• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ninja Brawl v0.72

Description
Samurai's Brawl is a two-hit fighting game, where play as a ninja or samurai in a small village. This is a skill based map where reaction, aim and brain is a factor to winning. All attacks can be dodged in one way or another. The abilities are also designed to have not just one, but several purposes. The terrain also have alot of different gameplay elements to make the map interesting such as buildings with cliff sight advantage, sight blocking hedges of grass and tall grass that makes you invisible when hiding within.

Features:
-AI
-Game modes: FFA, CTF, Oni
-Free for all/Teams
-4 classes to choose between
-3 maps to play on
-6 spells per class
-spells that can be comboed into kills
Contents

Ninja Brawl v0.72 (Map)

Reviews
00:53, 30th Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 12
The Assassination Mode is a cycle.

Well, I think that at least. Each one having a target and after killing the first target you'll get his own target looks awesome to me.

Edit: I guess it was to good to be true... A friend of mine helped me finding some flaws.

Samurai: His Dash is not really good, since it does small damage and does not slow or stun. Make it have a mini stun of 0.5 and make its CD shorter. Perhaps increasing the speed and range of Wind Gust. Also, his tornado is OP. Basicly, a undodgeable and ranged attack. Instead, make him have a fast arrow with the same damage as Dash. However, no cast. Also, maybe rename Dash to Leap.

Ninja: Incredibly underpowered. Make its Shurikens have a longer range, and instead of Transmutation...
Make a skill in which he casts for 1 second, then blinks towards a position (and before blinking, make a fast invisible shockwave of 55 dmg). Resuming, the skill could be Blinding Speed: Ninja focus for a second, then slash everything in a line faster than the eye can see. Or add that to the empty spell slot Ninja have. If you actually plan on removing Transmutation but can't think on something else, then tell me.

Kunoichi is the most balanced one, but still could be improved. Make Swift Charge a bit faster, and instead of lockdown, make her throw a poisoned needle (which would be a mix of slow poison and that Warden poison skill... don't remember the name.) 50% movement speed reduced and 3 damage per second during 10 seconds. (Most military women were very skilled at throwing needles, so makes sense.) And for the empty slot, a buff that give you 50% more attack speed for 6 seconds.

Glaivemaster: I lied about the Kunoichi, he's (she's? The description says this hero is a woman, but the model looks like a man...) the most balanced. The perfect ultimate for him would be some kind of fan knives. If making a custom version of it (making actual projectiles instead of just a aoe explosion) of shurikens. I don't know how much damage per shuriken there could be...

Also, I saw a pretty much interesting program named the Mortal Weapons of the East. Showed some nice things. All of them could be used to make more heroes, although I couldn't imagine of skills using them. There was a exception, however.

Monk: First thing about the Monk. Since he's using a staff, you might say his weapon wouldn't do as much as damage as the other weapons. That's simple: Just make him do 30 damage with double attack speed. Also, he's a Chi user! Thinking again, you could give him normal 55 damage, even being just a staff, because of his Chi. He enhances his staff with it :D About the skills... Heart Strike. Does 55 damage and stun the opponent for 1 second. Or, what would make it more heal, since the opponent's heart would be hit, would be to be 40/30 base damage and 3/5 slow poison damage during 5 seconds.. Description could be something about Chi. Then a skill with the area of a cone, with a great AoE, also doing 30 damage. Could be also called Chi Attack, extending the chi through the arms, through the staff, and a bit further, which explains the increased area. Then sometime of Wind Gust, but around all the Monk, with the speed and range of the current Samurai (And since the Samurai's wind gust, as I suggested, could be better, it would be balanced: area for speed and range.) For the fourth skill, I'll make the "teleportating" one. Using his Chi, the Monk levitates for 6 seconds, and is also a bit more faster. Or whatever else you think of. For the fifth skill...
I have absolutely no idea. You'll have to think that one out. For the ultimate, however, would be a bladespin with a cast time of one second with great AoE (thanks to Chi) and 20 damage during 3 seconds, also slowing everything caught by it.

Also, put animals on the map, for many reasons. First, if you keep the Transmutation, it will ACTUALLY allow the Ninja to mesh in the environment. And it will be more realistic. And make them respawn, since some creeps may actually die a lot with many AoE skills. Well, I don't know. Since you're "allied" to neutral pacific units such as animals, and your AoE skills don't target allies...

