1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by Icedrake, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Icedrake

Icedrake

Resources:
    Resources:
    A debate has been going on recently over something called Net Neutrality. If you have no idea what this is, then please take a look at this article before leaving a comment, or read the excerpt from the article below: http://lifehacker.com/5720407/an-in...it-means-for-you-and-what-you-can-do-about-it.

If you want a quick overview of what is in the article of which the link I gave, without having to read the whole thing (its quite long and thorough for an online article), then read this direct quote below:

What is your opinion on this, and where do you stand in this debate? I personally believe that the internet should remain free; that is what has allowed it to prosper to what it has become today. If the internet becomes more controlled, who knows what governments could do.

Please be respectful of each other and follow all Hive rules when posting. Also, why did I post this topic here rather than off topic? Because I'm pretty sure that some immature troll would ruin the thread if it was in Off topic. Medivh's Tower is for mature people, so I'm assuming people will have a decent discussion here.

2. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did u know that they (well this is in America) are trying to put taxes on each time u use the internet (donno if this is true... but my economics teacher told me this, and i trust him :p).

But as for my opinion :

I guess u gotta consider "Can i create my own internet?" and if not, then well i guess u have to obey the providers rules no matter what the circumstance is... sure it may be cruel to you... but they are the ones who provide it... if you don't provide it, then u have to buy it simple as that, no matter what the price is... but i do agree that they should not abuse this... luckily competition settles in and prices are all different... if there was a monopoly going on then well... hardly ne1 would have internet unless the price is reasonable..

but yes i do indeed wish internet should be free... but it seems business is far more important then others' happiness

3. Zarathustra

Zarathustra

Resources:
    Resources:
    In principle, I'm for it. Unfortunately, I know that any time the US legislature passes a bill with an especially lofty name, you can count on it doing the exact opposite of what that name indicates. Just look at the Patriot Act.

4. Icedrake

Icedrake

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree. Did you see the picture in the article itself, the one where it shows an internet company with having to pay extra for the most popular sites? I'm afraid that's what our internet will soon be like, and our internet providers.

5. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol yes i did....

So pretty much the good search engines and youtube (i only use these out of them) i will pay $5, r u kidding me?? this is absolute madness... but it would hopefully allow other people to make other good websites... but still google and youtube... WTH, that is just horrible if they are doing this

6. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm against it.

Unfortunately, there is no real win in regards to this though. Granted the ISP companies would love to charge you and your services, but both no matter who wins internet censoring will likely follow.

Then again, in the US the companies own the government... so whatever happens they'll be fine. All they have to do is bitch about it's unfairness enough to convince most americans that'll ruin the economy.

Since the internet is the primary source of information, those in power want to control it. Control it and thus control any who use it.

//\\oo//\\