1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Nerubian Race Ideas & Design

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by SgtWinter, Mar 23, 2019.

1. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^^ The Widow has that as an ability.

For Evolution, it'll depend on what abilities the unit has (which might be subject to change).

Brood Host could also create eggs that work as Pocket Factories, spawning Spiderlings and Arachnids with Evolution.

2. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. Evolutions - Well, I have no problem with them being an extra upgrade. It is really unique way of providing upgrade to your units, and it perfectly fits Nerubian theme.
    Skitterer - Gives them ability to move while burrowed
    Webspinner - When killed spawn lesser Webspinner with reduced stats.
    Stinger - Gives them 2 times bouncing attacks.
    Horror - Give them ability to transport up to 10 units.
    Brood Host - Allows it to "Consume" friendly units for extra mana. ICON: BTNVenomousBite
    Reaver - Learns "Acid Blood" (Causes it to drop a pool of acid upon death, dealing damage to all nearby enemies.) ICON: BTNToxicSkin
    Devourer - Give them ability to "Summon Broodlings". Summon 2 Broodlings that can't attack, but they got "Explode". Dealing X damage to all nearby enemy units. MODEL: Crypt Mother ICON: BTNSpiders

2. I don't know. Only other possible solution is to find a guy who is willing to animate all of these models. But it won't happen, so I have really no idea. Personally, I am not bothered with a lack of animation. It would be better if they had one, but it is what it is, custom models are majority of the time missing something.

3. I really like that "Spew Hatchling" idea. It is similar to Swarm Hosts from Starcraft II. But, then you need to give them bigger mana pool or easier way of providing them with corpses.

3. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dunno about the Reaver, on-death abilities are generally given to low-HP units.

Maybe have it gain an ability while buried, like a siege-range attack.

4. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The gods has kindly and graciously given me a gift! Nerubian Widow has a burrow animation now thanks to Hermit!

I love this community. Full of great and helpful people!

I'm planning on re-implementing Evolution! Just not as a unique caster ability. Each unit will have an instant Forced Evolution ability upon reaching T3 tech (or I can make it a research-able upgrade). It basically morphs the unit back into an egg with a timer. They lose half of their current health but gain an ability (mostly passive) and some bonus stat boosts. It costs 50 gold and 50 lumber to use Evolution (or 100 / 100 for some units)

Here's a list of Evolutions:
    Hunters (Arachnid) > Tunneling Claws (Passive) - Allows the Hunter to move while burrowed.
    Webspinner > Webspinner Hatchlings (Passive) - Allows Webspinners to spawn Lesser Webspinners upon death.
    Stinger > Corroding Armor (Passive) - Stinger attacks reduces the armor of enemy units.
    Horror > Melting Acid (Passive) - Causes it to drop a pool of acid upon death.
    Ambusher (New unit) > Cloak (Active) - Turns invisible but drains mana - OR - Cloak (Passive) - Turns invisible when standing still regardless of time of day.
    Spiderlord (Glacial Reaver) > Wrath (Passive) - Attacks deal splash damage but attack speed is significantly slower.

Devourer doesn't get Evolution. I could probably replace the Vizier's third ability with something more supportive. Extra damage isn't really their thing, perhaps an ability that gives a target armor? I haven't really thought ahead yet.

I'm also working on fixing my Spawning system so I can put upgrades onto the Tier 1 Halls and Spawning Pit. (Since putting upgrades on buildings that can spawn units from cocoons apparently breaks it) Having everything on the Reliquary kinda sucks.

5. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds great. Can't wait to check it out. I was O.K. with having everything in Reliquary, it reminded me on Royal Laboratory from CotF campaign.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Posting to subscribe. Love custom races & Nerubians.

7. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here are some ideas for hero abilitites

Emanating web - like ensnare but use web as a buff, it will allow you to both bring down air units and stop ground units to make them easier to destroy. You can also change around the entangling roots ability to deal damage to the target, but I don't believe you can target air units with this

Summon spiderlings - summon 1 to 3 spiderlings to help the hero

Envenomed fangs - deals damage over time to the attacked unit, use envenomed spears to create this ability

Spider Lord - produces a cacoon that after a short period becomes a giant spider, like a summoned but the spider is not hatched if the caving is destroyed

8. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh wow people are still commenting on this thread? Thought it was dead by now.

Unfortunately I've been really busy as of late so I don't really have time to work on this custom race often. Although, personally I think the current version is 95% finished already (albeit with a few issues).

My PC broke down so I lost my latest Nerubian update with the Evolution thing, and remaking the evolution triggers are a pain in the butt so I honestly don't know what I should do now. I have an old backup without the Evolutions and I might go back and finish it next week, but for now I don't think I'll be re-implementing Evolution (sadly).