• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Noob questions on fog and music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I apologize for being noob, but we all start off as noobs, don't we?

I do not find much information on fog and music so I will ask here.

1) In many maps, such as ORPGs, I have noticed when a player's hero enters a new area on the map, the fog and music substantially changes. Is it possible for the fog and music to change per each player? Or does fog and music have to change for ALL players?

For example, if Player 1 goes into a cave, he starts hearing cave music. But Player 2 goes into a forest and hears forest music. And they both have different fog. Is this possible?

2) How do you create customized fog in certain places in the map? Did the ORPGs I play that did this merely changed the GLOBAL fog?

3) There doesn't seem to be hardly any resources on fog. Does anyone know where there are some? And are there any maps available where I can see how fog was properly made?

Level 13
I apologize for being noob, but we all start off as noobs, don't we?
Pretty much true. :xxd:

I do not find much information on fog and music so I will ask here.

1) In many maps, such as ORPGs, I have noticed when a player's hero enters a new area on the map, the fog and music substantially changes. Is it possible for the fog and music to change per each player? Or does fog and music have to change for ALL players?

For example, if Player 1 goes into a cave, he starts hearing cave music. But Player 2 goes into a forest and hears forest music. And they both have different fog. Is this possible?
Yup, it's done via triggers using an event like "A unit enters a region" and using a check to see if the Local player is the owner of the unit. I don't have WE right now to write it down, so... sorry, but you have to search for the "Local Player" trick yourself either in this or in wc3c forums. Also, this is a quite hazardous trick, if you don't use it correctly, may cause the players to be out of sync with each other and so be disconnected. This is only for music, for the fog see below.

2) How do you create customized fog in certain places in the map? Did the ORPGs I play that did this merely changed the GLOBAL fog?
Exactly. There are some commands in GUI/JASS to change the color of stuff, but there are also some systems that do that, like Regional Fog.
[REQUIRES JASS :wink:]
3) There doesn't seem to be hardly any resources on fog. Does anyone know where there are some? And are there any maps available where I can see how fog was properly made?
Look at the test map in that Regional Fog thread. Good luck!

Level 5
There is a big problem with that Regional Fog map. I was unable to transfer the system over.

I tried saving the Region Fog map, with no altercations, and I got JASS errors.

What is going on with that map? JASS New Gen doesn't like that map and won't save it even with zero changes.

Try it and you'll see.

Level 13
There is a big problem with that Regional Fog map. I was unable to transfer the system over.

I tried saving the Region Fog map, with no altercations, and I got JASS errors.

What is going on with that map? JASS New Gen doesn't like that map and won't save it even with zero changes.

Try it and you'll see.
Sorry for the late answer.

Download the last versions of JNGP (v5d) and put the last JassHelper (0.A.2.A) into the Jasshelper folder.

If you already have them, contact Opossum and tell him what you told me, probably his system is not compatible with the last version of JassHelper. He should be a user here too, do some searches. If not, feel free to post me a PM and I'll try to contact him at Wc3c, though he's not a lot active these days. :hohum:

Status
Not open for further replies.