1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

My PLAYABLE terrains

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Piwlady, Feb 8, 2010.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You've been a big help. The "fladdermasken" sends his regards :smile:

2. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My pleasure

3. IronForge

IronForge

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Right thanks. So is this for your own map? Or working on some big project? Probably going to be an RPG from the looks of things. Should be great. Hope you have an open source version (without save codes of course) for newbs to learn from once its out in say.... 20 years. Anyway, placing pathing blockers one by one seems a little... extreme don't you think? For an epic sized map that is going to burn through doodads so fast. And could you explain the invisible platform part? Is there any way to raise or lower stuff in WE? Sorry I'm rather noob when it comes to terraining. Only my second major project so far, my first didn't involve much terrain.

4. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Questiom # 1.

Own big project O_O , but it seems like dead by now. It was meant to be pretty epic RPG campaing but dunno....

Questiom # 2.

When you use pathing blockers, they use Trees / Destrcutibles, so you can have about 7000 in map. And use Large Pathing Blockers, they are a lot bigger -> you don't need to so much 'em.

Or if you have walls made with doodads and floor in front of those walls made with doodads, you can use this "Abyss" tile from Outland tile set to make those walls unwalkable.

I have used these both techniques but mostly pathing blockers, used that abyss tile only in Castle Shepherds cave.

Questiom # 3.

Yes, there is way to raise / lower stuff in WE. You just need to select stuff you want to raise / lower and then just press your Ctrl + Page Up ( for raise ) or Ctrl + Page Down ( for lower ) there you go.

I'm not good to explain how to use those invisible platforms, I suggest you to read that tutorial. I linked about pathing.

5. IronForge

IronForge

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah I read it, answered some stuff but still confused as hell. Can I make the pathing textures as big or small as I want or are there still limits?

Also can you please give me a credit list of your models? Especially the village houses. I need those bad (do they have death animation?) and the bridge. Know any good wooden bridge I can use BTW?

Also about invisible platforms, how do I make it such that things can pass UNDER the platform? As in I want a bridge with the ability to pass under it.

6. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1) You need to research those pathing texture what are in game, they are the limits.

2) Err... All models are can be found from Utm, I use just custom skins made by me. Don't even think about getting my skins :3

3) Village houses are made from [Framework]- doodads what can be found from UTM. So no any animations of course because it's like about 10 - 30 doodad per house.

4) That bridge...? You mean which one? Bridge in Frozen Palace is made from doodads, it's about 60 - 100 doodads, I'm not sure. Bridge in forest with Orc fortress is about 40 doodads. Bridge in front of Castle Shepherd is about 40 doodads too. So they are all made from many doodads...

5) Dunno any good bridge models, I'd say build it :3

6) No, you can't have invisible platforms what can be passed under, game doesn't support "multilayer" ( or whatever ) movement

7. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The project is dead because you dont want to do it anymore cause SC 2 is coming >:3

8. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Or because there is all of these contests going on and me and our triggerer are making stuff to 'em...

9. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm.. You got a point

10. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What scales are you using on the smudge and fog?

11. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

That's the scale.

12. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Gosh, you are crazy. The best playable shit i ever seen in my life. Keep it up!

13. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks man...

I think I should start terraining again. But because this project is bit dead I guess I don't have any desire to do it :3

14. Catch_ya

Catch_ya

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you don't have a coder, then I could be it if you want.

15. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I guess we got a coder if we even start project again but thanks anyway :)
    Starting project again is most likely matter of release date of Starcraft 2

16. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, But it'll be late anyways :3 Cause it's... Blizz...

17. xDeathKnightx

xDeathKnightx

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These are all epic, Especialy Fort Shepherd, Home of paladins omg, you, beast! :d I love these, i wish i could terrain as well as you.

18. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you like it.
    Fort Shepherd is nice only because of it's high res textures, I think. And it's bit monotone with height varitations in everywhere and there is lack of tile varitation in outdoors.

My personal favourite is still frozen palace because there isn't any high res doodads and it still look ok :3

19. xDeathKnightx

xDeathKnightx

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They all look great, but i still think they look better with high res dodadds besides, good job ^_^

20. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was concidering to make high res textures to frozen palace. Actually I made 'em but imports failed and whole map crashed. I'm glad I had back-up copy