1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

No legendaries-mode

Discussion in 'Hearthstone' started by Deleted member 219079, Mar 13, 2014.

1. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Where's Ysera and Ragnaros ?

2. DiscoOrc

DiscoOrc

Resources:
    Resources:
    Legendaryies are gimmick cards and are situitional. They usualy arent good. Like ysera for example can be easliy removed and slienced at that turn. If you cant deal with a 4/12 ysera you cant deal with a 6/7 boulderfist ogre. Most legendaryies suck and commons usualy beat them (See totalbiscuits Legendary deck)

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Majority of competitive legend decks are mid range decks, hence you will rarely see anything past 6-drops.
    Late game decks do have Rag and Ysera and sometimes Alexstrasza in combo with giants and then class legendaries.
    The cards I mentioned however are basically in most decks regardless of mid/high range, especially Thalnos is in virtually every deck. So used to be Pagle and Overspark but following the nerf we will see how they will end up.

One fitting example of competitive decks would be the 2P. china vs NA championship, NA was running mid range decks while china late game decks with some rags/ysera and alexss in the mix.
    NA won however.

Here is the NA vs CN decks.
    Clicky

[​IMG][​IMG]

And some legend ladder decks NA. (top100~ top10)
    Clicky

[​IMG][​IMG]

The decks are run by competitive players some of which also play competitively in other tcg games. (MTG)

That being said, I still think Legendaries aren't nearly as good as people would think. It is more of a psychological effect of losing to one which could make people think it was because of the legendaries but in reality they would probably have lost to the enemy either way because of the other factors.
    I personally think the fact you have only one per deck is a huuge drawback when you compare legendaries to good rares/epics.

Personally I'm more irritated about the bullshit matchmaking picking opponents on god knows what basis given I run into people decked with epics on my characters below lvl 10.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  4. Just need this mode, hs doesn't feel nice anymore as I keep facing guys with ridiculous amounts of legendaries... I had 3 days off, today I started playing again, but I've lost to legendary spammers. Oh well, looking towards Heroes, blizzard fucked up another game... Only fun when playing with friends, just like Starcraft...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  5. Yeah, I just went to americas server to play on rank 25 so no legendaries would appear.

Guess what I saw? A legendary on my first game, on rank 25... Oh well, guess I just have to get used to the fact that I will lose 33% of my games to the fact that Blizzard is a greedy sh*t.

Hearthstone's amazing game :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    or, you can counter the legendaries.

pick 2-4 silence cards and 2x faceless manipulators. Silence counters almost every single legendary so that should be helpful.

7. That's wonderful, it'll just take some time to gather enough dust to craft facelesses. I mean, I want to play f2p account on us from now on, I bought 15 packs on other account and I feel dirty.

8. Meticulous

Meticulous

Resources:
    Resources:
    The overpowered legendaries are considered "balanced" because they're late drops and Blizzard intentionally flooded the game with overly efficient hard removal spells to make late drops less game ending. Which is why legendaries are pretty balanced in decks only running a couple of them.

But when it gets right down to it, there are only two real ways to play Hearthstone optimally. One is the pure control deck, commonly seen in Druid, Warrior, Paladin, and occasionally Warlock. All of your cards are either removal, powerful class minions, draw, utility, etc. Then you have a stack of the most impactful and game-ending legendaries. Generally Ragnaros AKA the 8/8 charge + divine shield for 8, Cairne AKA double yeti for 6, Sylvanas AKA 5/5 with Mind Control, Ysera AKA nigh unkillable wall of infinite card draw, and of course whatever your class' legendary is, since generally class legendaries are just plain must-haves.

The reason these decks are so good is they have the durability and control to survive rushdown attempts, then you pretty much just mindlessly slap legendaries/epics down on the board until the opponent runs out of answers and you win. Legendaries may be limited to 1 per card per deck, but you can have as many legendaries as you damn well please - meanwhile the opponent can only have two hexes, two polymorphs, two executes, etc.

Silence is an imperfect solution because against many decks silence is just an unnecessary loss of 2 stat points, and the availability in neutral cards is limited. Ironbeak Owl is a particularly sad case because it loses an additional stat point just for being a beast (although this makes it a very good card for ignoring taunts in hunter rush decks).

The other optimal way to play Hearthstone is frankly just as mindless. Seen mainly in Hunter and Warlock decks, but fairly viable for any deck but Priest, it's really prevalent at the moment because people have realized it's the only relatively successful strategy against legendary-stacked control decks - the pure rush, zoo or charge based deck. You ignore enemy minions and smack the other guy in the face. This relies on exactly the same principle as before - you're depending on the opponent running out of answers to your spam minions and dying before he can start slapping down his big legendaries. Again, you can have as many cheap charge/buff minions in your deck as you want, but the opponent only gets 2 whirlwinds, 2 wild pyromancers, 2 lightning storms, etc.

Mid-range decks honestly have no place in the game right now unless you're running double BGH and double faceless to deal with control, and a bunch of taunts and heals to deal with rushdowns. The problem is that this is a conflicting setup that makes your deck more luck-based and dependent on how you draw against what opponents, and splits up the central theme of your deck heavily. If you fail to draw enough of your taunts, heals, etc. against a rush and instead get your polymorphs, BGHs, facelesses, etc. you're done - and the opposite is true against control.

Honestly Hearthstone has a lot of problems right now, but it was never meant to be a competitive game. If you're really hating playing against heavily stacked legendary control decks, just do what everyone else does and run a charge/rushdown hunter or warlock zoo deck. You can get a deck capable of beating most unlucky control decks for real cheap.