Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

New Site Discussion

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Gilles, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Razosh

Razosh

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll have to agree, that's the whole point of having moderators who can approve of models and maps and take them off the forum.

2. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In a manner that way would work the same way as I assume reputation was intended, however be more accurate to an extend.

I see it as something like the intern idea used on other sites, where a user can obtain a position of influence, yet must prove himself further to advance so to speak. Not that this in any way should be related to staff recruitment, but more as an example how a visual cue can give people a reason to better themselves. Of course it is with limits, so if they prove unable to retain said reason for acquiring their distinction, they will lose it.

Still I do also understand why you would find that is pointless Ralle, but its not just to help the moderators - it is also to make it easier for the regular user to get an understanding of input that might have meaning for the site or in case of the discussion forum to create a possible outlet for reason, yet also an openness that keeps those interested informed and allow them the feeling of being cued in. Something that for instance several kickstarter projects have learned the value of. Knowing why an action takes place or what might influence it, increases the user's interest and devotion to the site - by making them feel "needed" so to speak. Hope that made some sort of jumbled sense.

3. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just going to throw in there that having some distinguishing feature on users to help with this is a bad idea.

4. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, yea - it should be a simple one. Not anything to give an impression of a superior position. Could be like the merit award?

5. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was wrong, I stand corrected then.

6. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will not cast my vote to exclude members from such a discussion.
    Afterall, many of which is the future of the Hive.
    If you feel some users post are not as contructive as you would like them to be, then either skip reading them or try to educate them :)

With that being said, I'm open for suggestions and ideas for improval regarding the theme-style(s). And a thread where users could discuss such ideas should be open to everyone.

We may even invite those we feel could prove invaluable to the creation of the theme onboard the development team ;)

7. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    We were all new users at one stage or another, disallowing a new user access to somewhere just because they're newly registered is most certainly not going to convince them to stay and reach the required criteria for access.

8. Keiji

Keiji

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What I get from that is this "fairness" attitude again, as I've previously stated, it shouldn't be about
    what's "fair" and what's "not fair," it should be about what's "efficient" and what "isn't efficient."

I also don't think new users will crawl up their arses and leg it simply because they can't access one tiny sub-forum
    which only function is the future of the site. And who's to say it should take very "long" time to merit access?

Also, tell me, whenever anyone of you were completely new to this site, did you actually,
    honestly and sincerely care for what changes the site would go through?
    - I know I didn't.

I don't see how this is an argument against the suggestion, they can still be the future
    of the hive without having access to one part of the site from the gecko. I really think
    people are exaggerating the point of how... Unfair this seems >.>

Such as the one I stated I might be in favor of? If so, then do tell why you think so.
    I don't really see how it's more, or less, useless than having a separate sub-forum.
    - Well, actually I do see the better use of a sub-forum, but I don't consider visual
    difference "completely useless" either.

9. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That would entirely depend on what access is restricted. Not every user can join staff right from the get go, nor can they read those staff related forums, nor do they have access to MT.

Still they do stick around and they work toward being able to access it. They hope to gain it. Honestly how many would be interested in a staff position if everyone had it?

However if it was something essential then I can only agree. I hate forums that for instance disallow creation of threads or posts of certain length until one has proven themselves by getting e.g. a certain amount of rep or returns comments or something other trivial. That is what keeps me from going back to those sites - however Hive aren't like that, nor do I believe this as I see it would lead to that situation. For more about what I see it as we return to Archian's comment:

Well that would serve pretty much the same purpose, without the openness about it by allowing others to look. :wwink:

10. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This. I don't see why people are stuck in a perpetual loop surrounding the idea that this is unfair and not user friendly. People can still post in the regular SD and, if they are vested in the idea of it, work towards being more invested i.e. being allowed in the moderated forum. If they don't want to be vested in the site, then why would they even post in SD, let alone on a level beyond that?

If anything MT is (theoretically) a way more elitist idea than an intermediate committee to discuss how the forum is (read: could be) managed.

This is so classic THW. Along comes someone with a decent idea and happens to exemplify rep/post count/physical age for benchmark, and people are so thrown into a fit about it they suck all the content out of the post and discuss the hollow example. Kinda like a weasel sucks the yolk out of an egg while leaving the shell intact.

tl;dr

11. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't remember exactly what everyone said, but having some visual difference seems redundant. As stated, I can already sift through posts by looking at user names, post count, rep, and awards. They are all located in the same spot so it doesn't take that long. I don't think it's a bad idea, just not really worth it.

To those saying that what I just mentioned is enough, I agree somewhat, but I'm a lazy person and I know I'm not alone.

It simplifies things and allows me (and others) to read far less posts and I don't have to worry about repeating an idea I happened to skip because there were too many posts to go through. I don't come on here everyday (although I am right now) and it would allow people like me* to keep up with things without reading 12 pages.

*Users that have been here for a long time and lurk off and on.

12. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not sure I understand your point, but just in case that I wrote in a way that can be misunderstood, let me clarify what I am talking about; having the limit not in regards to restricted forums or not access to staff, but instead having requirements for posting, using emotions or whatever based upon values that might be hard to obtain given the limits imposed on the new user from the get go.