1. Are you planning to upload your awesome skin to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

NaviHuntress(Ranger)v6.0.blp

Submitted by Dj0z
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
So this is a female Na'vi skin, the blue people in James Cameron's Avatar.
It represents an archer hunter, clothed with pieces of tanned animal skins, decorated with the hunter's dye.

She is armed with a bow cut in the wood of a pandoran green tree.
The cord that bends the bow is made of liana.

The cape is made of attached leaves, for camouflage in the jungle.
They are slightly tainted with their clan's teamcolor. Some of them were bathed into it to show a line of clear TC.

Ears were shortened and given a wooden earring; all the material i didn't find useful was removed; everything was freehanded except the very small parts that i still don't know where they can be seen, and the arrow.

There is no CnP, no recolor.

Don't hesitate to point out all the bad things, i still need alot of advice for skinning :D .

Reference picture:
[​IMG]

Proper Importing (how to get the archer portrait to work)

Import the skin twice (because of a war3 glitch), then set the paths to these:

Textures\Ranger.blp
This path works for Archer model and Hipprogryph rider model AND portrait

Units\NightElf\Archer\Ranger.blp
This one debugs the portrait for Archer only. If you don't use this path, Archer portrait will stay the normal night elf chick.

Special thanks to Misha for finding this out.

EDIT:
Skin updated with GIMP, now with alot of shading and highlights and stuff.
Also changed the pattern of the boots, and added the bright dots on the face.

EDIT: 4.0
Remade the whole skin (except bow) with much thinner body stripes, better shading and highlights, more muscle reliefs, improved clothes, more details, and bioluminescent dots on all parts of the body. Removed the black lines between zones.

EDIT: 5.0
Totally remade the bow and the cape, added even more shading and highlights about everywhere, and other minor improvements.
06-07-2010: screenshot updated.

EDIT: 6.0
Totally remade the eyes from scratch. Improved their placement and transition to the nose.
Remade the TC leaves on the cape from pure alpha, for much better visibility.
Refined bioluminescence dots (no longer 1 pixel), removed some of them, aligned them better, shaded them consistently with the surrounding shadowing.
Refined shading & highlighting in details for eyes, nose, neck, stomach, arm, leg, middle cloth, shoulderpad, bow handle.

Keywords:
na'vi, navi, archer, avatar, neytiri, pandora, huntress, hunter, jungle, alien, sexy, native, a v a t a r, green, camouflage, leaves, bow, hidden
Contents

Na'vi Huntress (Texture)

Reviews
18:10, 4th Jun 2010 67chrome: The thick, black outlines around most of the details make this skin look incomplete and cartoonish, I'd strongly advise removing the outlines outright and use shading and highlights to create the distinction between...
  1. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can't seem to find a way to alpha out a team color, is that even possible?, Like, shortening the cape without having nuclear red TC showing up there...

2. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    unfortunately, the "nuclear" red, as you say it, will remain there, unless you plan to edit the model itself to remove teamcolor.. :p

but.. since you only texture it.. well, you gotta make compromises. the cape stays that lenght :p

3. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay well since i was forced to get over it, i've turned the problem into something nice :)

v5.0 is up!

4. Hawk

Hawk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good remake dude

5. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks :) now with updated screenshot mosaic (much better).

6. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The face on the portrait looks quite bad. The nose seems very big, and the eyes are too close to it. In addition the eyes are just a block of yellow color, which looks bad. I'd suggest adding more of a shine in the eyes(make them not a single color), make the nose smaller, move the nose away from the eyes a bit, define the nose more with shading, move the pupils of the eyes a bit more to the upper end of the eye and make the eyes more 'sinister looking'(At the moment, she looks too 'peaceful', or, well, completely calm as though as she's sitting on a sofa in her house, relaxing).

7. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    haha.. even eyes need shading and highlights :D :D

8. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks a lot better now with the team coloring and the nose job.

One thing that does look weird is the portrait's animation: since the normel archer doesn't have pupils, the new skin looks like she's just squinching without actually closing her eye. (Of course, I don't expect anything can be done about that, so good job on the whole.)

9. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well for the nose, these people really have big noses ya know :/ see reference picture.
    I will space out the eyes.
    I'll trying adding more variation to them, since it looks like a block of color >.< okay for the "shine".
    You can see on reference picture that there should be no space at all between eyes and nose though.
    Okay for even more shading on the nose.
    Okay for moving the eyes & more sinister look, you're right she's a huntress after all.
    Thanks for the details :)

Sometimes i feel like one could make a skin with just 1 color, +only shading and highlights and it'd be "good" :/

Thanks ^^
    Maybe the eye thing will fix when i modify em the way debode described.

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Monochromatic skins are greatly discouraged here ^^
    it'll need to have at least 3 colors + TC

11. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Would you consider making this skin for the "elite archer" models (Shandris, both Sylvanases, and Dark Ranger)?

I ask this because I was fooling around with the skin, seeing how it looks on a high elf archer (just fine, it turns out), but on the aforementioned elite archers, they look like unholy abortions from hell (try it, you'll see what I mean).

12. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well i wasn't really serious, point was just to stress out the importance of shadowing/highlitghting, which turns out much harder than i thought at first :O

EDIT:
    6.0 is out, eyes and stuff much improved.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  13. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    WHOA GEEZ!!

Well, they certainly look more aggressive, the portrait has a very Neanderthalish look now.

(So, would you make a ranger version of the skin? For, say, a Ney'tiri unit?)

14. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Whoa! Great update. Definitely looks much better now. Just one more thing, could you move the pupils closer to the nose? Like they are on the ref pic.

Also, is there any chance you'll do a skin for the Hyporgriph as well, to be one of those bird dragon thingies?

15. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like the work is paying off ^^

Someone told me the eye expression wasn't correct, so i made em look like real huntress eyes, aka the eyes of someone who's planning to kill stuff.

For other archers, i don't think that would be anytime soon, cuz i need an Avatar and a male Na'vi first, then i'll need at least clan leader and shaman.

I placed the pupils so that the details of the rest of the eye would stay visible, and because the way it wraps on the model makes them better there. on the ref pic, neytiri has a wider head, so it looks fine on her, but it wouldn't on the model, as far as i tried.

For hippogryph i don't know yet, since it would look much different from the skin i use ingame for ikrans and lance-using male Na'vi riders (67chrome's naga predator) and it would take me ages to make something remotely resembling that.. so i think i'll stick to Na'vis on foot for a while :p

16. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    lookin' better and better :)

17. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ^^ I spend the time it takes on it lol. That's just how i work :p. It will end up epic before i stop updating it, 'ya hear ;D !

18. Etzer

Etzer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm making a clan leader, you know ^^

19. Dj0z

Dj0z

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah! at last we're gonna get the na'vi skins, nice :O ! Plus they're sorta funky enough to be used in other maps than avatar maps imo.
    It is gonna save me alot of time that you make it, thanks for letting me know so we don't do the same skin twice lol, how retarded would that be x-)
    I'm gonna encourage you all along lol, just tell if you could use some help.

20. ShiroiSenji

ShiroiSenji

Resources:
    Resources:
    make more navi stuff and i might workout a cinematic or smth