• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with abilities/triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Im not really into triggering yet, read a couple of tutorials but couldnt get it, so I hope you could help me out.

I need some skills, propably really easy to do.

a passive normal (not hero) skill:

Everytime My unit attacks an enemy it looses "x" amount of mana. (I havnt decided the "x" yet). In other words, melee manaburn.

Hero skill (not ultimate):

Activate/unactivate skill. When activated it rises the hero's attack and movement speed by "x" %. And looses "x" mana every second. (no cooldown)

Leap, without any special effects. Mayby a small white line which follows the guy leaping.

And one more

passive hero skill (not ultimate):

Knockback. Hero has a "x" % chance to knock its target back and stun it for "x" seconds.

AND the last

passive normal skill (not hero):

recharges heros mana/health to full. (cooldown)

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Level 35

Everytime My unit attacks an enemy it looses "x" amount of mana. (I havnt decided the "x" yet). In other words, melee manaburn.

Well then do like this:
  • Events
    • A unit owned by "Y" (or of type or similar) attacks an enemy
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to ((Percentage mana of (Triggering unit)) - 2.00)%
Hero skill (not ultimate):

Activate/unactivate skill. When activated it rises the hero's attack and movement speed by "x" %. And looses "x" mana every second. (no cooldown)

Well you make use the ability which increase damage and speed, then you make a trigger like this:
  • Power Up
  • Events
    • Unit - Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast equal to (Power Up/ or what ever name)
  • Actions
    • Set Target = (Triggering unit)
    • Trigger - Turn on (Mana Drain Trigger)
    • Wait - 60 seconds
    • Trigger - Turn off (Mana Drain Trigger)
The Mana drain trigger is a second trigger like this:
  • Mana Drain
  • Events
    • Time - Every 2 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit - Set mana of (Target) to ((Percentage mana of (Target)) - 5.00)%
This will work for an ability that last 60 seconds, replace with amount you want it to, to allow lvl upgrade, jsut make it wait for amount of time + level of hero * 5 or so.

Leap, without any special effects. Mayby a small white line which follows the guy leaping.
This will reguire a good knowledge about JASS, but there is many leap systems around, use one of those

And one more

passive hero skill (not ultimate):

Knockback. Hero has a "x" % chance to knock its target back and stun it for "x" seconds.

Same with the above one, JASS trigger needed (not actualy but surely the best), and there is many systems with knockback.

AND the last

passive normal skill (not hero):

recharges heros mana/health to full. (cooldown)

Well just make this:

• Events
    • Unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Add one if needed)
  • Actions
    • set life of triggering unit to 100%
    • set mana of triggering unit to 100%
BTW: Inded welcome to the hive, hoped this helped you, and that your going to stay. Also that you could use my help.

Level 4
Thanks for fast reply. Yeah this helped a lot. I did triggering in starcraft, but the system is quite different, yes this helped me to understand the triggers more better. Thank you

I really dont have anything cool to show yet, and i dont want to tell about my project (atm) becouse its really WIP and many of you are getting tired of all the similiar projects, so to prove you wrong that my project is different needs something cool to show. Which i dont have atm.

Well I gotta say something.. hmm.. Im trying to make warcrafts combat more fast paced and more action oriented. Less standing still and more jumping around. :) More skill involved.

:cool:
atm im working with the sounds (units responses and combat effects) ( yeah i know they arent my major concern but it makes the game less warcraft with custom look and sound, and its fun :) )

Level 4
Problems encountered..

I can't get the on/off skill to work which increases movement and attack speed but hero loses mana when its activated. First of all I don't know what spell to use. It needs to be samekind of spell as the storm spirit has in DotA.

And i can't find anywhere a text: attacks an enemy unit

Last edited:
Level 35
Problems encountered..

I can't get the on/off skill to work which increases movement and attack speed but hero loses mana when its activated. First of all I don't know what spell to use. It needs to be samekind of spell as the storm spirit has in DotA.

