• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music / Sound Effects - (A new category to put under Maps & Resources)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
It's no secret that myself and many other users on here are dedicated, hardworking musicians. It's also no secret that we love Warcraft III. So something that I feel would be an absolutely wonderful addition to the site would be a section where users who make their own music and / or sound effects could post them to be used on people's maps.

Several years ago this wasn't as feasible due to the limited size of maps allowed on B.net (meaning essentially music and SFX were limited to single player maps unless heavily compressed). But with the increased map size, increased B.net download speed, (and an upcoming increase in map size allowed and download speed again when Reforged comes out), this means it's now a viable option, and would provide an extra layer of depth to the Hive's resources.

Obviously strict guidelines would be in place (only original compositions / sound effects, no copyrighted materials allowed), but I feel like this would be a wonderful addition to the site.

What do you all think?

Level 14
I have often thought this would be a nice addition. I have always wanted to browse sound effects to use the same way I browse models and other resources. Good idea!

Level 14
I have often thought this would be a nice addition. I have always wanted to browse sound effects to use the same way I browse models and other resources. Good idea!

It would be so nice to have a base resource of sound effects, songs and such to use in Warcraft III maps. The same old music does get a fair bit annoying after a while, and it'll be nice to not have to compress songs to such an insane degree anymore like before.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm not seeing how such a resource forum would help out with the music bit/format issues and how people are not already able to use what music they want in their maps not to bore you with the game's original.

Level 14
I'm not seeing how such a resource forum would help out with the music bit/format issues and how people are not already able to use what music they want in their maps not to bore you with the game's original.

The only issues I had beforehand were with the limited map size (which Blizzard has now patched, and will increase again when Reforged drops), otherwise I haven't had any issues importing music. It's incredibly easy to convert music to any bit rate now even for those who don't have advanced DAW interfaces like you and I do. It's more or less about giving people an extra reason to come to the Hive, and cementing the Hive as a place that has "all" the resources to help with the creation of a Warcraft III map.

I can see this being useful, but there's more to consider than just "creating" the section itself :D
Let's see... we can start with section-specific rules, followed with moderation mechanics for this section and then appointing people on duty.

I'm all for having new section though.

@Ralle might want to consider this addition.

will only be useful with request subforum
We already have Request sub forum. This is about making an outlet for all the non-request materials self-owned by sound and music makers to be uploaded formally here. From my view, it would allow us to give more to the user and provide more options.

Level 14
We already have Request sub forum. This is about making an outlet for all the non-request materials self-owned by sound and music makers to be uploaded formally here. From my view, it would allow us to give more to the user and provide more options.

Exactly.

a subforum where you request sound specific for your model/ability/etc.

Not as professional or user friendly as making it an actual resource section

Level 16
Not as professional or user friendly as making it an actual resource section
the sound request section would be a sub-forum of the sound resource section you speak of. How is that going to be 'unprofessional' or 'user-unfriendly'? if you could please elaborate. Thanks!

Edit: the reason why I thought a sound request subforum will greatly enable the sound resources is that most resources (Campaigns, Cinamatics, Maps, Models, Weapons, spells) Have no sounds specified for them. they either have a silent narrator, or use some un-fitting blizzard pre-made sounds. thus, there will be plenty of resources in this regard.

Level 14
the sound request section would be a sub-forum of the sound resource section you speak of. How is that going to be 'unprofessional' or 'user-unfriendly'? if you could please elaborate. Thanks!

Edit: the reason why I thought a sound request subforum will greatly enable the sound resources is that most resources (Campaigns, Cinamatics, Maps, Models, Weapons, spells) Have no sounds specified for them. they either have a silent narrator, or use some un-fitting blizzard pre-made sounds. thus, there will be plenty of resources in this regard.

So if there would be tons of resources in that regard, why not just make it a Resource Submission like other resources?
It would be unprofessional because it would be a collection of resources made in a way that is completely different than the way other resources are submitted.

Level 16
So if there would be tons of resources in that regard, why not just make it a Resource Submission like other resources?
It would be unprofessional because it would be a collection of resources made in a way that is completely different than the way other resources are submitted.
I dont think any one said there should be no section like others. All I said was that this very section will have a subforum (which means it must be there already) lol.

Edit: nvm I guess someone said. it wast me anyway :p

Level 9
This is a fantastic idea. I went looking for voice sets recently and found a few thread with expired pastebin links... And its not handy. You can search the Music forum, but come on. You can't see music/voices in peoples' resources, you can't rate the resource properly, search is not as good as in resource section, etc.
Plus, most importantly, lack of proper resource section deters people from making those things themselves. Or the thought just doesn't occur to them!
I'm sure people would make a lot more voice sets and music and stuff if they had a constant reminder - I'd even say a challenge - looking at them when they are browsing resources.

I can see this being useful, but there's more to consider than just "creating" the section itself :D
Let's see... we can start with section-specific rules, followed with moderation mechanics for this section and then appointing people on duty.

I'm all for having new section though.

@Ralle might want to consider this addition.

Okay, how about this: Sound sets must be at least 75% user's own recordings, and at the same time not be recordings of someone else's work.
Edits of Blizzard sounds are allowed if they are high enough quality and useful (and please, please, please, get rid of that "substandard" nonsense, it makes search a hassle and serves no purpose but stroking the ego of some people).
Effects are allowed as long as the tool in question allows non-profit blah-blah-blah, but user's own work must be heard under all the effects and be the main theme (for lack of better word) of the recording (i.e. so people don't just take a sound of cat burp, shower it with billion effects so you can barely hear the cat, and call it "Super magic elven dragon spell.wav" - unless it ends up sounding really good).
User should probably mention tools used in the description, both for legal and educational purposes.

