• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Natural Selection v1.4b

Natural Selection

Summary:
Create your species and evolve your creatures from simple land animals to unique and powerful beasts. Fine-tune their genetic code in singleplayer, and then unleash them against others online!

Natural Selection is a sandbox game in which you design you own unique species of creature. At first your species is basic, with a preset size, colour and behaviour. Over time however, your creatures will adapt to their competition; potentially developing a wide array of abilities - anything from fire-breathing wolves to berserker polar bears is possible!

Features:
-Thousands of possible creature combinations
-Adapted save/load system for storing your creations (based on a script by TriggerHappy)
-Advanced creature AI, that controls everything from hunting to mating and nesting.
-Unprotected version can be found here. Mappers are welcome to take a peek under the hood and learn how everything works

Changelog:
v1.0 - Uploaded
v1.1 - Fixed an issue with loner AI. Baby aggressive creatures no longer flee. Fixed ability levelling issue.
v1.2 - Added 5 new abilities, 6 New creature models, fixed allied vision issue, more ai tweaks, pack hunting ability, new save/load system, numerous other bug fixes.
v1.3 - AI improvements, multiple bug fixes.
v1.35 - Fixed pack ability, added -fog and -cap commands, various other bug fixes/balance tweaks.
v1.4 - New terrain added! Credit goes to Saken for making this for me!
v1.4b - Revised terrain by Saken. A little more height variation added.

Keywords:
natural selection, evolution, sandbox, god, sim, creation, creator, toy, creature, species, adapt
Contents

Natural Selection v1.4b (Map)

Level 12
Well unfortunatley, Callex is no longer working on the map. He has gone off to Starcraft II, and even though I helped maked the latest version, my knowledge of map making is pretty limited, and I do not know how to trigger to save my life. I only know how to terrain and make some simple units, items, and spells. I'm glad you liked the game though.

Level 2
Well unfortunatley, Callex is no longer working on the map. He has gone off to Starcraft II, and even though I helped maked the latest version, my knowledge of map making is pretty limited, and I do not know how to trigger to save my life. I only know how to terrain and make some simple units, items, and spells. I'm glad you liked the game though.

Any chance callex will make this sort of map in SC2?

Level 12
Yeah, I'd appreciate it. I mean I worked really hard on getting Callex a very nice terrain worked out, though I can barely even play on my own terrain because the triggers were changed for the worse in this version. Herbivores are way overpowered because they reproduce like vermin, the carnivores reproduce pretty fast too, but in my opinion it would all be smoothed out if they would reproduce at the slower rate they did back in the older versions where the carnivores were the over powered ones, haha.

I also noticed that when ever I save my creature, it gives me a code that isn't as long as it should be, though whenever a friend or public person I'm playing with saves, it gives them a perfect code that always works. So that would have to be worked out as well, and I've screen shotted, written down, copy/pasted, and counted the characters it gives me, and it always comes up short when I save my creatures every time. It never did that to me in the older versions.

There were a few other problems I noticed people were having, when loading their creatures, or when their creatures reproduced, bad things would happen, so those would also have to be checked into if you were willing to help out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Level 1
you should add a biome influence, like if a species is created in a snowy area, they have an increased chance to get cold resistance and cold based abilities. Also, I have noticed that when a new ability emerges, one member becomes an "Alpha Male" type thing, maybe you could make it so that the creator of the nest recieves an aura or something. One last idea, maybe you could add a hero unit that follows a similar principle of gaining skills and abilities for the player to use, but without the need to eat or breed. This hero would have the ability to coax other members of the race to follow it on raids, but the hero would strictly be controlled by a player, unless the player is selected to be an AI.

Level 9
you should add a biome influence, like if a species is created in a snowy area, they have an increased chance to get cold resistance and cold based abilities. Also, I have noticed that when a new ability emerges, one member becomes an "Alpha Male" type thing, maybe you could make it so that the creator of the nest recieves an aura or something. One last idea, maybe you could add a hero unit that follows a similar principle of gaining skills and abilities for the player to use, but without the need to eat or breed. This hero would have the ability to coax other members of the race to follow it on raids, but the hero would strictly be controlled by a player, unless the player is selected to be an AI.

The first idea is good, but the hero idea will turn 'natural selection' into 'natural destruction'.