And i can't find anywhere a text: attacks an enemy unit

Dont double post next time, but okay find that trigger...

Sry, I wrote wrong should have been like this in start:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Is attacked
  • Conditions
    • (Attacking unit) Equal to (unit with the skill, you can make a third trigger to set him to a veriable when he gets the skill or similar) or attacking unit has a specific buff.
Hope it helped :smile:

The ability is (could be): Envenomed Spears (orc -> units) just change to hero.

Level 4
ok thanks for help i got my stuff to work

another problem encountered:

I made a skill with triggers which is normally an aura, but i made it a spell with manacost and cooldown. Now everytime when the cooldown ends game crashes.. wheres the problem? I get a memory error of somkind.

The hero has 2 other skills which use the same triggering, but instead of aura they have passive skill with manacost and cooldown.. They work perfect

Level 4
Well my attempt is propably so complicated anyways.. Easier if you tell me how to make the ability.

I want ability evasion with duration and cooldown and manacost (to make it nonpassive). How to?

Level 35
? I get a memory error of somkind.

The hero has 2 other skills which use the same triggering, but instead of aura they have passive skill with manacost and cooldown.. They work perfect

Well that looping as said, and then making it worse by having the same trigger to 3 skills, make it individual for each skill or use JASS. Also makes it alot easier when using GUI.

Hmm an nonepassive evasion....

you could do so when the unit took dmg with evasion on, then a trigger would lower his mana, but doesnt solve other trouble... hmm well you gotta find an ability doing something liek that from start, or use JASS. Cant figure out a GUI now.

Level 4
I used immolation for the base skill.

could you introduce me gui and jass. I have no idea what they are?

Level 35
could you introduce me gui and jass. I have no idea what they are?

GUI: It is normal triggers, those like this:
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit dies
  • Conditions
    • (Triggering unit) is dead Equal to true
  • Actions
    • Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)
And jass is custom script, which I must say I realy isnt good at, I can make very very little with it, just enough to make MUI spells and so for WE/WEU (Those are world editor and world editor unlimited).
(MUI is multi instantable (if I remember correct) but anyway means that it can be used by more then one hero on the same time)

Level 4
JASS seams to complicated for me. Thanks for being helpfull all this time +rep for you

Ok I have a new question. tadaa :)

How to make this trigger?:
Trigger: When a unit which has movement speed over 400, moves in a specific area, create birds flying on that specific area, when he moves out from the area, remove the birds.

Or when he stops moving remove the birds, or if his movement speed changes below 400 remove the birds..(birds should be a doodad if possible)

The amount of units moving in the area, shouldnt make any difference.

If one unit moves with a speed of 400 and other moves with a speed of 300, there should be birds.
I have no idea how to create it.

Last edited:
Level 9
trigger entering:
Event : a unit enter your_region
Condition : speed of triggering unit >= 400
Action :
set number_of_unit_the_region = number_of_unit_the_region + 1
if (number_of_unit_the_region == 1)
then create n bird in your_region

trigger leaving:
Event : a unit leave your_region
Action :
set number_of_unit_the_region = number_of_unit_the_region - 1
if (number_of_unit_the_region == 0)
then pick every bird in your_region
do remove picked unit

Level 35
trigger entering:
Event : a unit enter your_region
Action :
set number_of_unit_the_region = number_of_unit_the_region + 1
if (number_of_unit_the_region == 1)
then create n bird in your_region

trigger leaving:
Event : a unit leave your_region
Action :
set number_of_unit_the_region = number_of_unit_the_region - 1
if (number_of_unit_the_region == 0)
then pick every bird in your_region
do remove picked unit

Why doesnt you use trigger tags?