Voice sets have a minimum of 2 What, 3 Yes, and 2 YesAttack responses, Ready and Warcry are strongly recommended to have to.
Users are required to submit the generic voice set that fits his submitted files (e.g. that minimum is based on Hydrolisk soundset, so user would have to specify its inteded to replace Creep/Hydrolisk sounds)
Exceptions can be made if user is specifically aiming to replace something tiny, like Zombie or Wolf soundset.
Probably a good thought to require the user to write the lines of voice set in the description, so anyone can quickly see if the voice set fits them.

Obviously sound must fit in Warcraft III style, not be overly loud, no overly long lines for voice sets, size as low as possible, etc etc etc.

Oh, and it should be linkable with models/skins/icons/spells, in case someone is making a sound set for a specific model or spell or map.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Sound sets must be at least 75% user's own recordings, and at the same time not be recordings of someone else's work.
That's funny. I'd love an essay on it.
Voice sets have a minimum of 2 What, 3 Yes, and 2 YesAttack responses, Ready and Warcry are strongly recommended to have to.
Sure but first, BlizzEnt has to make custom sound sets a thing.
Obviously sound must fit in Warcraft III style, not be overly loud, no overly long lines for voice sets, size as low as possible, etc etc etc.
Well, it depends on what people are working on... Some do creative (non-Warcraft) stuff even though within the World Editor.

Level 9
Sure but first, BlizzEnt has to make custom sound sets a thing.
So far it would be intended to replace existing ones. Hydrolisk, Runner, Malfurion would be common picks, I guess.

Well, it depends on what people are working on... Some do creative stuff even though within the World Editor.
Well, such things would be judged on case-by-case basis. Rules would be for general stuff. I mean, isn't it the same way with models/skins?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I mean, isn't it the same way with models/skins?
Well, yeah, we have models that really don't look Warcraft III at all but hey, that's actually throwing the horse glasses away.
Hydrolisk
Evolution complete!
kelly-toki-hydroeditss.jpg

Rui

Rui

Level 41
So something that I feel would be an absolutely wonderful addition to the site would be a section where users who make their own music and / or sound effects could post them to be used on people's maps.
Before the Hive embarks on that, it should be aware of the possible consequences. See what's happened to Newgrounds not so long ago.

TL;DR: Big companies actively sniff audio using Google's audio analysis algorithms for copyrighted material, submit takedown notices to Google automatically (even though automatically is illegal), and even file lawsuits.

Even if the section is heavily policed, I doubt the Hive can hire moderators that know every commercialized soundwave on the planet. Coincidences happen, and sometimes you end up reinventing the wheel. E.g. I always found it funny how Dulce Ponte's "Canção do Mar" sounds similar to "Protoss 1". (There is actually a version of "Canção do Mar" in which the instruments are the same, so it sounds even closer.)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

Rui

Rui

Level 41
If something is illegal we'll just take it down.
That's just the problem: 1) you don't know every music and song, therefore you can't know if it's copyrighted or not, and whether the resource you're moderating is infringing — and “illegal” in that regard —; 2) even if you did, the bot can disagree with you, as I suspect it would in the example I provided, and as is hinted in ADR3-N's article; 3) it'll file takedown requests long before you find out.
Nevertheless, @The_Silent's suggestion could work well.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
1) you don't know every music and song, therefore you can't know if it's copyrighted or not, and whether the resource you're moderating is infringing — and “illegal” in that regard —; 2) even if you did, the bot can disagree with you, as I suspect it would in the example I provided, and as is hinted in ADR3-N's article; 3) it'll file takedown requests long before you find out.
We shall ask for screenshots and stuff like that as we do in music contests. I mean, what the heck, that could have happened with those if those bots actually infiltrate as you say the do.
Who cares about reports? The companies should verify what their bots are doing. If not, they are the ones who should risk legal issues.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
The copyright laws most of the time is pretty much garbage...Imagine, if i'm going to do an orchestration of a part from the Rite of Spring by Stravinsky, use it in my map, and upload it here, is that going to be copyright infrigement? That would be completely retarded. A good artist doesn't imitate, he steals and manipulates the music in his way. The copyright laws in these kind of stuff just show how ignorant and close-minded people are.
You need to ask permission from the owner of the song
From who? Dead Stravinsky? Do I also need permission to make a t-shirt with drawing of Sonic characters for myself to use?
Sounds like Ligeti when a piece of his work was used for a movie soundstrack, he just made a giant drama instead of being grateful for becoming known and watching his music being played.

Would be really cool to have a repo of effects, voices and music ready to use!

Effects are allowed as long as the tool in question allows non-profit blah-blah-blah, but user's own work must be heard under all the effects and be the main theme (for lack of better word) of the recording (i.e. so people don't just take a sound of cat burp, shower it with billion effects so you can barely hear the cat, and call it "Super magic elven dragon spell.wav" - unless it ends up sounding really good).
User should probably mention tools used in the description, both for legal and educational purposes.
I don't think anything but the end result should be under any scrutiny. It's impossible to know what software was used to create a sound file, so it can't be enforced in any meaningful way. Also if someone creates a cool sound effect with no recording at all, just some creative audio editing, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.
And I don't think any artist is ever under any legal obligation to share which tools they use to create something. There's no rule for this in any of the other reource sections, so this shouldn't be any different.

So yeah, I don't think it would require too many specific rules not already covered in other sections.

Level 9
I don't think anything but the end result should be under any scrutiny. It's impossible to know what software was used to create a sound file, so it can't be enforced in any meaningful way. Also if someone creates a cool sound effect with no recording at all, just some creative audio editing, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

I just thought that would emulate the "no just filters for icons/skins / no simple geoset edits for models" rules that Hive got.

Status
Not open for further replies.