Level 1
but the hero idea will turn 'natural selection' into 'natural destruction'

Im not sure if you understood, I meant it as in a creature that didn't need taking care of. I like the idea of natural selection, but I want more influence on the game, like just having a unit like that, which is only a regular member of the species just with a little more stats and a chance to get the dominant abilities, so I can actually feel a part of my race's evolution. I came up with the hero/leader idea after observing how my creatures acted more like tribes than packs or herds, as they will often guard their territory, make nests close to their general area, and generally divide themselves into groups with different abilities (like I had a fire tribe on the southeastern tip of the map and a lightning tribe on the northeastern). Also, model specific abilities would be cool, like a spider having the web ability restricted to only it, but that will probably take away from the "Natural Selection" part of it.

Level 1
Hey

I made this account to point out a really fatal bug in the game,around the extreme sizes,10<x<150, the creatures start dying out for no reason,my tiny size 7 herbivore ants managed to extinct 3 times in a short while in a game where they were all alone with no competition.Attached is the replay for the game.Hope someone figures out a bugfix for this error or i would have spent all that time breeding smaller and smaller ants for nothing,i would fix it,but i have no idea whats wrong.

Attachments

• Seriously Buggy.w3g
    10 KB · Views: 92
Level 15
by the way you should make a mutation system...it's where one of your monsters actually turn into a whole new monster with a different ability(it happens randomly,and the chance only is used after birth)...also i think there should be a orc or human creature...or something like that....also maybe an election system?heres how it'll work,you elect a creature*under your control*who will have any of his powers gain one extra lvl and gains extra atk points and anyone near him automaticly follows him and attacks anyone nearby...

Level 27
election sysrem doesn't sound logical... thouh yes, "spraying" "Alpha Dog" pheromones on one of your units and giving him a special aura would be awesome...
Now just Mutations could screw the whole system... plus they happen all the time, just you don't loose abilities. And just replacing unit with different could messy, too.
Orcs and Humans? I recall there were zombies but they got removed.

Level 15
well i think we should have demi primates or something like that...ortherwise in my opinion the mammals catagory is not complete
but thats just me :grin: :grin: :grin:

:piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru:

all in all though this map is amazing!!!!keep up the good work! :wink: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :grin:

also tleno do you think you could make a mage signature for me please???if you can thanks man!!!also thumbs up on your signature :piru: :piru:

Last edited:
Level 1
Really is a shame this map isnt updated...Its a great map, v.v
EDIT: Does anyone have the unprotected version of this map? Callex said he lost it, And I needss it....So if you could, PM/Visitor message me.

Last edited:
Level 2
This is a great game, I like evolution games but I wish you could at least the terrain a bit better and maybe add a bit more skins but all and all it is a great game :D

Level 2
Saken, would you by chance happen to have the unprotected version of this map? I'd really like to look at some of the code. Thanks in advance!

Level 2
I made a pwnt species and its code is

However, when I use this code, the game bugs and someone else's creatures gets all the abilities of my loaded creature if the creature they loaded has no other abilities. Its really annoying.

please, dont type code here, it ruins the game. thx
(yes, this is really OP creature, gj)

Level 4
This map inspires me being a biologist....seriously though. Anyways,this is a unique map that I played. Can you teach me or send me a map on how they live their own life? It would me interesting...

Level 12
This map inspires me being a biologist....seriously though. Anyways,this is a unique map that I played. Can you teach me or send me a map on how they live their own life? It would me interesting...

Unfortunately Callex no longer develops maps for WC3 to my knowledge, and I unfortunately never had a chance to get a copy of the unprotected map from him before he went to work on SC2. Happy to hear y'all all love the game though, I had a lot of fun on the original version before working on this terrain for Natural Selection.

Level 4
Unfortunately Callex no longer develops maps for WC3 to my knowledge, and I unfortunately never had a chance to get a copy of the unprotected map from him before he went to work on SC2. Happy to hear y'all all love the game though, I had a lot of fun on the original version before working on this terrain for Natural Selection.
Well,that was sad...I wish to get ideas from there to make a survival map that involves animal's food chain,like in real life...

Level 4
If you decide to make your own map like this, if you need someone to make the terrain/world, I could try and help you out.
Wow,I never thought there iz someone to help me with this...anyways,my map that I making it right now iz all 'bout survival. Yes,like "Jungle Trolls Reborn",but this time,a snowy terrain,I will send ya a map after New Year's Day so you can check it out.