Level 9
Why doesnt you use trigger tags?
I'm french
My world editor is french to
to find the correct syntax which match the trigger tag, i've to make many tests
i use them only when it would be understandable without

and also : "give a man a fish, he'll eat one day; teach a man to fish, he'll eat all days" ;)

I cant find this set number action thing.. where to look?
number_of_unit_the_region is an integer variable you use to count the number of "quick units" in the region
so the action is simply "set variable"

Level 4
Thanks YoshiRyu, what is the best way to line an area? I dont exactly understand the system. Max (x) min (x) and max (y) and min (y), I know these are cordinates and I can find them, Is that the way of making a square area for the trigger, or should I use some other?

From thing to another....

Ok now I need know, is it possible to lock the ingame camera to a hero, so the camera would follow a hero like the same way as in diablo2. Hero in the middle of the screen. And how can I do this? detailed trigger thingy needed. (has anyone tried this? Does it even work smoothly?)

Thanks again. You all are giving a big help for my map. I'll add you to ppl to thank list when I get the test version out.

Level 9
Is that the way of making a square area for the trigger, or should I use some other?
you can create regions directly in the terrain editor, just switch on the region palette (instead of unit/terrain/doodad) and try it, you'll easily understand how it works

Ok now I need know, is it possible to lock the ingame camera to a hero, so the camera would follow a hero like the same way as in diablo2. Hero in the middle of the screen. And how can I do this? detailed trigger thingy needed. (has anyone tried this? Does it even work smoothly?)
very easy, use the following action in a trigger : Camera - lock camera target to unit

Level 4
Hehe.. It was too simple

Thanks man!

How can I take the camera a little higher than normal game camera is?

Is it possible to make footprints, in snow, stay visible longer time?

Last edited:
Level 4
More probelms:

How to make a trigger that when you attack units rear you do more dmg like rikimaru in DoTa.. I bet thats JaSS?

Level 4
thanks for offering help, you got mail, I still need that rikimaru trigger thing

Last edited:
Level 4
Ok i might give it a try...

Here's another problem

This map has some cool things I would like to know how to make.
http://war3.incgamers.com/maps.php?id=7899

Shooting system:
How can I make a shooting system like this? I guess it needs dummy thingy to work. When the hero shoots a projectile he wont pause/stop. Could someone help me with this.

Movement system:
And How can I make a movement system like this but even a little better, in this one when you press movement key once, he moves a bit too far. I need a trigger that when you press movement key once, he moves just a little. But when you hold it down he continues to move.

2 triggers that will determine, when player presses "up" key, order unit to move to position of unit facing of unit degrees offset by 20

When player releases "up" key, order unit to stop.

however.. this isnt so.. clean.. i should say.. but i dont know another way rather than instantly moving with offset very lil periodically and playing the walk animation.

Level 4
Well I have no idea how it works so could someone post this in GUI tags? I would appreciate it. Attack system also needed

Level 9
if the number of unit which are doing that is limited (like one per player)
you can do something like using a variable point to save the destination
(the unit is issued to go to point > set MovePoint = target point)
then, use a dummy ability without target (if the unit shoot front itself)
and when the unit is issued order to use this ability, after making the bullet, re-order the unit to go to MovePoint
you'll probably have to use a dummy value (like 9999/9999) to check unproper MovePoint used when the unit doesn't move, set the MovePoint to the dummy value when the unit stop moving (i've no idea about how to detect this, maybe a stop order will works)

if there is an undefinied number of unit, then use an integer variable FirstFreeId (default value 0)
each time an unit is created :
set it custom value to FirstFreeId and set FirstFreeId to FirstFreeId+1
with this, each unit will have its own "id" in its custom value
then you can use an array of point and each unit will have its own line:
MovePoint[custom value of(unit)]

Level 4
How can I make this dummy thing. Could anyone show me in gui tags and english?

Level 35
The dumy thing is a unit you make... which you edit to fit your needs.. often it is a unit with the ability (which name I for some wierd reson just forgot) that makes it unselectable... and with a model from a spell or similar.. so you can make it move or so... It can also be a invisble or a copy model of the real model, which has an other attack with a fast attack speed, to make it look like the real unit is doing some special move...

