearing right next to her (she did cast Frenzy though). Only cause I can see is that I'd used Rock blast on her the first time.

3. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I heard that bug before with Molly, and I am not sure why.
    Anyways, I am running late on my next deadline. I am going to release the next patch within a couple of days.

4. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    May I also suggest for some "lore papers" that drop from any dungeon mob or something? They don't really do anything, just narrate some lore about the ogre/fel orc/troll history, how bandits managed to subjugate kobolds/ogres, the wizard's son, the queen's madness, the tales of the disappearing ships and pirates and such.

5. Railto

Railto

Resources:
    Resources:
    if things need to be polished more then push the deadline a bit its gotta be quality over quantity xD

6. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ardenaso
    I do have a subtle underlying story right now, and am all in favor of giving more details as to why things came to be.
    I noticed you picked up on some of it. So, why not? I'll try my hand at story telling.
    I may even drop hints on how to find that hidden boss in those journals... seems nobody has found it yet.

I think I figured out why Ol' Molly gets stuck: she's sitting at maximum terrain height.
    I'll just move her slightly.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Town bugs:
    * The orc mayor (and presumably other melee heroes) tends to drift away from his position, making him easier to kill (he teleported back, but still).
    * Towers don't stop attacking townsfolk on their own after they switch to you. It also caused several "You are now enemies with Townsfolk" messages.
    * Took over Wizard's Folly. Shortly after, I got a message that I'd lost a town (the orc town), but when I went to it, the town and towers were still mine and attacking the townsfolk, and the mayor had disappeared from the hero list.

The map is now too big to save in single player, maybe you could add a quickstart mode where every player starts at a high level and tiny buildings so they can get gear and bases up faster.

8. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @cleavinghammer
    I think I fixed the problems with the townsfolk and conquering mechanics. Let me know how it works now.

And, oops. The filesize is over 8MB. Ah well, I have some minor things I wanted to change anyways. I'll reduce that by tomorrow.
    Has anyone noticed any problems with the new techtree system that may need fixing?

9. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ranger's Call Wolf summons the dog (as in the whistle summon) instead.

Summoner's Doom: I really hope the max target level increases with Intelligence, because being unable to use Doom on a level 3 brigand is just sad. It can be cast on your own summons but doesn't bring anything when the summon dies.

Healer is a bit underwhelming. Maybe give him Healing Wave as a trait.

Trait selector disappears after a single upgrade and has to be resummoned.

What does the Warning item do?

10. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The "warning" item is more just there as part of the lore. It has no function but to show some text.
    I have a bunch of other hidden messages scattered everywhere and such with the same function.
    I may switch the item type to something that consumes on use to avoid confusion.

The trait selector disappearing is a necessary evil to avoid queuing up both traits in a tier.
    The trait system is rudimentary, though I will probably reduce that cooldown.

Last I checked, Call Wolf summons a wolf instead of a dog. Weird.
    Not being able to use Doom on a brigand is also weird. There's no target or level limit on that spell. Hmm.

I got that impression from playtesting the Healer afterwards. It looked good on paper, but why use a healer when you could go Inquisitor with massive damage and partial heals?
    I may buff the Healer's effectiveness through reducing Tranquility's duration, but increasing healing per second. I'll also make Entangling Roots level with intelligence for some reliable damage, and just buffing the Heal spell.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Giant demon gate in the middle of nowhere that gives cryptic warnings and it doesn't do anything horrible? You're a madman!

Maybe use a different model for the spirit in the forest, I was wondering why I couldn't pick it up.

Dog: Maybe it's a based-on-same-spell problem? Perhaps it works differently if you already summoned one.

Summoner's Parasite works on heroes, forgot to mention that. Maybe give it a different name though.

12. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, I want Parasite to work on Heroes, but not your own heroes. Maybe rename it "Corruption?" I wanted each "Hero" to have some kind of passive effect to reduce micro management between multiple heroes.

That gate does do something though ... something sinister on a blood moon.
    More in the future, when I finally make radiant quests for the new Hero techtree.

And oh, right. Fae Dust. Forgot about that.

13. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    For some reason the guild hall doesn't do anything for me, It has no hero options just the workers and the Fortify spell...

Edit: I redownloaded it and tried again, but this time the vault doesn't offer traits but only summons heroes too, or should I wait before I get two heroes?

I think the reason for the mentioned bug is probably I increased my reputation first before building the guild hall.

14. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You get a hero your Leader needs to be level 5 first. Access to the traits also require that specific Hero.
    It's not connected to reputation at all, just your first Hero's level. I think I will change the requirements for the first summoned hero.

15. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^^ Try using the summoning book built from the hero.

16. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean, the Hero path notification didn't show up and the Altar/Vault didn't show up on my build list either. Also, I don't see any waterfall by the coasts

17. Graflar

Graflar

Resources:
    Resources:
    I noticed that the trait statue for the healer doesn't despawn after a set time like the other hero statues do it just stays there permanently.

Is it intended for the book of summoning to allow you to summon multiple warrior heroes?

The tooltip for warrior trait 4 talents has the same description but one is a passive damage mitigation and the other revives your warrior on death.

Is it also possible to make certain traits scale with the primary stat of the hero? For example the healer gets a choice between a heal over time on flash heal and a purge attached to their heal. Going with the purge is probably a no brainer most of the time. If the heal over time scaled with intelligence it might make the choice more difficult.

I like how certain heroes have synergy together like the summoner with spirit link and the healer with tranquility.

How did people find the max food cap for the hero techtree? Max food cap is 14 i believe. It allowed me to have 2 fishing boats, 2 shredders for lumber gathering, 2 pack horses and 1 zepplin to move around the map.

18. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't mind it a little higher.

19. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for reporting them bugs, I fixed most of them except "Doom." Apparently Doom acts weirdly against the "creep" race. I'll be looking into alternatives.
    Also, buffed the Healer a bit. Enjoy!

20. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the reason for the "bug" of the hero path not working properly for me despite me being level 5 is that I am not color red.

Edit: I noticed that you already fixed it; may I also ask in Hero path for one racial hero?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018