1. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Melee Mapping contest Pre-disscusion

Discussion in 'Contest Submission' started by Mr.Henci, Feb 17, 2019.

?

What maps would you like to create for the next contest?

1. 1v1

55.6%
  2. 2v2

72.2%
  3. 3v3

22.2%
  4. 4v4

5.6%
  5. 4 Players FFA

33.3%
  6. 6 Players FFA

5.6%
  7. 8 Players FFA

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I got good and bad news - I asked ToD and he's also too busy. But I got a positive reply from Ena1337 ( Frozen Throne - Northrend - ENA1337 - Player Profile , Twitch ). So he would be another nomination from my side. I still like the idea of a trio of a caster, a top player and a map maker. Chaco would fulfill the role of the caster, Ena as current #57 on ladder would in my view qualify as a skilled player but if only I knew a place where we could find a talented mapmaker...

So seriously - Chaco and Ena would be great in my opinion. So I'd love some mod or admin to get into contact with them. Chaco already posted here that he's willing.

2. mafe

mafe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So here is my preview about the the next contest. There might also be a bit of prize money, but it isnt 100% guaranteed yet. Also I will not release the names of th judges yet, as there will be some special surprises ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MELEE MAPPING CONTEST #4

Create a 2v2 melee map that excels in balance, terrain and creativity, while being suitable for Warcraft III Reforged.

[​IMG]
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
      • You must submit your entry before the deadline. To submit your final entry, you must upload the entry's contents as a bundle in the Maps Section, and link to that bundle in this thread confirming the submission.
      • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges may not participate.
    • Your final submission must be bug free.
    • Teamwork is allowed under following conditions: Up to two people may work jointly on a contest submission. If you want to enter as a team, both participants must state this in the contest thread.
      • Prize money will be evenly shared between both mappers.
      • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
      • You can participate either in one team or as a single contestant.
    • No custom imports are allowed.
    • Triggers are not allowed.
    • Only one entry per contestant or team.
    • For melee maps, any gameplay altering data may not be changed. (No custom units/spells/buffs. Destructibles/objects may be changed, however we would highly apreciate, if you wouldn't do so.)
    • To participate in this contest, register by stating your intention in this thread. There will be a limit of 25 submissions. A list of registered participants will be available in the post below this one. Please also leave a note if you know that won't be able to finish your map in time, so that your spot can be taken by someone else instead.
    • Please also consider the FAQ in first post after this thread.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

[​IMG]

• 1st place: 30 reputation points and €xx through paypal.
    • 2nd place: 15 reputation points and €xx through paypal.
    • 3rd place: 5 reputation points and €xx through paypal.
    • Judge: 15 reputation points

The three winning entries will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

[​IMG]

• TBD

[​IMG]

Balance: Is the map balanced for both teams? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced? Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops. 50/100
    Terrain: Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive? 35/100
    Creativity & Uniqueness: Does the map bring something new or creative to the table? This should primarily refer to gameplay, but terrain may also be included. 15/100
    Bugs: Scores may be brought down if there are bug-like issues such as faulty pathing, unusable resources, etc.

• 80% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges.
    • 20% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    [​IMG]

• The contest shall begin on March 16 and conclude on April 23th, 23:59 GMT
    Assigned Moderator: @Naze

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. mafe

mafe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have also created a FAQ to be included in the contest thread. It is not fully complete yet, but anyway:
    What is a melee map? A melee map is map that is suitable for unaltered wc3 gameplay. The kind of maps you play on when you to battle.net and hit
    How can I tell if my map is a melee map? Set game data to default and play your map. When you have all 8 heroes in the tavern, your map is fine. Alternatively, when you open your map in the World Editor, there is a small text in the bottom right which says Melee map: Yes or No. If you hover your mouse over this text, it will give indicators your why your map is not considered a melee map. Sometimes (for example, if you open a map that has been created in an World Editor with a different language setting), it will still say it isnt a melee map, but will nevertheless work as a default melee map.
    Why this restrictive setting? I could just make sure it is a melee map by setting game datat to "Melee (latest patch)"? @Kam has stated before that in order to be considered for Battle.net, melee maps should satisfy the "Melee Map: Yes" condition, see here: Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1 . So this condition is set to ensure all maps entries will satisfy this condition, as the dream of almost all melee mappers is to have their maps adopted by blizzard. If you are not happy with this, then unfortunately this contest is not for you, but nothing prevents you from uploading and sharing your map anyway.
    Why doesnt the contest start right away? Participants shall have enough time to consider if they want to work as a team and talk to pontential partners without missing time during which they could be working on their maps. Also during the previous melee mapping contests, there have always been some questions about rules and other stuff which should better be answered before the contest itself begins.
    Please define "2v2 map". For this contest, maps shall be rated with respect to how suitbale they are for 2v2. If your map is also playable for other game modes such as 1v1, FFA,... is not relevant for this contest, neither positively nor negatively.
    What does "ready for reforged mean"? While I'm not entirely sure where I heard it, but if I remember correctly a blizzard employee said that maps using only data that is included in the World Editor by default can be ported to Reforged without any problems. This seems to imply that if you import resources for your map, this might cause issues with respect to portign the map to Reforged.
    Why the limit of participants? It is to limit the number of submissions that the judges will have to review, as these reviews will take a lot of time if taken seriously, and the judges are doing this in their own free time. However, if it is foreseeable that there is much greater interest in this contest than anticipated, this topic can be discussed further.
    Any further explanations about teamwork? There are probably some issues if someone tries to insist on a very "creative" interpretation of the rules. Please try to be reasonable. Other than that, it would of course be good idea to find teams of people who complement each other well, for example an experienced player (with little mapping experience, but knowledge about gameplay and balance) and an experienced mapper (who already knows some tricks about the editor, but maybe isnt playing too much).