And don't forget about my ideas for more Arenas! (Not just one Castle Arena, but three urbanized arenas, one for each ammount of players, so that there are more options to choose... as I said before.)

And AGAIN, you might want to put some soundtrack on your map, but you don't want it to have lots of space. I've HEARD that a program named Imtoo Audio Decoder can shrink musics wonderfully and keep the same quality. Try it and see if it is truth. If it is, congratulations, SB will now have a soundtrack!

There it is. I hope that THIS time it will be flawless.

(I fear I may have made the Kunoichi OP, but if anything you'll just test with someone before releasing the official 0.70 version)

Level 24
Edit: I guess it was to good to be true... A friend of mine helped me finding some flaws.
The map does have flaws and i am well aware of them. After all i have had quite alot of groundtesting with a few players and different gamemodes.

Samurai:
-Dash is perfectly fine right now, it has alot of usefull uses such as escaping/chasing, during the flight you are invulnerable which serves as another dodge ability and the flinch (ministun + 1 sec slow) gives you a big advantage in a fight.
-Tornado is pretty harsh for any unexperienced players, but is countered by either running properly in circles or cancelling the channeling of it.

Ninja:
-Shurikens are not by any means underpowered, you can easily deal up to 70 damage with it. The main problem about the ability is that combo it easily with an attack to kill the opposing player compared to you. The only way to counter it is by stepping to the side which none ever seems to think of.
-Replacing Blinding Speed with Transmutation would make him OP as it is nearly instant and ruins the idea behind the hero. Francly im quite content with his current playstyle which is based on mindplay and strategy rather then a narrow approach to every fight. He might be a bit weak in the bigger picture because he approaches more carefully then the others, but then you can often use this to your advantage by stealing kills or supporting.

Kunoichi:
Actually the Kunoichi is the most imbalanced one, being able to slay twoshot if they have a poor timing or suck at predicting attacks.
-I have always considered adding a poison needle ability from the start, but theres no way it could be balanced in a good way making it dodgeable or counterable. It would'nt synergise well with her other abilities either. Right now she has a ton of synergising spells which is what makes her loveable and they are all close-combat based.

Glaivemaster:
The Glaivemaster was pretty much left unfinished, he's pretty weak right now with little to no protection, nets are obligatory to get on him - which needs to be reworked. I already know which spells to give him, though i haven't finished him yet:
-Spinning Blades: Makes 2 spinning blades around the hero which spins continously for a few seconds after channeling. These will chop anyone in melee range of him giving him superior protection.
-Hawk: Sends out a hawk in a similiar motion to the boomerang, giving a nice amount of vision. This works like a precautionary ability for him to avoid heroes with or to scout with. Reckless usement of this abillity could potentionally also give away his position.

The monk hero would be impossible to do unless i get a proper model.

Animals could potentially collide with heroes due to their collision size, could prove gamebreaking which is why i haven't added any. The Transmutation spell is more of a getaway ability, since the Samurai owned him pretty hard face to face.

Arenas take alot of time to make, but i will see what i can do.

I don't think adding a soundtrack to the map would be a very good idea, they take a huge amount of space and i would require atleast 2-3 songs to avoid them getting annoying. MP3 files take enough space as it is in a map, but the quality still sounds ****, optimizing it even more would create horrendous quality. Personally i always mute the music in any game i play, because i prefer my dear Spotify.

Last edited:
Level 12
-Samurai: It does ministun and slow? If it actually does, then add it to description. I still think however that tornado could be changed, but that's my own opinion.

