• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm currently working on a life simulator that allows anyone to build houses, buy furniture, get a job, change clothing, buy more land, and do whatever you want.

It's very much like The Sims, but much more advanced than say Life of a Peasant or the real life games. I'm currently contructing the wall set with color changable wall paper, then I'll be creating the animated male and female models along with the nessisary furniture and attachments.

Edit: Here are the specs ATM

Map Name: Neighborhood
Creator: TheRandomDude
Progress: Development Stage
This is only the announcement of a project i'll be developing for the next few weeks
If anyone is interested in helping me create this map, please PM me and I'll be happy to distribute my work as an open source project. I will post what I have after I create the basic house construction kit.

Last edited:
Level 6
Nope I didn't bring that up, but yes it will be multiplayer. As many people as I can possibly get into the map so that the user has the capability of having a very dynamic community. Non custom content will be cut to a minimum though I hope I can keep the size down to 4 megs so it can be transfered on battle.net

Level 6
yez, very much so. Here is the First screenshot of the wall set, i'm going to be making a door and window set next.

It's up to operator if he wants to add to the code or not, it wouldn't be moral of me to use his triggering data or certain elements. Let me get the rest of the wall set done and post it, then we'll go from there. Also I guess I should tell you, I was the terrainer for Life of a Peasant 2, adding the beach, forest, farms, etc. so I do have some experience in these life sims, but i'm slow as hell at triggering.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Level 6
Heres the next little improvement, it's a 3 way and 4 way wall to add on to the collection. Tomorrow i'll work on windows and doors, i just wanted to make sure I got this stuff done first.

Edit: Check out the new windows! aren't they purdy? maybe i'll even add a little open and shut animation for em.

Attachments

• Wall34.jpg
    Wall34.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Level 7
RandomDude, I was a beginner so I mean no offense but what I see from your screenshot is "your models looks not alike belongs to a war3 maps" and I think you must make your own terrain...

Level 6
oh most definitely, thats what i'm working on right now, the theme is going to be very cartoon looking (including the characters).

Heres a looksie at the tileset i'm developing, i've just gotta make a road texture and the only texture you can build on as a plot of land (sort of a grid texture)

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Level 6
I just finished making the last alterations to the model set, i'm going to post the map i've been working in below, along with a picture of all the models togeather. If you have any suggestions pertaining to the model set, please share them. You can also see the finished product tileset, which for the moment i'm quite happy with

Edit: Gonna attach a picture of the new cursor here, i may change it around before i'm done with it :D

Another Edit: By request, i've enclosed the 3DS models for the wall pack so you can animate them at your will.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Neighborhood.w3x
    218.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 105
  • HumanCursor1.jpg
    HumanCursor1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 125
  • WallPack.zip
    44.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 6
Character Development

Yep, i've started the long dark process of making and animating a 3D dude for my map. He/She going to have to have a lot of animations as you might guess, a simple face, changable clothing, and the ability to sit.

So while I edit this guy step by step, i'll be putting out furniture and all sorts of other dealies for my map, Heres a screenshot of the dude at this point along with the newest version of the map (I've cleaned up the names and added the new cursor to this one, but it's still just a sandbox)

Attachments

• WireFrameShot.jpg
    WireFrameShot.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Neighborhood.w3x
    261.3 KB · Views: 73
Level 6
The school semester started up again, so it's going to be a little slower for now. I have a new screenshot of the unit I'm animating atm in wc3.

He may not look quite as expected, but thats only because hes the base for body parts and clothing to be added on as attachments. Even the face will have a bunch of attachments for eyes, mouth and nose. As you can see also, i'm gravitating towards greys and other neutrals for the ground texture, although i'm still not satisfied.

Attachments

• Male3ingame.jpg
    Male3ingame.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 181
Level 10
I only have one question: How will you keep this below 4 megas? OTher than that, THIS IS AWESOME O.O!!!
Hey, If you need any help I can help with (not likely, for you are way more advanced then me), please tell me!

Level 6
Heh, well with everything togeather the map is about 364kbs so far. I think if I continue to use only one texture like I have and keep the poly count down, this will definitely be under the 4 meg limit

Also pertaining to offering help, I'm truly awful at triggering. If anyone wants to help they can troubleshoot these components.

Random road/property generator
Random terrain/tree generator
(more of a random hope, but it would be nice to have a completely different map each time you played)

Build mode: I'd like to make it so you can build walls with the arrow keys, starting from a point and then building a wall whichever way the user types. Also be able to select a wall and build a window or door from it.

Tilesets: I could always use tilesets, i've had a hard time pinning down the right look for this map so i'll take any submissions or suggestions anyone can offer.

Level 6
Also pertaining to offering help, I'm truly awful at triggering. If anyone wants to help they can troubleshoot these components.

Random road/property generator
Random terrain/tree generator
(more of a random hope, but it would be nice to have a completely different map each time you played)

Dont try to do too complicated map...you wana make roads/trees to random places or just change the type of them? Atleast there is this kind of trigger:

if you want terrain type to be random i would suggest:
(Event: map intializition)
(Condition:If random number between 1 and 10 equal to 1)
(Action: Enviroment - Change terrain type at (center of playable map area) to Lordareon summer - Dirt using variation -1 blaa blaa.....)

If you want more different types it will be more work of course...I wont want to do this tought. I can only give advice how to do it....

Level 10
I fould an easy, yet very quick way to get trees randomly!
Events:
Time- Elapsed time is 1:00 seconds
Conditions:
none
Actions:
Destructible - Create a summer Tree Wall at (random point in Playable Map area facing random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0

The underlined CTRL-C CTRL-V ed around, lets say fifteen times, and voila, trees will apear RANDOMLY on your map!
Now terrain is a wee bit more tricky, Ill try to think of something that makes it logical ><.
BTW: I cant see the cursor in the "updated" map, could you fix that please?
Ps: I love the map,s idea!

Level 6
OK, i've done some tinkering and made up a good terrain generator for your amusement. I'll upload the newest rendition of the map with the cursor fixed and the wireframe guy which is still in alpha(thanks matyko, no idea how that got screwed up)

Attachments

• Terraintest.w3x
    18.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Neighborhood1.w3x
    371.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Level 6
OK, i've done some tinkering and made up a good terrain generator for your amusement. I'll upload the newest rendition of the map with the cursor fixed and the wireframe guy which is still in alpha(thanks matyko, no idea how that got screwed up)

that terrain generator is pretty impressive. alltought i have no use for it :)

Level 10
Im already almost finished with the building system (though its based on the previous vesion of the map, and I had to set the cursor back to show the default (UD/NE/HU/OR) cursors), I had to stop to sleep, and now Im at school, but its almost complete, some bugs here and there, but I'll fix that today if I can.
You'll get the build system by tommorow at the latest!
Ps: Ill go check out the terrain generator once I get home, sounds intereting!

Level 6
Thanks Matyko, I can't wait to see it in action :D. I'm currently working on a website to better suit discussion and design the remaining components.

Yeh buddha, it was more of a proof of concept and the reason why the edges are usually a little funky is the fact that the triggers are set up to be within the playable map area, not the entire map.

Status
Not open for further replies.