If you have any questions or believe something should be resolved before the contest starts, please leave a comment. If there are no obstacles, I will publish the contest this evening or tomorrow (european time).

4. Cigaro

Cigaro

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you wish to recruit top tier players for testing (which is generally a splendid idea), it might be reasonable to give them only the very best maps. Do a standard round of judging beforehand, sort out the best 3, 4 or 5 maps and pass them on to expert balance testing.

Cause I imagine it's pretty tiresome to play through some 15 to 20 maps, and I'd prefer more in-depth analysis of the best maps over a superficial analysis of all maps. I don't mean to disrespect the creators of the "weaker" maps (and even if unbalanced, they might still be fun to play), but if the idea is to pass maps on to Blizzard, then it would be reasonable to take a much closer look at those few.

Perhaps ask the testers you've had in mind what they think about the work load. If they have fun, they will be in for the upcoming contests as well. I've always found it hard to find good players and they typically preferred to stick with one or two maps that you improved continually, rather than testing a new map every day.

Additionally, you could give the maps an additional "outview" rating that's not part of the final points. Some maps are faulty by their basic design while others only need a bit of item drop fixing to be playable already. Small mistakes cost big points in the tournaments (and rightfully so), but sometimes the second best map is actually the more promising one, if only it received some repairs.

5. Khaldaiel

Khaldaiel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess there is a small typo in here...

But that wasn't the point of this message... The point was : "YEAAAAHHHHHH !!!" Glad to see the contest building up, and the surprises are only spicing it up !

6. mafe

mafe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just to clarify the terms: Testing ist something that is up to the map developers to decide how they want to approach. If they can find pro players then great! The judges of this contest will review the maps after the contest has concluded. It is up to them to decide how they create their reviews. Ideally, this should involve test games, but I wouldnt blame a judge if, for example, he decides that some maps are just not worth the investing a large amount of time into reviewing them and just states a few obvious reasons.
    See above, I consider this up to the judges to decide. However, I also hope that these contest will attract new people to making melee maps. Anyone entering deserves at least some kind of feedback, especially as an encouragement for new mappers.
    I'm not sure if we will proactively pass maps on to blizzard. My assumption is that blizzard are paying attention to what's going on here anyway (see Kams comment in the FAQ).
    There is definitely a point to this argument. It's just that this process isnt compatible with a contest.
    Sometimes judges have already included it, but yes, that sounds like a good idea to explicitly include it.
    Probably not a typo, more like an error due to english not being my native language. I'll see if I can express it more clearly ;)

7. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I do like the idea Cigaro proposed here about making the judgment a two-stage process and I actually have been in some juries for architectural contests that worked that way. However, I think it is too late for this very soon upcoming contest to implement this concept now. But we should talk about this for the fifth one. I could then also explain how these architectural contests work (here).

8. mafe

mafe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've added some more questions to the FAQ.
    Unfortunately due to a misunderstanding, I will have to remove the part about w3il having a look at the maps. I probably should have waited a few days longer before mentioning this. Sorry.
    This does not mean that they will definitely ignore the maps, just that nothing is certain at the moment.

I also clarified that the "creativity" category shall primarily focus on gameplay, but can also include terrain.

9. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A totally not cheeky question - can one be in multiple teams, or be in a team while also making a map on his own?

10. mafe

mafe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thats what I tried to clarify by the sentence @Khaldaiel pointed out... Let me quickly fix it and then it should be clear (I hope).

edit: Is it clearer now? Also, please read the FAQ xD

11. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A lot stuff in RL here and there, but I am willing to participate.

Until 16 march.

Thanks a lot @mafe.

And
    Good luck to everybody who will contest.

12. Keito

Keito

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can we signup already? If so, I'd like to participate ;>

13. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 Glad to see you back, Rag.

@Keito Technically, signups are done in the contest thread that mafe has yet to post. The wait is killing us all :cgrin:

14. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea... it feels like everyone's at the starting line, pawing the ground

15. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    I want to be in multiple teams :p

16. mafe