-Ninja: Over here, it is the inverse. Every single person I've played with actually manage to dodge it, always. If people dodge the only damaging ability (besides ult) that ninja has, he's pretty much destroyed. Still think. And you can only deal that much damage if the enemy is actually on the area of the skill, which means:
He's heading to attack you. Depending on how close he is, he either attacks you while you are casting the skill, which pretty much nulifies it; or get hit by some few shurikens, not enough to be able to combo with a hit.
He was running away from you. Unless you use a net or use it at a exact timing (which is really hard) he will get hit by one, perhaps two shurikens.
Although the idea is good, and since Shurikens aren't that good, Smoke Bomb gets bad too without much good to do. Of course, it have much uses. But usually, you're out and people can see you nearby it, to procede to ignore the smoke bomb, or you're inside, and people just hit with everything they got. Another Ninjas use Shurikens (or try to), Samurai use wind gust or dash (Also, what exactly does Wind Gust do to those people inside Smoke Bomb and etc? I could not figure it out.) Glaivemaster use both ranged attacks. What COULD be done is that Smoke Bomb would be used near tall grass, people would charge into it, and then Ninja would Shuriken them. However, that limits the uses of Smoke Bomb to be used in conjunction with tall grass, and after sometime, people would figure it out. Transmutation is... Fleetfoot without the ability to attack, pretty much. Can only be used to run away. Most of his abilities are used to run away, not much of an ASSASSIN here. Ninja, yes. Assassin, no. That's why perhaps one more damaging ability could be good. Perhaps a kunai that explodes on touch? Or ACTUALLY give the Spike Trap to the Ninja, so he can use it with the Smoke Bomb. And first, I liked Ninja too; his style I meant. Popping a smoke bomb, playing some tricks here and there, but its problem is: it takes too much time to actually kill somoene. Even if I do hit the Shurikens, I would still have to get NEAR him to get the final strike. Transmutation won't allow you to attack, and if you orb behind him, he will still run away. If you orb with him, he still runs away. If you orb in front of him, you'll propably hit him anyway. He's not really a assassin. He needs something bufffed... If the damaging skill is not possible, then at least buff Smoke Bomb and Shurikens.

-Kunoichi: I've suggested increasing speed of swift charge because you can't ever GET someone with it. It is too slow to actually get to anyone running. But then, you may say: There is lockdown! But lockdown is a skill to which I found no practical uses. Everytime I tried using it I began to cast but the person either just run out of the range and I lose some precious ground, or it comes to attack me, and I actually get damaged trying to make the person stay near me, when he was going nearby me already. After all, if she's the only one without a ranged attack, then she SHOULD have good mobility. You could add Blinding Speed! Or just a blink. Or perhaps increase the goddamn speed of Swift Charge!

-Glaivemaster: There's not space for 2 more abilites, and he does not have a ult... Well, I don't have many issues with him.

-Monk: But that's the least of the problems! You could just use the one of the thousands models Hiveworkshop have. After the announcement of Monk Class on Diablo III, people made tons of it. You may not feel very original, but until you find another model, it is all you got. If you actually plan to use D3's model, I suggest downloading the unprotected version of Diablo III Beta from Cloud Wolf and exporting their Monk Model.

Again, from what I HEARD from Imtoo audio decoder, it could shrink 10x and still retain a lot of quality. You should TRY it first before actually denying it. Really. Try it.

Level 24
I do think some Ninja and Kunoichi changes are in order.

Glaivemaster will be overall buffed slightly with instant Sonicboom (to teleport more easily, but only 1 boom now) and faster Rapidblade.

The D3 monk model wouldn't fit in with all the other models (besides it looks terrible). Only Black Stan model's fit in.

I could get to work soon as im nearly done with the new update for Island Domination, just need to finish up some artwork.

Level 12
Is it not instant already? You don't have to cast it...

Rapid Blade? I remember only the Cutter and the Shuriken...

So you actually found a model? Nice.

Also, you did not tell me what Wind Gust does aside from knockback...

Edit: Abandoned?

Level 12
Oh. That's a damn shame. Although I do not know about Forged Warfare and Island Domination, I did what I can to spread Samurai's Brawl (which for some reason, despite its awesomeness, did not catch on battle net D:) and I often see people playing Prison Break.

Edit: I've just read up the description of both Island Domination and Forged Warfare and they seem to be pretty awesome, as much as the two maps I already know. You're a great editor, with original ideas of story and gameplay... And yet, your maps do not get hosted, for the exception of Prison Break. Y U IS NOT FAMOUS? D:

I'm going to give you +rep where I can because you just deserve it. Despite the bad taste for maps of some players.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I hate this map from the bottom of my heart. I suck so badly at it, but its not entirely me. There are few things that I think are ok to say, even though I can't stand to lose to mindless AI... Nudl9 fix the AI so it can LOSE :D (obvious ego problem here)

No seriously, the AI wins me everytime

#1 - Its all dodge/attack
Kinda reminds me of Savage2. If you played Savage2 you know what I mean. Even though its awesome with all different units and abilities and items, its all about block/attack and only melee. Because only melee wins. Same here - you put many abilities that aren't even useful when all you need is dodge/attack. The glaivemaster - completely useless. Well he is good for feeding though, but anything else... nah.