Level 4
OK well now I have the dummy unit, the real unit and triggers

Event
-unit starts the effect of an ability
Condition
-ability been cast equal to *what should i put here*
Actions
-unit - create 1 dummycaster for Owner of triggering unit at position of triggering unit facing *same direction as the real unit, how to do it*
-unit - order last created unit to *what should I put here*
-unit - remove last created unit

I have a skill which acts as spammable normal attack(nontarget). When you press it the unit swungs his sword and damages everyone infront of him. Problem is I dont want that he stops if I press the skill while moving. Thats why I need a dummy caster to cast it instead. So I could move and slice and dice at the same time.( Im going to make a custom animation that the unit walks and attacks at the same time). Understandable`? Good.. well what should I do?

What should be the base ability for this skill (this is the skill dummy unit has)
What should be the skill for the real unit (this doesnt matter so much, does it?, but whats the best skill for this use)

If there is something that should be made differently tell me please.

Level 4
make sure you make the options visible

And what does this exactly mean?//Edit : ok found that visible thing stuff..-.- that didnt really help me.

More information please. I need to get this stuff working.

Last edited:
Level 35
I have a skill which acts as spammable normal attack(nontarget). When you press it the unit swungs his sword and damages everyone infront of him. Problem is I dont want that he stops if I press the skill while moving. Thats why I need a dummy caster to cast it instead. So I could move and slice and dice at the same time.( Im going to make a custom animation that the unit walks and attacks at the same time). Understandable`? Good.. well what should I do?

What should be the base ability for this skill (this is the skill dummy unit has)
What should be the skill for the real unit (this doesnt matter so much, does it?, but whats the best skill for this use)

Btw: the needed ability for Dummy unit to make it unselectable is Locust.. :smile:

Not channel as that would means he stand still... the idea is making him appear to be moving.... (If your gonna make an animation where he is running and attacking on same time then hide the caster, and place the dummy at his position, then order the dummy unit to move to posistion of caster (where the new animation is set to move anim (every 0.5 second, make it in seperate trigger)), but you also need a trigger damageing people around the caster (make unit damage area (condition: add so the caster isnt damaged (tell if trigger needed))) Oaky I gotta show a trigger kinda hard to explain.

Well the base skill (ability would be correct name) you should use... hmmm actualy doesnt matter, just important that it isnt passive and that it is targeted.... :grin:

For the real unit... well thats the base ability... (nonepassive, targeted or if you want him to just use it and then control him around, then you need make it nonpassive nontargeted so you can click him around...)

Just gotta how in pic.. to lazy to write it all...:

BTW.. Notice the base shouldnt be roar (as I used) unless you want to jsut make him run in some random direction or similar... For this to work you need a spell that can target ground (which is where he will run too)

Also remember, that you cant interubt this spell, it can be changed to allow it, but didnt do so in this.)

And! For this to be MUI you need to add locals, just read in trigger totorial forum -> Multi intantable spell making tutorial (was agian to lazy to write it down.. but it is very simpel to do, if you need help with it just ask...) :cool:

Level 4
OMG thanks for all this info... but i still couldnt get it to work as I wanted. I included my tryes at this post.

asdfasdf.w3x has the things you explained
gathered...w3x has the attack spell I want to use for the dummy.

Could you check this out, make it work and post the map in this thread, you would help my project (asian clans) a lot.

I want that when I use the attack spell I can chop people(infront of me) while I move around. I dont want the attack spell to be targeted. It must be just casted.

MAyby check this video so you get the point what I mean. You cant actually move and smash at the same time in ninja gaiden, becouse it makes an animation to make the combat look realistic, but I want to make it simplier so you can move around and slice people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOUyHM3gik.

Your effort is very appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.