#2 - Pots need targeting
Yes that is exactly what I look for when I play FFA and there are 2 bots after me, 1 waiting at the bush and the other just respawned. I click the pot and I can accurately click my portrait without me... damnit I died with a full inventory of pots... again...

Team play pots != FFA pots. Make pots for FFA, without targeting... please...... before they kill me again :3

#3 - Y I can't kill everyone and live
I like that in maps... the ability to manslaughter everything and live to tell about it. And buy more items and do it again. only faster... with more sharp knives or forbidden magic... in here though, I'd be lucky if I can dodge the next attack...

There is no consistency and no balance. There is uniqueness, yes. Unexpected ambush ninjas, leaping samurai, throwing glaivemasters and the boooobies class... but no balance. You can't depend on anything but dodge. I've died in windwalk. I've died in stealth. I've died when they clearly hit the illusion. I've died from unknown heart condition (probably just didn't dodge that one)

Long story short (less ego treatment for myself, because I suck at this game) - besides dodge and attack, everything else is glitter on the cake. Its meant to shine and look nice, but it doesn't do anything. Sometimes it just gets you killed you think that stealth > then ultimate > then trap > then bombs > yada yada will combo the XXXX out of the enemy, he just comes and kills you. Period

I love everything about this map, but I hate to lose at it. And I hate your bots. Really really hate them. But I love the pretty houses and that I can climb on them... before they decide to Steven Seagal their way on the roof and kill me.

Level 24
I've kind of discontinued the map due to lack of popularity and own interest.

Anyway here's my reply as for your review:

#1: Heh i've played Savage 2, kinda liked it and i do get your point. A ranged class has been on my mind and i've seriously considered changing the Glaivemaster into a ranged class. Possibly even making all attacks manual abilities, i've yet to experiment with this. I don't think The Glaivemaster is lacking in any ways, but his playstyle simply isn't suited very much to the game. It's all about setup and predictability and not so much instant combat.

#2: Pot idea is actually quite nice, will consider it if i ever actually pick up working on the map. (Not unlikely)

#3:
Well might want to reconsider your actions before rushing into battle, keeping the coldowns in check might be good idea and preferably a nearby escape route.

Balance is based on online play with real players, not around the AI players. The AI was purposedly made for testing as i do not have the ability to host games, lack people to do it for me or any volunteers for that matter.
I mean the AI is pretty predictable in it's way of never backing down, path's and combat. It even overrides situations where invisibility is involved because they have instant reaction time unlike real players. The only thing i've done to make them more realistic is random actions and delay to make them seem a little more alive.

But hey i got alot of sparetime so i might pick it up for the enjoyment of doing some mapmaking. Got the to-do-list ready atleast:
>Finish the classes and bugs
>Fix FFA/Team Pot
>Improve AI in ways possible: objective play, roof jumping, more variable movement (camping, hesitation, escape), approach stealth enemy delay, etc
>Do manual attack?

Level 12
sentrywiz made me think... You should really make the skills more powerful, and perhaps more complicated... So that they are the difference between a good player and an AWESOME player. (Basic strategy and understadning of mechanisms are the difference between bad and good already.)

Level 24
UnHolyDarKness@Not quite sure, but you should be able to find it here on hiveworkshop. However i would not recommend using it since it's an fps sink. Been looking for an alternative francly.

SasuhKun@I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the goal has and is for the game to be simple to learn, but hard to master.

Been eagier to release a new version, but i've run up against a wall with the boomerang and ultimate of the glaive character. Will see what i can do, but i've got alot of different projects going on currently.

Level 12
Ahn, yes, that's what I meant. But even if you are a master, I feel that it wouldn't be enough. I'm suggesting buffing the skills, although making their use more difficult perhaps. Or maybe just buff them, I don't know if their difficulty lvl is enough for now.